Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 17:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 158/153/130 Female 5'7"
BF:Under Construction
Progress: 18%
Default Foods that help clear skin (facial skin)?

My skin has been crappy for the past 2-3 weeks. I don't know what it is...

but besides aloe, anything you know of that will help skin clear up from breakouts?

Last edited by katgurl : Fri, Oct-17-03 at 17:43.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 17:46
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

water.

Drink lots and lots of water. Its great for the skin.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 17:57

I really really do. See my thread about daily water consumption. I drink TONS.
I wonder if it is an allergic reaction to something I have been eating? Weird.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 18:46
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default Try these?

Found this for ya,

hope it helps.

-MJ-

EAT YOUR SKIN HEALTHY
story by Brenda Mapane from True Love
Introducing your smartest new beauty tool: the fork! Use it to eat the right foods‚ and you could be on your way to healthier, smoother skin, with fewer wrinkles and a brighter complexion.

Eating your way to beautiful skin is easier than you think. The following 10 foods are all excellent nourishers and moisturisers of skin. Include them as a regular part of your diet, and you'll notice a difference in your skin before long:
1. Dark, leafy greens
Function: Combat acne and help prevent break-outs.
Richly coloured, leafy greens such as spinach are full of anti-oxidants, which are essential for healthy skin and warding off dangerous free radicals that can lead to skin cancers. They're also a great source of iron. "Women who don't get enough iron sometimes find dark circles under their eyes," says Elizabeth Somer‚ author of The Origin Diet (Henry Holt). Leafy greens also contain zinc. In one Swedish study, acne-prone patients who added a zinc supplement to their diets saw 85% of skin blemishes clear up after three months. Zinc also helps break down damaged collagen‚ allowing new collagen to form.

2. Olive oil
Function: Defeats dryness in skin and promotes radiance.
A certain amount of fats and oils are essential in a diet and are key to a smooth‚ supple skin. People with persistently dry, flaky skin will find that adding fats and oils to their regular food intake results in moister, more elastic, youthful-looking skin within a few weeks. One tablespoon of olive oil a day, either in salads or used to prepare food, is usually sufficient to replenish dull, dry skin. And if clogged pores are a problem‚ the essential fats in olive oil help clear them by thinning the oils they secrete.

3. Water
Function: Moisturises, helps eliminate toxins and promotes general well-being.
"Dehydrated skin looks ashen and grey and hangs off the face‚" says Dr Ncoza Ndlova, cosmetic, occupational and general dermatologist. "Water is the best dull skin reviver." Hydrated skin looks moist and plump‚ which makes existing wrinkles less obvious. To see results, make sure you drink at least eight glasses of water daily – more if you work out.

4. Broccoli
Function: Keeps skin elastic and youthful.
Skin-sensational broccoli packs some of the highest levels of the anti-oxidant Vitamins A and C in any food‚ as well as skin cancer-fighting chemicals‚ says Wilma Bergfeld‚ MD of clinical research in the department of dermatology at the Cleveland Clinic Foundation, USA. And Vitamin C helps keep skin elastic and prevents bruising, while Vitamin A aids in healing acne from the inside out by boosting resistance to infection‚ says Dr Nicholas Perricone‚ assistant clinical professor of dermatology at Yale University School of Medicine, USA.

5. Berries
Function: Fight wrinkles and promote firmness.
Berries are a great source of polyphenols (powerful anti-oxidants that are currently being studied for their anti-ageing capabilities). Berries have also been shown to protect short-term memory and balance. Blueberries pack three times the anti-oxidant punch of an orange and a hefty handful of strawberries contains all the anti-oxidant Vitamin C your body requires each day to reconstruct your collagen‚ the "scaffolding" that keeps skin from sagging.

6. Salmon
Function: Reduces inflammation and helps lubricate skin.
Salmon is teeming with omega-3 fatty acids‚ which attack arid skin areas and help reduce inflamed blemishes. These fatty acids are also found in mackerel‚ bass and trout. Alternatively, 2g of fish-oil supplement (available at health stores) contains the same amount of healthy fats as 114g of salmon. Or try adding flaxseed oil and nuts to your morning cereal. Fatty fish and nuts also contain zinc‚ which heals acne flare-ups and increases cell growth.

7. Melon
Function: Prevents flaking skin and wrinkles.
Melons are full of carotene-like compounds such as lycopene‚ which reduces the deep-down collagen damage that causes wrinkles. Three slices a day are recommended. Melon rind is also a great source of beta carotene‚ which is converted to Vitamin A. This nutrient prevents keratonic plugs‚ the rough patches that are often found on the back of the arms and elbows.

8. Soy
Function: Prevents blemishes.
Whether in its original fuzzy form or transformed into tofu‚ the soya bean is a skin-saver. It's full of chemicals that act like oestrogen and may help prevent acne. Dermatologists recommend eating several servings per week (85g of tofu or half a cup of soya beans equal one serving). Another soy bonus is that it's loaded with Vitamin E‚ which boosts new cell growth, heals scar tissue and keeps skin moist.

9. Carrots
Function: Help prevent wrinkles and promote a healthy glow.
Crunch all you want – carrots are bursting with the beta-carotene your body transforms into Vitamin A‚ which is key to keeping wrinkled skin at bay. You'll also find this nutrient in other orange fruits and vegetables‚ such as apricots and sweet potatoes.

10. Oatmeal
Function: Eliminates toxins and encourages cell growth.
Go for the slow-cooked‚ non-instant oatmeal traditionally served as a breakfast porridge. You'll get a dose of fibre that‚ once converted‚ helps filter toxins and raises your clear-skin potential. It's also rich in Vitamin B‚ which promotes new skin cell growth.

Vitamin guide to a healthy skin and body:

Vitamin A
Keeps the skin soft and smooth and protects it. Keeps hair shiny and promotes growth.
Sources: Fish, butter, milk, yellow fruit and vegetables – eg papaya, pineapple, carrot and pumpin.

Vitamin C
Keeps skin firm, unlined and youthful. Strengthens collagen, the supportive tissue of the skin. Prevents hair loss.
Sources: Lemons, oranges, sprouted grains, green leafy vegetables and tomatoes.

Vitamin B complex
Protects the good health of skin and hair. Contributes to the shine of the hair and healthy nail growth, and delays age-related changes. Also helps prevent dandruff and hair loss.
Sources: Wholewheat bread, unprocessed rice, oats, soya beans, fresh fruits and vegetables, cottage cheese.

Vitamin E
Helps retard ageing, keeping skin smooth and wrinkle-free. Also protects the skin from early degeneration caused by exposure to sunlight, chemical pollutants, harsh weather, etc.
Sources: Whole grains, polyunsaturated oils, green vegetables, almonds, eggs, liver.

Minerals
Include iron, iodine, copper, zinc and selenium. These are essential for healthy skin, hair, nails and bones.
Sources: Green, leafy vegetables, whole grains, pulses, beans, seafood, eggs, cottage cheese, fruit, vegetables, mushrooms, onions and iodised salt.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 19:14
Registered Member

Stats: 130/126/~115 Female 63 & 1/4 inches
BF:22%/20%
Progress:

Are you taking vitamins daily? If not, it really would be best to start. Even with 2-3 cups of veggies, it is practically impossible to get all the vitamins/nutrients you need. They really do wonderful things to help your skin.

'Natural' lavender soap works well for me, too.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 19:35
Registered Member

Stats: 157/147/125 Female 5'3''
BF:28
Progress: 31%

hehe katgurl, i will sound like an infomercial but i will swear proactive works. proactive.com

my face feels like a baby's skin.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 19:35

Plan: Fuhrmann
Stats: 248/229.5/170 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Do you get alpha linoleic acid in your diet, and not too much saturated fat or junky carbs?

At this stage (pre-maintenance?), you may be out of ketosis a lot of the time. Could be the saturated fats aren't burning away like they used to.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 20:02
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

sometimes it's not what you don't eat, but what you do. I find, for example large amounts of cottage cheese make my skin really bad - as with any dairy product. At other times when I've gone astray and my skin won't be great, but it's not bad.. once I get back on track very clean and strict I'll break out before clearing up. I think it's a detox thing.

Meg
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 20:42

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/143/125 Female 5-6
BF:got/luv/handles
Progress: 49%

People use to always think that chocolate and greesy foods breakout skin. Well all of this has been proven wrong, so its really hard to say, Im not sure where I stand on the issue.

Here is a facial made with food

Grind up oatmeal
then mix in chamamile tea (not sure how its spelt)

Apply to face, then let dry
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Oct-18-03, 06:08

i do use proactiv, and i LOVE it. i t solved a HUGE acne problem i had. now i am just dealing with one big pimple once in a while, and it seems to ahve started since i began low carbing :/

and i do take a multivitamin.

i will try more dark leafy greens
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Oct-18-03, 07:36

Stats: 166/125.5/130 Female 66"
BF:24%
Progress: 113%

I had that trouble for a while too. I felt like a teenager again with the acne I was having. I kept telling myself it was just another way my body was trying to get rid of all the nasty stuff I'd been storing up by eating unhealthily before this WOE. It seems to have stopped now (knock on wood)

Julie
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-03, 02:10

Plan: Lower Carb/glycemic foods
Stats: 179.5/163.5/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 29%

I've noticed, if I get hair products (hairspray, gel ect) on my skin, wheeeee, zit fest. Try keeping you skin cleaner. i.e. if you use the proactive in the morning, make sure to wash twice more a day etc, etc. I have very good skin now, but I'm very keen on the cleaning and what products I use on my hair and face.

I am 28 (oh creak. LOL) and I have some forehead wrinkles. I think I'm the only one that notices. I smile too darn much!!! LOL. I'd rather be a wrinkly happy chic than a grumpy one.

Hugs and good luck!

Kristi

Last edited by KristiTalm : Sun, Oct-19-03 at 02:11.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-03, 04:41

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 193/167/150 Female 5'10?
BF:
Progress: 60%

I must be the only one in the world, but I returned my proactiv after a few months(beginning of this year).After that I thought I was a real loser, everyones acne gets better with proactiv but me. I think my problem all these years was washing my face with soap or other cleansers (that were supposed to be good for the skin) and touching my face with my fingers . I keep my hands off my face ,I dont even touch it to scratch, I use something else. It took me until I was 36 to figure this out. I also stopped using hot water to wash face .I use cooler water now. I had a few breakouts at the beginning of this woe,but haven't had any for a while ,not even with tom.