Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-21-15, 11:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 236/217.9/160 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default Blood work results

I have PCOS, and I got some blood work results from my endocrinologist today and I'm not sure if I should be concerned. She did state that my fasting glucose was higher than normal, at 94, but not high enough to be concerned. My c-peptide was at 2.4. She said this level combined with the glucose pointed towards insulin resistance. Also, my liver AST was 39 and ALT was 87. She said this was likely due to a fatty liver, but said I should follow up with my PCP to be checked for hepatitis (Is that for real?). Also, my HDL was 56, LDL 182 and Triglyceride 165. Are these numbers something to be concerned about?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-21-15, 11:19

BF:

Oh! Also she offered to prescribe phentermine as an appetite suppressant. I didn't take her up on it as I felt like I'd be taking a shortcut of some sort and I don't want to do that. I am hungry a lot, but I feel that will tone down once I adjust to the low carb life.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-21-15, 16:28

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

by your profile, were not on a Low Carb diet at the time of these tests, and your tests results look average for a standard American Diet. Both the glucose and c-peptide are within "Normal range" by most lab reference ranges. Over 100 fasting blood glucose is the beginning of "pre-diabetes" so her concerns seem conservative. However the AST and ALT are elevated and you should follow up on those. http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2012/...r-liver-is-fat/
There are many articles about reversing NAFLD with a low carb diet, (quickly too, http://www.drbriffa.com/2011/03/04/...t-of-the-liver/) the low fat diet doesn't help. A friend has NAFLD, I have sent her many LC articles over the years .
The cholesterol numbers you have shared are also not way out of range, but should be better on a low carb diet. According to my doctor (Cholesterol Clarity), the optimal levels would be under 70 for Trigs, over 70 for HDL, or a ratio of 1. Easily doable for you with a low carb diet, and the diet will helpthe PCOS. Consider following the DANDR Induction rules, maybe longer than two weeks, to help reverse the NAFLD.

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Apr-21-15 at 16:33.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-21-15, 20:45

BF:

Thank you so much for all of that information! I was not on a low carb diet at the time. I was watching calories, but was eating carbs galore! I go back for follow up blood work in 3 months. I may hold off on getting the liver checked until after that.