Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-13, 07:21

Plan: Auto-immune Protocol
Stats: 295/189/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 73%
Default PCOS? Me??

Both of my sisters have recently been diagnosed with Hashi's Thyroid disease, so I figured the odds were that I had it too. My symptoms seemed to suggest that... mood swings and depression, fatigue, difficulty losing weight, etc.

My doc did the same panel of tests she did on them and...surprise, surprise, I don't have Hashi's, but PCOS! Accompanied by some serious Insulin Resistance.

I never considered myself a candidate for PCOS because my periods are quite regular, I'm more or less hairless all over (except for my head), and I rarely get acne. However, my testosterone is high, my other sex hormones are disproportionate, and I gain weight in my tummy.

I'm still adjusting to what this diagnosis will mean for me. It certainly explains how difficult it is for me to lose weight. The lowest I've ever gotten was 175, and that was eating 1000-1200 calories a day (not low carbing), and over-exercising to the point of exhaustion. And after my initial induction weight loss, I never did lose any more eating low-carb, I was just able to maintain more easily.

I am on 500mg of extended release metformin once a day, and in a week we'll increase it to 1000mg. I understand that met is not a "magic bullet" for weight loss, but I'm hoping that when combined with a low-carb diet and exercise, it might actually help move things along rather than keep me hovering at 190 forever.

Any advice or tips from the rest of you? Thanks...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-13, 07:45

Plan: Auto-immune Protocol
Stats: 295/189/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 73%

I feel that I should add that she prescribed me the met not just because of PCOS, but because my AC1 is 5.9 even though I have been eating low carb consistently since November 2012. So technically I am in the pre-diabetic range even with low-carb eating.

Curiously, I'm also very anemic and Vitamin D deficient.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-24-13, 20:42

Plan: LC Primal
Stats: 290/270/160 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 15%

Keep in mind Metformin isn't technically for fertility or menstrual regularity.
It's a diabetes drug.The reproductive benefits on PCOS come from the Metformin treating the IR.

On it's own, I find Metformin not that helpful, but combined with a low carb diet I think it is.

Since you have PCOS with IR (I do too), I'd recommend focusing on treating the IR because it will most likely improve your PCOS symptoms too.
I'm assuming you aren't currently trying to get pregnant?

I can't really give advice that because I was diagnosed with PCOS at 14, and I'm still not ready to have kids so I haven't been down that route.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-25-13, 13:06
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

And make sure you take at least 50,000 IU vitamin D/week. Vitamin D can reverse PCOS and help regulate hormones. Bio-Tech is the brand that has 50,000 IU and you can purchase it at amazon.com.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-05-14, 19:40

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 163/121/135 Female 5ft. 7 inches
BF:Just perfect:)
Progress: 150%
Default Pcos

I wasn't aware I had PCOS until 4 years ago trying to conceive unsuccessfully since I was 24 years old! Had irregular/absent menses every 6 mos. all my life, amongst numerous symptoms.

This is how I treated my own PCOS & became fertile at 42 years old! As No doctor had the natural cure for my PCOS.

1. Lost weight low carb/paleo
2. Vitamin D supplements
3. Light/moderate exercise/ brisk walking, stopped jogging!
4. Yoga or deep breathing (stress relief)
5. Messages
6. Cinnamon tea with cinnamon sticks
7. Tons of Sage tea!!!

I got pregnant naturally twice when every doctor told me it was not possible at the age of 42! I reversed ALL of my PCOS and have never felt better in my life gained only 16 pounds during my very healthy pregnancy and delivery and lost 24 lbs. within ONE week of delivering my son!

Last edited by koolaunt : Sun, Jan-05-14 at 19:46. Reason: Adding
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-14, 19:46

Plan: Paelo
Stats: 205/185.2/155 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 40%

Hi Koolaunt, Thanks for sharing your story. I, too, have PCOS. I would love to have another child. IVF is out of the question now, (we did it once, I fell pregnant, but the baby didn't make it.)

Will you please tell me know you made your teas? How often you drank them? Also, how much Vit D did you take and did you take any other supplements?

Thanks in advance!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-14, 19:30

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 163/121/135 Female 5ft. 7 inches
BF:Just perfect:)
Progress: 150%

Hi Alocin,

Anytime! I sent you a message! Sorry, haven't been on forums.

Plz let me know if you need anything else! I will check the vitamin D supplement, but that depends on your deficiency mine was very low according to my blood work. I am nice taking them every other day.