Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-09, 09:49

Plan: paleo
Stats: 134/143/154 Male 183cm
BF:
Progress:

Ron I'm a dude!

Yes I saw the video, very touching, the people involved were very thankful and I'm glad they succeeded to some degree in having better lives.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-09, 20:12

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgimA
Ron I'm a dude!

Ooops!

Only a Dude would make that mistake, right?

Last edited by Cajunboy47 : Mon, Feb-23-09 at 07:10.
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-09, 06:06

Plan: Dr. Bernstein (modified )
Stats: 298/205/199 Male 5 foot 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunboy47
Ralph,

Well said..........

Good luck on the lap-band!

Another thought about it, once the weight is off and if you get to where you feel you're able to "control your mouth" (as my wife tells me), the lap band, from what I understand is a reversible procedure...........

Just remember; as you said, the lap band is a tool, your learning to control is making use of another tool we all have that lies between our ears.... That tool is sometimes difficult to use properly and truthfully, sometimes, I forget it is there...

Hello Ron,

The new lap bands, one that I am considering, are adjustable. You don't even have to take them out. You can open or shut them.

Ralph
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-09, 08:01

Quote:
Ron, just a question, what happened to your skin?
Were the photos photoshopped? Did you wear some kind of mascara? Or is it only the diet? I know, the questions are somehow personal, but really everyone was impressed.

Camera tricks...

Professional photos taken in China in a studio. No mascara, but some powder was slapped on me to block the glare of the lights, mostly on my bald head.

The youthful appearance has nothing to do with diet, but the weight at which I appear is real and the result of my Chinese diet....
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-09, 15:42

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunboy47
Camera tricks...

Professional photos taken in China in a studio. No mascara, but some powder was slapped on me to block the glare of the lights, mostly on my bald head.

The youthful appearance has nothing to do with diet, but the weight at which I appear is real and the result of my Chinese diet....

The most curious one was "he looks like a 30 year old after chemotherapy".

What chinese diet? Spicy and almost raw veggies?
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-09, 20:17

Quote:
What chinese diet? Spicy and almost raw veggies?

I lived in China for a while and ate a typical Chinese diet, prepared by my now Chinese wife who's an Herbal Doctor who happened to specialize in nutrition.

Spicy, oh yeah! I'm Cajun and thought we ate spicy here in south Louisiana, but their idea of spicy makes Cajun food very mild by comparison...

I went from eating less than 10% carbs to about 35% carbs, but 80% of my carbs are usually green vegetables (onions & garlic included as greens), while 50% of my vegetables are usually raw. I also eat raw fruits and nuts daily!

I don't look 30 in real life, although I feel like I'm 30 and I certainly don't feel like someone just out of chemo treatments...
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-09, 14:24

BF:
Progress:

Chinese friends told me that the things you get served in chinese restaurants have almost nothing to do with what they eat in China. Spicy as hell!!

Do you speak the funny french the cajuns have? I've heard there are cajuns that can't speak english in Louisiana.
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-09, 18:49

Quote:
Chinese friends told me that the things you get served in chinese restaurants have almost nothing to do with what they eat in China. Spicy as hell!!

Do you speak the funny french the cajuns have? I've heard there are cajuns that can't speak english in Louisiana.

I have never seen food in any Chinese restaurant in the USA that compares to any restaurant in China at which I've eaten. I've only eaten at about 50-75 Chinese restaurants in China and just in the city I was living in, there were about 50,000 restaurants. I cannot really say from my viewpoint, but my wife says American Chinese restaurants have catered to American tastes and have foregone traditional Chinese cuisuine.... There are 52 ethnic groups in China and each have their own brand of cooking, but where I was in central China, Hot & Spicy was difficult to miss......

I speak Cajun French fluently. There are still many Cajuns whom you'd have tremendous difficulty understanding when they are attempting to speak English, but pretty much most of the french only people have died off. In my family, my grandmother on my mom's side was the last french only speaking person and she passed away in 1986....
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-09, 04:49

BF:
Progress:

So you sound like a quebequois? I have a hard time understanding those, they sound like an native english-speaker that has potatos in his mouth and is trying to speak french...

I'm not a native speaker, but when I go to France they always think that I'm from Belgium, because I say "huitante" instead the "quattre-vingt".
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-09, 06:44

Quote:
So you sound like a quebequois? I have a hard time understanding those, they sound like an native english-speaker that has potatos in his mouth and is trying to speak french...

I'm not a native speaker, but when I go to France they always think that I'm from Belgium, because I say "huitante" instead the "quattre-vingt".

I don't have a Cajun accent at all actually, and neither do most folks around here.... In cajun french, when we say 80, we say; "quatre-vingts", but then most older cajuns can't count that high...

Half of my ancestry are from Belgium..........

Check out my latest medical stats in my journal.
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-09, 08:15

BF:
Progress:

Wow, great, perhaps we can do it into the -3% club

Do you measure your hemoglobin count as well?
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-09, 16:57

Quote:
Wow, great, perhaps we can do it into the -3% club

Do you measure your hemoglobin count as well?

My complete blood work lab report is 3, sometimes 4 pages long. They draw 7 viles of blood, it's complete.... All my stats are in normal ranges, except for my weight gain, which, I can attribute to my nagging bad habit of seeing what I can get away with without losing my diabetic control... My bad!

I would like to accomplish two things with my blood sugar, if I can stay focused to do it......

1. achieve a 4.8 A1C with herbal medicine and keeping a moderate low-carb diet.
2. achieve a 5.0-5.9 A1C without herbal medicine and keeping a moderate low-carb diet.