Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-10-05, 20:06
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%
Default My physical today...

Well, I had it. I was NOT impressed with the Dr. I guess, with him being just out of residency, I was hoping he'd be more 'cutting edge.' When we got to talking about losing some weight, he simply said to 'reduce portion size and exercise.' He asked me if my children were heavy!! I was actually off-put by that question, as if I'm in such bad shape that I certainly must be making my children fat, too. I don't have 100 pounds to lose, I have 20-30 pounds to lose. I was probably just being over-sensitive, I'm sure.

They drew some bloodwork, which I'll be happy to see the results of. Standard CBC, lipid profile, chemistry, renal, hepatic and thyroid function.

I've had a terrible cough the last 2-1/2 weeks. Allergies, he said. He said Northern Virginia is a hotbed of allergies. I fiigured that's what it was, since we left the area for the weekend and it went away, then came back as soon as we returned. Great...now I'll probably have to take antihistamines chronically. He prescribed Allegra-D, but I don't want to take the psuedoephedrine every day (the "D" in Allegra-D) since I don't have nasal congestion, so I'm just gonna take OTC Claritin (loratidine) for now.

The biggest shocker of the appt was, just as he was walking out the door, I said, "Oh yeah, what do you make of this?" And I showed him my red, swollen joints on my right hand (outer part of the middle joint of middle and pinky fingers). He said I needed to come back and be tested for rhumatoid arthritis! You could have knocked me other with a feather. I stammered something about osteoarthritis and how I had used my right hand so extensively in my previous career, and he shook his head. He said a 40 year old should not have nodules on her hands, regardless. So I'm going back tomorrow for that appt. (He's new in the practice, so it's easy to get an appt with him.) I don't have to tell you I'm very nervous about this. These joints just happened this summer. The pinky in June and the middle finger about 2 weeks ago. The are a little sore to the touch, but only very slightly stiff. I had immediately looked up RA on the internet and dismissed it, b/c it said that usually the symptoms appear bilaterally (on both hands, that is.).
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-05, 11:25

Plan: SP
Stats: 168/159/150 Female 69 in.
BF:
Progress: 50%

Elle-- just wanted to drop in here quick on the RA issue. Since you were so helpful on my post. Regarding the hands, I understand why your doc said that. My mother has RA and Lupus and that is what her hands look like. She was diagnosed at the age of 37 and it's quite common in women in their late 30s through 40s. This is when symptoms typically appear. Her symptoms did not appear bilaterally - she first experienced problems on her left side (she is also left-handed.) Not trying to scare you, but I am glad you are getting the testing done. BTW, b/c it is an autoimmune disease, it can very easily effect many of your systems. My mom is now under the treatment of an endocrinologist, she is having thyroid troubles too (and trouble losing weight....imagine!)

The good news is, if caught early, it is quite manageable. My mother is nearing 60 and is still fairly active regardless of her issues.

I'm glad you are being tested. Again, not trying to make you fearful, just wanted to give you some first-hand (no pun intended!) insight.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-05, 13:52
Registered Member

Thank you for the reply...the Dr is also testing me for lupus.

I'm very frightened. Not b/c of what you said, but just b/c I have had the very strange feeling the something is "wrong" for the past several months. I just felt worse physically than I ever felt in my entire life. I just assumed it was all in my head with anxiety as the cause because I was taking care of 3 little kids. I'm actually more afraid of lupus than I am RA, for some reason. I think b/c it's so unpredictible.

So anyway, the appointment today was OK. He was very nice today, and I've decided that I do like him. He was very sweet and held my hand when I started to cry. He ordered several blood tests (some kind of RA panel, plus something that is a marker for lupus). I also brought up the issue of my being so easily overwhelmed by simple things like preparing dinner, and that I'm afraid that news like this will really push me over the edge. He gave me a month's supply of Lexapro (an SSRI). He said he thought it would be helpful, especially since I'm facing this new challenge. He suggested that I start taking it now, anyway, no matter what the blood tests show. But, I've decided that since the tests will be back in a day or 2 and Mark will be home until next week, not to start them until after I get the results and then decide what to do.

On a brighter note, the results of my other bloodwork were almost perfectly textbook normal. My LDL was very slightly elevated, but the total and HDL as well as triglycerides were fine. I was actually shocked that my HDL was so good, considering I haven't exercised in about 4 years! Actually, given my family history, I was just very pleased that everything was so great.

My biggest disappointment was that there was no insulin level. So, I'm still not sure whether or not I'm IR. I'm inclined to think I'm not, since everything else was so normal. DS says in book II that fat around the mid-section alone (i.e. in the absence of abnormal blood lipids) is NOT an indicator of IR.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-05, 14:55

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 165/152/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Your fat around your midsection could have happened because of excess cortisol levels. I hate to say it, but you really do sound like you are somewhere on the adrenal fatigue/exhaustion continuum (depression, unable to deal with stressful situations, allergies, inflammation). Adrenal fatigue leaves a person open to developing an auto-immune disease. If this is your problem, you will unfortunately never get all the help you need from a typical doc practicing conventional medicine.

I don't mean to sound like such a downer and I don't want to depress you. If it helps, my doctor a few years back said I had "lupus-like" symptoms and tested me. Every test I've ever had done has come back normal. I have known something was wrong for years (since my mid twenties). There was a time when I was worried about RA too. I woke in the morning feeling so stiff, I had numbness and tingling all over the place. I even had the sensation of my left leg from the knee down of being asleep. This sensation lasted for at least a year. Most people would think there was something seriously wrong with them if they were feeling those symptoms, and I sure did. I've had lots of normal tests come back and quite frankly look spectacular on paper from a medical standpoint. Now I know what is wrong with me, but my doctor doesn't.

Pray your tests come back normal, they really might. You can have lots of hope. In his book on adrenal fatigue, Dr. Wilson says any time you have inflammation, it is because you don't have enough cortisol circulating. That's why people get allergies. It could explain the swelling on you fingers too. I sure hope so.

Oh I hope I haven't frustated you. I know you just want to be the best mom you can to your little kids. You deserve to be able to enjoy this special stage of their lives.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-05, 18:24
Registered Member

Well, thanks for the hope! My prayer, too, is that everything comes back normal, too. I won't worry so much if everything is normal! I'll just continue trying to eat better and sleep better. If anything, this 'scare' is really driving the need to take care of myself FIRST home to me. I can't take care of anyone else if I'm not caring my for myself first. This has also caused me to look at my children and hubby, not differently, but just try to appreciate them more. My symptoms haven't been anything like yours. Just intense sporadic fatigue, the aforementioned lifelong anxiety, and 2 swollen joints, plus the feeling that 'something is wrong.'
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-18-05, 17:24
Registered Member

Just wanted to give you an update.

Got my lab results today...one of my tests (ANA) was positive and was VERY high (1:640). It's the test that screens for lupus, but is not definitive. It merely shows a very high level of autoantibodies indicating high levels of autoimmune activity. Next step is a rhuematologist.

Last edited by ElleH : Fri, Aug-19-05 at 08:02.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-05, 00:40

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 322/240/140 Female 5'6''
BF:I have no idea
Progress: 45%

Hang in there Elle, try to take things one day at a time.

I enjoy your posts. marty
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Aug-22-05, 16:38

Plan: Schwarzbein/0 Blood type
Stats: 155/145/130 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 40%

I agree with toopoles, you do have great posts. Hopefully they
can get to the bottom of your problem. Sounds like whatever it is, you were definitely listening to your body and fatigue,and knew something wasn't right. Keep us posted!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Sep-08-05, 11:55
Registered Member

The tests I got back from the rhematologist were all normal. Said to follow up as needed, whatever that means!!! I guess it means if I develop new or worsening symptoms. A "false alarm" I guess. But a good wake-up call to take better care of myself!

Thanks for all your support!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Sep-08-05, 13:25

BF:

Elle
I am wondering about you checking out the blood type diet by Peter D'Adamo. It talks about eating foods that agree with your blood type and avoiding those that are considered "lectins" that
somehow effect us negatively. I am type O, and wheat,corn,
and sometimes soy can cause autoimmune type problems.
There is a website at
http://dadamo.com I think that is it. I'll check though.
At least your tests were negative, that is great!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Sep-08-05, 17:12
Registered Member

I am B. I remember it said I'm supposed to be able to eat anthing, I think.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Sep-09-05, 10:30

BF:

Elle,
A big avoid for B's is chicken. It is one food that alot of b's love
before finding out it can be a problem. B's are supposed to be
fine with turkey though. Lamb is an excellent meat for b's. I think
peanuts are not allowed, and wheat can be a problem also. One other thing I remember is that both type b's and o's tend to be
carbohydrate sensitive, so it follows that the Schwarbein plan is
an excellent one for that. I am just putting this out there, don't want to be pushy about it. I do better if I follow my "beneficials
and avoids". For me wheat is a big one. Oh and I think soy isn't
so good for b's also. Again, I am glad that you do not have lupus! That would be really difficult to deal with.....
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Sep-09-05, 11:20
Registered Member

What's the problem with chicken and B's? I don't know what we'd eat if we can't eat chicken. Wow, I thought I remembered that b was tolerant to all foods, being an 'evolved' type. I don't like turkey or lamb (aside from the once a year Thanksgiving and Easter, respectively). My hubby likes lamb,the kids don't. Me and the kids like beef, hubby can take it or leave it. I like pork, but the rest of my family doesn't. The only thing we all like is chicken. We all like seafood, too, but the cost of that keeps us to about once a month on that.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Sep-09-05, 12:17

BF:

I know what you mean about chicken. My family is mostly type
O, with 2 b's, my husband and one son. But we still have it at least once a week. I try to use turkey slices or tenderloins more often than chicken. My daughter won't touch lamb, but most of us like it if it's marinated in something. We all like beef. And fish
is like you said, expensive, and I hate to buy it and then not cook it correctly. We like to eat fish if we go out instead, but that doesn't happen much lately. Apparently, there is some type of "lectin" in chicken that agglutinates the blood of type B's. It's all in Eat Right 4 Your Type, the book, and Live Right
4 Your Type. I don't think I could have followed it when the kids were smaller, it was hard just to eat healthy with them all.
But it is easier now that they are older. B's generally do well on
most dairy products, while O's do not. So again, Schwarzbein's
cookbooks are great there. It's just a thought as far as autoimmunity problems are concerned, another avenue to explore. But when things are too hard to follow, it isn't worth it.
I say we do the best we can most of the time, right?
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Mar-24-06, 20:42
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo/my own
Stats: 215/220/140 Female 5'8''
BF:
Progress: -7%

actually type B cannot eat just anything, and you might indeed be having some dietary reactions, even Dr Schwarzbein reccomends doing some eliminations....