Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-20-02, 23:19
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 280/270/200
BF:
Progress: 13%
Smile can i assume....

that most of you vegi/LCers are not wieght lifters too? one thing i do know about wieght lifting is the very high protein requirement. 1-2.5g per pound of lean mass (mustle) a day. for me that is a lot of protein 20-50r per meal. lots of you talk of only eating 100g a day and if you are cutting out lots of carbs then the rest of your colories must be coming from fat? anyway as it stands for me im pretty sure know how to only eat 20-30g of carbs a day and still be a vegitaran but again i eat way more protein. another issue is that even though i know dietary fat is needed i still dont like it high fat foods do not sit well in my stomic anymore same goes for most dary, thats why i grink soy milk now and eat soy cheese. rich foods make me sick to my stomic. i dont eat any sweets at all anymore and am still amazed how easy that was. so i do wonder if ill run ito problems if i cut out the carbs stay with the high prtein but dont up the fat too. there is not many places that i know of to get fat if i dont eat dary or meat. though i will still eat tuna as it does have fat so that might end up being my primary fat source. i alos take flax seed oil supliments too. oh an i do use extra vergin olive oil in my cooking, though again to much oil makes me sick.

now i just need to figure out how to make it all add up to 2400 calories a day. thats gonna be the tough art of all this.

anyway any feed back would be apretiated thank you.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 08:05
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Hello! I hope you're still around; this forum is fairly quiet.

>>"...most of you vegi/LCers are not wieght lifters too..."

Many are. I do resistance training twice a week, but I'm not interested in getting any stronger/bulkier than I already am. I'm hardly a body builder. I usually end up with 80-120 g protein per day. IIRC, there's a lot of debate over how much extra protein one needs when building muscle.

I find it easy to get enough protein: I eat plenty of eggs, cheese, soy products and protein powder, occasionally.

>>"only eat 20-30g of carbs a day..."

Were you thinking of doing Atkins? Other programs allow more carbs than that. Also, a lot of folks on this board bump up their carb intake on workout days.

Yes, cutting carbs makes it more necessariy to get calories from fat, but I know what you mean about the greasy stuff. Salad dressings, peanut butter, cheese, eggs, and (double!) cream in my coffee pretty much takes care of it for me. Tuna doesn't have a lot of fat unless it's packed in oil. If you don't eat dairy, probably the easiest way to boost your fat intake is to be a little more generous with it on your veggies - salad dressing, dip, or some butter or olive oil on cooked veggies.

HTH.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-29-02, 19:45

Plan: Veggie Low Carb
Stats: 155/155/115 Female 5'4"
BF:34%
Progress: 0%
Default sources of veggie fat

Hi there

Here are some good sources of fat (vegan)

--avocados (1 med. avocado has only 4 usable carbs)
--olives
--raw nuts and seeds (carb counts on these vary, so check USDA site)
--cold-pressed flax, hemp, coconut, and olive oils

I am new to the low carb lifestyle, but I really think it's the way to go. I used to be on a mostly vegan raw food diet. The diet was amazing compared to the regular processed grain vegetarian diet I was on before. However, after a while I became very sensitive to the ups and downs of sugar. I was eating quite a bit of high-GI foods like sweet and dried fruit. Because of so much insulin in my blood, I was never feeling satisfied and therefore overeating.

Going back to eating cooked and processed food didn't do me any good. I gained weight, my energy levels decreased, and more than ever I was a sugar addict. Now I know that instead of going back to processed grains I should have simply given up the sweet fruit and eaten more fat and protein. I LOVE avocados. Now I'll be able to eat them more :-)

If I include soy-based foods in my diet + raw cheese/butter in addition to eating the above sources of fat and lots of low-GI/low-carb veggies, I'll be able to reshape my body and feel good about myself again.

I look forward to communicating with any low-carb vegetarians out there.

Leti

PS: I have been working out with regularity (weights and cardio) during the past year. Results have been slow to come by thou, bcuz of my high-carb diet. I really think I've found a lifesaver in a low-carb way of life.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Oct-12-02, 17:44

Plan: Atkins KISS
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Hi. I eat mostly lc vegs with my favorite fats (mayo, butter/ranch).
I also eat VERY small amounts of chicken and fish (okay, I'm not totallly vegan - forgive me), but I do eat eggs regularly and a little cheese. And I eat really not much else. I don't particularly like much else. I eat large quantities of foods that I do eat/get plenty of calories - fat and protein.

Thought I'd chime on in.
N