Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-18, 11:34

Plan: Keto
Stats: 339/338/220 Male 74'
BF:
Progress:
Default What was my body doing w/ Fat pre-Keto?

Hi there,

I am just starting the ketogenic diet and have been reading how my body needs to 'learn' how to burn fat for energy instead of carbs. Which begs the question - what was my body doing w/ fat before I started this Keto diet?

Also - just conquered my first craving. It's lunchtime, I'm hungry and on vacation, drove by one of my all-time fave Chinese buffets and didn't stop although the desire was strong. Progress!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-18, 11:51
Registered Member

Plan: Keto + IF
Stats: 260/300/165 Male 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: -42%

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the body is always burning Glucose (From Glycogen), Fatty Acids (directly), and Ketones (indirect from Fatty Acids), in various proportions.

On a high carb diet the above proportions are skewed toward Glucose, while on a low carb diet the proportions are skewed toward Fatty Acids and Ketones.

I'd like to know the percentages in each case if anyone knows.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-18, 20:15
Registered Member

Plan: Keto + IF
Stats: 260/300/165 Male 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: -42%

I also forgot to mention that the proportions depend on the intensity level of any exercise you may or may not be doing.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-18, 04:55

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

If you were eating carbs and fat together (a doughnut) it was burning mostly glucose for energy, small amount of FA, and stuffing any extra fat into the fat cells to store for the next famine, aka oxidative priority.*After it runs out of space in the fat cells, it will stuff extra fat into liver, and other organs. So if insulin rarely gets low enough to tap that energy from your body's fat stores because you are eating/digesting glucose most all of your waking hours, as you said, your body needs to relearn how to access all that fat energy stored away in the fat cells.

*alcohol, exogenous ketones, protein, carbohydrates, fat. (Don’t drink nor add ketones or MCT oil, eat normal amounts of real food protein, keep carbs low, and you finally get to the fat.

Dr Ted Naiman had some good simple examples and advice in this interview, even in the one minute story preview at the start of the video, he covers this.
https://highintensityhealth.com/ted...a-make-you-fat/ Whole one hour is great, can listen as a podcast too.

Congrats on passing that Chinese Buffet...learn how to make a good CrackSlaw.
Easy peasy, quicker than ordering out

Many versions here in the Kitchen forum, can also be made with chicken, shrimp, whatever favorite Chinese protein you like, or watch one of Kristie's early cooking videos. Recipe included. https://youtu.be/u8Ms3AHVoM8

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Jun-12-18 at 09:32.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-18, 16:04

Plan: Keto
Stats: 339/338/220 Male 74'
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
If you were eating carbs and fat together (a doughnut) it was burning mostly glucose for energy, small amount of FA, and stuffing any extra fat into the fat cells to store for the next famine, aka oxidative priority.*After it runs out of space in the fat cells, it will stuff extra fat into liver, and other organs. So if insulin rarely gets low enough to tap that energy from your body's fat stores because you are eating/digesting glucose most all of your waking hours, as you said, your body needs to relearn how to access all that fat energy stored away in the fat cells.

*alcohol, exogenous ketones, protein, carbohydrates, fat. (Don’t drink nor add ketones or MCT oil, eat normal amounts of real food protein, keep carbs low, and you finally get to the fat.

Dr Ted Naiman had some good simple examples and advice in this interview, even in the one minute story preview at the start of the video, he covers this.
https://highintensityhealth.com/ted...a-make-you-fat/ Whole one hour is great, can listen as a podcast too.

Congrats on passing that Chinese Buffet...learn how to make a good CrackSlaw.
Easy peasy, quicker than ordering out

Many versions here in the Kitchen forum, can also be made with chicken, shrimp, whatever favorite Chinese protein you like, or watch one of Kristie's early cooking videos. Recipe included. https://youtu.be/u8Ms3AHVoM8

Great info I really appreciate it. Yesterday at just over 32 carbs and 2100 and staying strong today. I am definitely feeling little woozy - I don't know if this is the caffeine from my coffee wearing off or the 'keto flu' I do normally get a little drowsy around this time of day so not sure how to interpret.

Thanks much!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-18, 16:16

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Be sure you are getting enough salt, you are losing a lot of water in the beginning and your electrolytes are going out with it. Good thread on that: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=445775 Dr Westman suggests the tastier remedy of two cups of salted broth (like the cube in hot water). I still can get light-headed if I forget to salt my food enough.

Other side effects here: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/side-effects

Did you also give up caffeine? That is not necessary for keto, would be hard to give up carbs and caffeine at the same time.
You will get more energy when you are in ketosis, hang in there!