Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-01-03, 23:30

Plan: WW Lowcarb style
Stats: 280/269.5/250 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 35%
Question Acanthosis Nigricans? anyone else have this?

In the first trimester of pregnancy I started noticing this brownish, velvety patches of rough skin between my breast and under my armpits. My Dr. said that it was a pregnancy symptom, so I let it go.. My daughter is now 9 months old and I still have these nasty looking patches and now my doctor tells me that it looks like a gunfus!!! after a lot of research I found out what is called and that it is not a fungus! It is related to high levels of insulin and other conditions..
Do any of you ladies have this? I am worried that it could be something else.
Thanks for reading!
Take care
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-13-03, 08:09
Registered Member

Plan: modified Atkins/Sugar Busters
Stats: 198.5/185/130
BF:
Progress: 20%

yes, i have it. was diagnosed over 10 years ago. i was prescribed lac-hydrin lotion and when that didnt work, retin-a.
over the years it lightened up when i was at a healthier weight. basically iw as told to "live iwth it" and that there wasnt a whole lot. not exactly what i wnted to hear. i tried some skin bleaching cream in the area on my between the breasts, but it didnt do much. the best results were lightening of the skin, but no difference int eh texture.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-13-03, 11:12
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 317/290/160
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default I have the same thing...

Luisa,

Hi, just wanted you to know you weren't alone. I have the same thing. I have been told that it's yet another wonderful symptom of PCOS (like the hair growth and weight gain aren't enough?). Anyway, I've never really tried anything to get rid of it, it's something I've just come to terms with. I will say that it has lightened a bit and nothing new has appeared since I started on the metformin and low-carbing.

Take care, Jen
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-13-03, 11:22

BF:

Thanks to both of you for replying to my post.
I have since gotten the horrible patches in the inside of my left arm
I went to the doctor and he did a bunch of blood test to see how my insulin is so we'll see!
Thanks again
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 08:14

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 192/167/145 Female 5 ft 4in
BF:
Progress: 53%

I think I get these.... they come and go
always under my arms (from the pits to half way down the underside of my arms.)
Mine do clear up and go away for months at a time (like right now, they're gone.) I just thought it was either chaffing from my arms rubbing my sides of the beginning of psoriasis (my dad suffered with this from age 20 until he passed)

Kara
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-03, 18:32
Registered Member

Plan: PPLP/Schwarzbein
Stats: 183/152/140 Female 5 foot 4 1/2
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'm pretty sure i have a patch of A.N. on my back. It's always been there, but fades and then gets darker. It looks like someone threw a handful of sand at me and it stuck. It almost totally disappeared at the end of my pregnancy and for my first few post-partum months. I'm not sure if that's what it really is, or if it's something else, but i read a description of A.N the other day and i think it probably is.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-03, 02:09
Don't Call Me Sugar

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%

I tend to have this. I have a dark ring around my neck that looks like I haven't washed it, and my armpits and sometimes my inside elbows as well.

The first time I was put on metformin they really lightened, especially the neck. But another doctor made me stop taking it. I'm on it again now, but the dark spots aren't budging.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-03, 09:34

BF:
Default Hi!

Thanks for replying to my post.
yes it does sound just like you are describing the nasty patches. I have them on the neack, inner elbow and armpits and between my breast. What I don't understand is why I got my test result for the glucose and it's normal. then why do I have this? I am worried it could be something else. I am going to see a dermatologist about it
well ladies thanks again
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-28-03, 20:17

Plan: here and there since 11/02
Stats: 233/?/140 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 24%

Hi Luisa-

Went to the derm too! said nothing we can do about it... like the others i have tried lighteners.. nothing has worked.. the derm md said nothing would work...

just a symptom of early diabetes/insulin levels out of wack!... even though glucose levels are normal.. (so are mine and they are going down even further since i started AD).

They came on for me when i gained my last 30 pounds...

MD said it would go away once I reached a "normal weight"??
I have it on the back of my neck, inside of my elbows and it was starting on my wrists... but since I started AD the wrists have cleared up!

It is kind of one of those medical triads... PCOS, Diabetes/Insulin and overweight...but if we can overcome the roundness and be a "normal-healthy" weight.. all of this should go away.

It is becoming very common ... now with so many people o/weight. And medical providers are seeing it more.

I know the feeling.. when i get my blood drawn.. I start explaining that it is a skin condition and NOT my lack of showering!! Ha!

Luisa, thanks for starting this thread and thanks for letting me write!

Take care,
M
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-28-03, 20:30
Registered Member

Plan: Fat Flush Plan
Stats: 320/282/165
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Ring Around the Collar

I have always seemed to look like my neck was not washed good, even when I was a kid, and at a more normal weight. My mum would get so frustrated with me, admonishing me to wash my neck, and threatening to take me down and scrub me until I was clean! I have rubbed and rubbed and rubbed and rubbed and the dern thing is STILL there! My friend's nephew is only 4, but he is really overweight, and they were told by his dr. that the darkish ring around his neck was a precursor to diabetes... and sure enough, the poor kid got it. I decided to do some checking on it, and it sounds like what I have had on my neck all these years. It is embarrassing at times, because I love to wear my hair up, and it makes my neck look like I have been rolling in the dirt! I am not aware of it being anywhere else.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 08:28

BF:
Talking Miss Melis & Shadow Q

Thanks for replying . It is so annoying I have lost a few lbs since I started locarbing but they will not lighten up. the worst is between my breast . I got this while I was pregnant and now that I think about it my glucose was high during my pregnancy I almost had gestational diabetes. so I guess we're stuck looking dirty!! lol
Hey have you guys thought about making a journal? that way we can keep in touch and share our experiences! take care ladies!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 23:37
Don't Call Me Sugar

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%
Thumbs up Well then, gals,

Clearly the best thing we could be doing to get rid of these darn skin patches, is exactly what we are doing: low carb, exercise, and medication if needed!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 10:36
Registered Member

Plan: Insulin Resistant diet
Stats: 320/240/138
BF:44%/33%/19%
Progress: 44%

I have had AN for 17 years. I weighed 138lbs till 5 years ago. So I know my weight wasnt a factor. But it is a sign of high insulin. Since I have been on glucophage it is disappearing , plus the weight loss helps too

Exercise, dieting and glucophage will take care of it
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-03, 23:02

Plan: here and there since 11/02
Stats: 233/?/140 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 24%

.... thanks April S....

... we are on the right path.....

take care,

M-
  #15   ^