Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 11:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/245/180 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default PCOS, hair growth, and Atkins

On the main Atkins board, someone asked if anyone has seen a change in hair growth, as in, has less grown.

I have PCOS, and along with it, I started growing hair where I really do not want it: Tummy, chest, chin.

I have read that once you start to get the PCOS reversed, the hair growth will stop.

My doctor said that losing much of my excess weight will help make the PCOS symptoms better. I hope this means the hair growth as well.

Does anyone have any info on this?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 13:45

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 201/186/135
BF:
Progress: 23%

I have heard the same info and in the Schwarzbein Principle, it is briefly mentioned as something the doctor experienced with her Stein-Leventhal syndrome ( PCOS basically) and that it went away with her new life style. I can only hope!!!!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 14:31
Registered Member

Stats: 265/245/180 Female 69
BF:

DramaDame, I too hope that the new lifestyle makes the hair go away! Waxing is getting expensive...not to mention painful!!!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 20:18

Stats: 273/238/154
BF:oh-my-god!/37%/24%
Progress: 29%

Yes, I believe it does happen.

I've noticed that the unwanted furry places that I have are thinner, lighter, and don't regrow as quickly after removal. And it's a very welcome change.

I do hope they vanish entirely soon.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 10:19

Stats: 192/180/150
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default I'm with ya

Hey...

I don't have any answers for you, but I will let you know you're not alone. It's so embarrassing when my boyfriend wants to put his hand on my stomache and my belly button has hair like a man. UGH... I don't want to shave because it'll just get worse so I've been plucking them for about 2 years now. If I had money, I'd get electrolisis.

I hope for both of our sakes that the hair does stop growing... and even that the hair we have will go away. Good Luck!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-03, 15:33
Registered Member

Stats: 225/154/125
BF:
Progress: 71%
Default I hear you all!

I have had pcos since just after my son was born, he is now 11 and no doctors could help me with anything.

The weight gain, the hair growth on the face and stomach and the hair loss on my head. I have noticed since limiting my carbs on the Zone my hair loss is much less. I'm starting Atkins tomorrow and am hoping it will help the hair on my face--as well as to help me lose the last 25-30 pounds that won't seem to budge.

I'll keep checking in here and if I notice anything change in the way of my "beard" I'll let you know.

Good luck and keep me posted as well.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-16-03, 20:43

Plan: Curves low carb/cal plan
Stats: 230/160/155
BF:35%/24.5%/23.5%
Progress: 93%

Hi, I'm new here, & saw your posts. I have PCOS, too, and have been low-carbing since fall of 2001. I have noticed that the hair on my forarms has completely changed from thick and very dark, to thin and now blonde. I believe the low-carb has made the difference. If you are thinning on your head, make sure you are getting LOTS of protein--that should help.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 19:45
Say cheese!

Plan: Carb'n negative + IF
Stats: 123/106/111 Female 163
BF:
Progress: 142%

I was diagnosed PCOS when I was in my early twenties and then undiagnosed by another doctor and told that I was just sensitive to male hormones. Regardless of what the doctors say I have all the typical PCOS symptoms. I've been low carbing for 9 weeks now and have noticed a definite difference in hair growth, especially on my legs. I'm a long term waxer (20 years) and would always have strong dark regrowth about 10 days after a wax. It's now been 4 weeks since my last wax (actually I use one of those little epilating? machines now) and there's hardly any regrowth and what there is is very sparse so far. My acne also cleared up during the first 2 weeks on induction. For me low carbing has been like stumbling across some secret miracle cure for a health problem that has plagued me all my life!

Regards,
Zedgirl
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-25-03, 12:41

Plan: atkins/bernstein
Stats: 105/105/105 Female 63ins
BF:
Progress:

after 20 years of hair growing in the wrong places, i started lc-ing for my diabetes 2 years ago.the hair growth now has all but stopped.the bit i have left is much finer and i don,t have to pluck it as often.i thought i was going to end up as the bearded lady.this was the best side effect of lc-ing that i could imagine
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 09:30

Stats: 230/195/145 Female 5'7
BF:42/38/28
Progress: 41%
Default Excited!

Less hair growth????

No more plucking????

I've been LCing for all of 5 days now and this has got to be the most exciting news yet!!

I'd eat mud if it would take this hair away!!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 11:29

Plan: atkins/bernstein
Stats: 105/105/105 Female 63ins
BF:
Progress:

to t ,hope this gave you some encouragment to stick with low carb.i can now wear lower cut t-shirts without first checking my chest from all angles.it,s wonderful and totally unexpected.i think the hair growth started to decline after about 1 year(that i noticed)but i didn,t quite believe it.now i know it,s all neary gone.i don,t even carry emergency tweezers any more.i only wish dr. a had left me with more boobs but i suppose we can,t have everything..
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 15:21

Stats: 245/234/200
BF:don't care!!

I've been LCing for about 3 months and I've noticed that the facial hair isn't as strong as it was. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the other PCOS symptoms will start to dwindle too.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 17:44

Stats: 230/195/145 Female 5'7
BF:42/38/28
Progress: 41%

Well, I have definitely noticed a decrease in the hair growth on my face.
It is not quite as course either! Yea!

Mostly all my other PCOS symptoms have disappeared except
the absent periods. Crossing my fingers on that one!

I would love to be able to manage my PCOS without any
medications!!

Geez....
I wish I would have started LCing years ago!!!!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 19:04

Plan: adkins
Stats: 211/202/150 Female 64"
BF:
Progress:

Adkins is a great diet for women with pcos. When your insulin levels are low you are much less likely to produce high testosterone levels from your ovaries and as a result less new hair growth. It won't reverse the hair back to normal though.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 05:36

Plan: atkins
Stats: 238/163/140 Female 5ft 6 inches
BF:
Progress:

I am new here, and I can't tell you how much reading other peoples stories is helping me! I have been low carbing for about two years and have lost 70 pounds. I too have noticed a change in hair growth, which has always been bad and depressing! I strongly believe that low carbing helps, as it lowers your weight which helps syptoms and lowers yours insulin resistence which causes problems. Good luck stay with it!