Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 12:08
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Lightbulb PCOS - basic info. and some lowcarb-friendly links ..

I'd posted this information to another member in their journal, and it occured to me that other folks may find this helpful as well

If you know of other lowcarb-friendly PCOS resources such as websites or books, post here to let us know

Doreen

=====================================

Not every girl or woman diagnosed with PCOS will have or develop all the known symptoms. Yes, fertility can be affected, but that doesn't necessarily mean total infertility. Many women do conceive on their own, others require medical intervention .. and some women may never conceive at all.

There may be a genetic link, but it hasn't been proven. Some cases of PCOS occur without a family history of this or any other insulin resistance syndrome. And it may be triggered by side effect of certain anti-seizure medication (valproic acid).

Low-carbing (combined with exercise) has been shown to help control and reverse the insulin resistance and ultimately the PCOS symptoms, as one would expect. But it's mostly anecdotal, and not all "experts" are agreed or approve of this approach Just like diabetes. So, it might be wise to "shop around" for a Reproductive Endocrinologist who is familiar with and approves of carb-controlled diets. I hope this will get easier over time, as more physicians become aware of the truth ..

I searched around the web for the best sites with information about PCOS and which supported low-carbing. There are a bazillion sites, many of which are personal webpages or unmoderated support resources which are useful, but tend to be filled with misinformation .. and vegetarians.

- PCOS Frequently Asked Questions .. from the InterNational Council on Infertility Information Dissemination (INCIID) has been one that I've referred to often. The information is well-researched and reliable, IMO. It includes a review of various LC diet plans.

- SoulCysters.com - is a professionally maintained personal site. It is friendly and informative .. much of the info. is presented in message-board format. Low-carb supportive.

- Poly-Cystic Ovary Syndrome - "PCOS" - isn't a website, it's a medical article/pamphlet with excellent information about the etiology, diagnosis and various medical treatments for PCOS and its symptoms, especially hirsutism. Only problem .. it doesn't address diet at all Of course, it's geared to drs, so stresses drug therapies. But still useful nonetheless.

- this isn't a useful website, it's an article posted this past February at BBC Inside Out ... FERTILITY FEARS. Don't be eating when you read it, you'll choke. And don't have a knife in your hand, you'll be tempted to stab somebody .. unless you have plenty of willpower

There's a link in that article to a UK-based PCOS support group .. Women's-Health.co.uk .. but unfortunately they promote a "nice low fat low sugar diet"

Last edited by doreen T : Mon, Apr-25-05 at 16:18. Reason: updated FAQ link
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 13:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/185.5/155 Female 5ft 6 inchs
BF:
Progress:

I can personally say that I have PCOS, And I will proudly admit that although I have been off the diet. in the past I was on Adkins. And I lost th desired weight. More than that the symptoms vritually dissappeared. To be specific even the insulin and the testosterone in my system went back to normal ranges. So I will say that low carbing is the best thing to happen to PCOS. It is hard but completely worth it. Even my doctor was impressed.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-17-05, 14:33

Plan: PSMF, cycling diet
Stats: 198/198/159 Female 5ft6
BF:43/
Progress: 0%

http://wwww.Soulcysters.com mentioned in the post is a great website - I'm a mod over there on the diet and exercise forum and the board itself is full of information on herbs/alternative remedies/diabetes/hair/depression etc. etc. forums!

There is also another site that although not directly set up to help manage PCOS most of it's members are PCOSers - it's a fairly new site so small and very friendly and aimed mostly at fitness
http://www.fitatanysize.com
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-13-05, 22:39

Plan: cut out carbs
Stats: 299.2/205.5/168 Female 173cm
BF:41%
Progress: 71%

im new to pcos and docs arent very helpful at telin me the things i need to no, im 20 and im very lost with all this new eatin regime and exercise stuf, where can i find the info i need about all this a metformin etc to reassure me and wat i have to do (
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-06-05, 11:38

Nicola if you try the Soulcysters site mentioned above you will find tons of info !
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-06-05, 20:18

iv had a look now thanks for pointin it out
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-05, 22:53

Plan: atkins hybrid
Stats: 210/179/150 Female 65 inches
BF:that's the point.

for more technical/medical insights, you may want to find Dr. Charles Glueck on-line. I can't remember what hospital specifically he is resident at, but I seem to remember it being in Ohio. Word to the wise, though. Unless you are comfortably conversant in Endocrinology, some of this may be over the head. It is one place to gain material to take to one's own doc.

Kuukuu
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Apr-23-05, 04:29

but im in england?
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Apr-23-05, 23:58

Plan: atkins hybrid
Stats: 210/179/150 Female 65 inches
BF:that's the point.

And seeking information...which is on-line at this site.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Apr-24-05, 05:10

Here's a new messageboard dedicted to weight loss for PCOS http://www.1-2-free-forums.com/mf/fatlossfriends.html
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Oct-06-05, 22:25

Plan: I follow a dibetic diet
Stats: 240/215/150 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress:

Nicola, I too was diagnosed with PCOS last year and was prescribed metformin. I was told by my doctor that metformin is suppose to balance out my insilin. I am not sure what your symtoms are. But with myself I have thinning hair on my head and hair growing in places that it shouldn't. She told me that if I take this medication and lose weight that I would be suprised at the results. So far the hair on my head has thickened and the hair on my face has thinned. The only thing I don't like about Metformin is the dry mouth while I am sleeping. I can't seem to drink enough water. Also if you would like I have a couple of websites I have visited during my own research on this drug. They came up when I typed in "metiformin and PCOS" in the search bars. You can find out alot more. I learned they also use this drug for women that are trying to have a child. I hope something I have said helps you.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Oct-08-05, 15:21

atm im tryin to figure out why iv not lost any more weight cause when i was on 1500mg a day i was losin it now on 1700 and not so good results
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Mar-28-06, 13:57
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/155/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress:

PCOS what does that stand for?
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-06, 01:56

polycystic ovary syndrome
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Dec-06-06, 17:02

Plan: needmoreinfo2start
Stats: 133/133/126 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Default Pregnant from taking Metformin?

thanks for that info...any clue whether Metformin is helping anyone get pregnant or increaese normal cycles?

I see alot of interest in posts for weight loss or diabetes...but I am a rare case (you wouldnt believe how rare!) and you will all HATE ME but to be truthful that is the only symptom I dont have - only everything else that goes w. PCOS.

thanks in advance for ANY info