Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-19-06, 07:18

Plan: LC
Stats: 200/000/000 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default ...again....about Metformin......

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-19-06, 13:47
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. B with PP supplements
Stats: 275/260/180 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

I wish that I could take Metformin. I've tried. About 8 times now. I've taken the ER type and the regular, started with extremely small doses, taken supplements with it that were supposed to help. Nothing worked. I get severe abdominal cramping and other unpleasant side effects.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-19-06, 15:36

Plan: LC
Stats: 200/000/000 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 100%

PFeud........Sorry about that....
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-07-06, 00:26
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

Extended-Release Metformin Tablets (Fortamet) Linked to Risk for Lactic Acidosis
on Tuesday, June 06 ~ 11:04:55 CDT

The FDA approved safety labeling revisions for metformin HCl extended-release tablets (Fortamet, made by Andrx Labs, LLC) to warn of the risk for lactic acidosis associated with metformin accumulation during treatment.

The condition is fatal in approximately 50% of cases and may also occur in association with a number of pathophysiologic conditions (including diabetes) or whenever there is significant tissue hypoperfusion and hypoxemia. If metformin is implicated, plasma levels of the drug will generally exceed 5 µg/mL.

According to the FDA, the reported incidence of lactic acidosis in patients receiving metformin is low (approximately 0.03 cases and 0.015 fatal cases/1000 patient-years). No cases of lactic acidosis were reported in more than 20,000 patient-years of clinical trials.

Metformin extended-release tablets are indicated for once-daily use alone or in combination with a sulfonylurea or insulin as an adjunct to diet and exercise in improving glycemic control in patients with diabetes aged 17 years and older.
FDA.

http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/mo...rticle&sid=3792