Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Mon, May-07-12, 08:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 275/258/130 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 12%

Wow!!! I feel so encouraged right now. I have every symptom imaginable. The acne is good now, but use to be bad. My ovaries aren't very cystic, but my reproductive endo explained to me that people get confused thinking it's a disease of the ovaries when in fact it's a disease of the endocrine. My endo told me I have Pcos on steroids! I want a sibling for my 3 yr old son. I was told he was a lucky shot. I'm doing this to be healthy for myself and son and if I can't have more kids I'll be ok. I was blessed with one beautiful boy!
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Tue, May-08-12, 12:24

Stats: 320/291/175 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamara84
Wow!!! I feel so encouraged right now. I have every symptom imaginable. The acne is good now, but use to be bad. My ovaries aren't very cystic, but my reproductive endo explained to me that people get confused thinking it's a disease of the ovaries when in fact it's a disease of the endocrine. My endo told me I have Pcos on steroids! I want a sibling for my 3 yr old son. I was told he was a lucky shot. I'm doing this to be healthy for myself and son and if I can't have more kids I'll be ok. I was blessed with one beautiful boy!

I have severe PCOS also Tamara, and my daughter was a VERY unexpected surprise! Imagine the even bigger surprise when my son came along five years later... at age 33. Well past my "prime" and I was certainly not trying.

But I had lost 15 lbs and was on metformin.

It can be done (even by accident), have faith in yourself!
  #48   ^
Old Sat, May-12-12, 14:17

Stats: 223/212.5/150 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 14%

I have a couple questions. I have been dealing with PCOS almost my whole adult life. I wasn't officially diagnosed until I tried to have my son at 28y/o, but given my symptoms my doctor said I had probably had it since I was 16. The hair growth is horrible and makes me feel gross. Has anyone had any success with laser hair removal after weight loss? My other question is about skin tags. I also find them quite gross. Has anyone ever had them removed and what is the process? I need to lose the weight and then take care of all these things. My face used to be so nice and now I am dealing with facial hair, ingrown hair, acne scars. Whatever am I going to do???
  #49   ^
Old Sat, May-12-12, 17:57

Stats: 280/219/145 Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 45%

Like many of us, you may find all of your PCOS related symptoms lessen over time when you are low carbing. It did for me!
  #50   ^
Old Sun, May-13-12, 14:16
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannasmile
I have a couple questions. I have been dealing with PCOS almost my whole adult life. I wasn't officially diagnosed until I tried to have my son at 28y/o, but given my symptoms my doctor said I had probably had it since I was 16. The hair growth is horrible and makes me feel gross. Has anyone had any success with laser hair removal after weight loss? My other question is about skin tags. I also find them quite gross. Has anyone ever had them removed and what is the process? I need to lose the weight and then take care of all these things. My face used to be so nice and now I am dealing with facial hair, ingrown hair, acne scars. Whatever am I going to do???

I've had some laser hair removal and it was successful, though I had to stop after a few treatments due to finances - that was 4 or 5 years ago, and the effects from those few treatments are still evident (a little growback, but still better than it was). I hope to continue when finances improve, but I have the best hair and skin type - very dark thick hair and very pale skin, which looks horrendous but responds best to laser treatment. I found the treatment quite painful, but this was because I have very thick hairs, apparently, and you can use anasthetic gel.

Lee
  #51   ^
Old Fri, Jun-28-13, 16:17

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/182/140 Female 5.4
BF:
Progress:

Groupon is your friend for laser hair treatment.

As for skin tags, I believe they can be removed by advanced electrolysis which is fairly cheap. I had cholesterol deposits under my eyes removed and it only cost me a one off treatment of £160
  #52   ^
Old Fri, Jul-05-13, 21:39
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 229/223.6/120 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 5%

I would love to try that. I have hairy arms and the facial hair is the hardest thing. I bleached mine for a long time until someone made fun of me in highschool then I tried to painfully tweeze all of it and I had a lot I have gone to shaving it off and there is nothing more embarrassing than having someone especially your child notice that you have hair and call it weird and ask if girls are supposed to have that..
  #53   ^
Old Sat, Jul-06-13, 07:51
NEVER GIVING UP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogchic
I would love to try that. I have hairy arms and the facial hair is the hardest thing. I bleached mine for a long time until someone made fun of me in highschool then I tried to painfully tweeze all of it and I had a lot I have gone to shaving it off and there is nothing more embarrassing than having someone especially your child notice that you have hair and call it weird and ask if girls are supposed to have that..

Yep, been there, it's horrendous. I use shaving and foundation on my face until I can afford more laser treatment. Metformin and LC improves things, but it'll never make it go away.
  #54   ^
Old Sat, Jul-06-13, 08:59
Registered Member

Stats: 229/223.6/120 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 5%

I read about spearmint tea have any of you tried that for facial hair??
  #55   ^
Old Sat, Jul-06-13, 10:01
NEVER GIVING UP!

Quote:

No, but I can't see it having any effect. The only supplement that had any effect for me (and it was small) was d-chiro-inositol, but it is pretty expensive.
  #56   ^
Old Sat, Jul-27-13, 20:47

Stats: 234/229/160 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default Spearmint tea

Quote:

It does seem to slow growth and also fewer hairs, as well as less coarse, on face at least. Have read good things about it and drink a cup everyday. It was hard to find a store that carries it, and closest one to me is 45 min away. It works well enough that I put it on a priority to make sure to buy some when in that town. Give it a chance, like two boxes to see results.