Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-21, 13:21

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Good to know! I've been a member for several years now. Always good info there.
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-21, 04:32

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Tweet of the day:
Quote:
Just so we're clear: everybody is on the P:E diet. Some people are just on it badly
  #123   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-21, 06:32

BF:

Oh, now that is FUNNY!!!!!
  #124   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-21, 08:49

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
And...now that Andreas figured that out...

Dr. Ted Naiman to help hone higher protein options for better weight loss

https://www.dietdoctor.com/dr-ted-n...ter-weight-loss

Very smart of Andreas to add Naiman. Changes like this continue to keep DD relevant and in touch with the most current approaches to healthy eating.
  #125   ^
Old Sat, Apr-10-21, 12:47

Plan: Very low carb
Stats: 218/205.4/158 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 21%
Lightbulb

Shouting out a thank you to all who have posted in this thread. I believe I , might be having a lightbulb moment as we speak!!!

Last fall I made a return to low carb via carnivore + IF. (start weight was 217) Once I dropped about 15 - 20 pounds (would have to look back at my journal which I don't have with me right now) I just couldn't stand it any more. Meat only caused me some digestive issues that just were not resolving. I reverted back to one of the WW plans, and my way of doing that was quite successful for several months. I continued to lose weight and felt a lot better. I realize now after reading this thread and the links, that my way of doing WW for that time period was a lot like Ted recommends on P:E for weight loss. Lots of lean protein, moderate carbs coming primarily from non-starchy veg and some fruit. Rinse and repeat.

It worked until I found myself unable to continue working it. I think what happened is I started to allow my protein levels to drop, and that was replaced by some carbage that kicked my cravings back into high gear. So my weight had dropped to 172, but now I have slowly regained back to 185. I have been banging my head against the wall for several weeks now - promising myself every day that I will stick to my plan, and then unable to follow through due to cravings.

I have also tried LCHF variations along the way. If my fat is high, even with low carb, I either gain or don't lose. (I do realize that this is not true for everyone)

So...I started my day today with a significant protein meal and I'm going to prioritize protein in my efforts to get back in the groove of weight loss.

I appreciate reading about everyone's experiences and also all the shared video and other links!!! I will post back and let you know how it's working.
  #126   ^
Old Sun, Apr-11-21, 02:28

Happy we could help. The foods I allowed back into my long time very low carb diet, were simply more vegetables including "small tubers" (no one got fat eating carrots) and yogurt. These are on Phase 2 of Dr Westman's/New Atkins plan, but I feel healthier and supposedly have metabolic flexibility again. To the basicLC diet, Dr Naiman suggests yogurt be low fat, some egg whites as needed to add to whole eggs, and protein powder. The extra protein and micronutrients are making a difference for me, nails stronger, while losing weight without hunger.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Apr-11-21 at 04:16.
  #127   ^
Old Sun, Apr-11-21, 06:42

BF:

If I've learned anything in the 25+ years living the low-carb lifestyle, it's that it's a journey and that journey is different for each of us. But, I'm starting to see a lot of similarities, too. Since my first foray into LC was in the mid- to late-1990s with Protein Power, I've always felt that protein is key. I loved the fact that I could calculate exactly how much protein I should have. They also stressed that as we age, women especially need to increase their protein even higher than men because older women don't metabolize protein as well as men as they age.

What goes around comes around. Don't you just love those lightbulb moments?
  #128   ^
Old Sun, Apr-11-21, 08:35

BF:

Bawdywench, I do indeed love the lightbulb moments!!! I too remember the Protein Power books. I still get Dr. Eades e-newsletter.

Janet - thanks for your summary of key differences since you have shifted to the P:E model. Interesting that your list really mirrors some of my own mainstay list when I was comfortably losing weight (with little to no hunger, and no cRaZy cravings) over that several month period.

When I drifted off course and the cRaZy cravings kicked back into high gear, I feel like I went into panic mode and just started fighting with my brain and body. I already feel calmer in my approach after just one day of simply upping my lean protein. I think after a few days of strong protein, I will be able to make the other adjustments necessary to get back on track. At least that is my hope!!

I take a ton of inspiration from you ladies!
  #129   ^
Old Sun, Apr-11-21, 10:57

Plan: LC
Stats: 170/129.8/125 Female 5'1.5
BF:
Progress: 89%

Anyone have a recipe for a protein shake using isopure whey lc protein powder? I can make fatter shakes easily but not sure how to make them low fat and high protein.
  #130   ^
Old Sun, Apr-11-21, 11:16

BF:

I usually add 0% Greek yogurt (plain) and collagen peptides for a boost of protein. The Greek yogurt I get has 11 grams of protein for a half-cup serving, and the collagen adds 10 grams of protein. Easy way to add 21 grams of protein.
  #131   ^
Old Sun, Apr-11-21, 12:47
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I usually make them with whatever I have handy - frozen berries, cocoa powder (helps thicken it), yogurt, and maybe something like unsweetened almond milk. Water works just fine. You can throw some ice in it if you have a good blender. Dr Ted likes the Fairlife milk, which is lower in carbs and higher in protein, though I'm not a milk drinker myself. Here in Canada, we have that brand as well as one called Joyya.

I don't usually care for drinking protein shakes; I prefer "protein mush." Just yogurt + the powder + berries or something, just stirred in a bowl. I also use my whey protein powder for chaffles and other bread-like things. Besides the protein boost, it gives them a lighter, fluffier texture.

Last edited by Kristine : Sun, Apr-11-21 at 12:52.
  #132   ^
Old Sun, Apr-11-21, 13:50

BF:

Thank you both for the suggestions.
  #133   ^
Old Sun, Apr-11-21, 18:57

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
I usually make them with whatever I have handy - frozen berries, cocoa powder (helps thicken it), yogurt, and maybe something like unsweetened almond milk. Water works just fine. You can throw some ice in it if you have a good blender. Dr Ted likes the Fairlife milk, which is lower in carbs and higher in protein, though I'm not a milk drinker myself. Here in Canada, we have that brand as well as one called Joyya.

I don't usually care for drinking protein shakes; I prefer "protein mush." Just yogurt + the powder + berries or something, just stirred in a bowl. I also use my whey protein powder for chaffles and other bread-like things. Besides the protein boost, it gives them a lighter, fluffier texture.

I would be interested in recipes for your protein powder chaffles (I am a chaffle virgin right now!) and "other bread like things." I'm interested in how to use protein powder to amp up the protein in stuff.

Thanks for whatever recipes you or anyone else on this thread would care to share!

I can vouch for the deliciousness of mixing protein powder in FF yogurt with berries. That is a staple for me!

I also recentely discovered Protein Fluff. There are many iterations of this out there in internet land. Lots of variation in calorie counts depending on ingredients. The version I like is high protein low calorie. I think results might vary based on what type of protein powder is used, since the only ingredients in this version are protein powder, ice and water. I have had great results with Devotion Nutrition protein powder.

1 scoop protein powder - 20g protein (D.N. makes Brownie Batter and Angel Food Cake flavors, and they also make lots of different flavor only packets which can be added to create a lot of different flavor combinations)

2 cups ice cubes

1 cup water

Put this into a food processor and process for about 4 - 5 minutes. You can see it expanding as it blends. Once the ice is all gone and it's at maximum fluffiness, enjoy. It is a bit like the consistency of cool whip. And the volume is MASSIVE. And way healthier than an ice cream binge - regular or keto.

Side note: I have also tried this in my Vitamix. That blender is too high powered and it lost the "fluff" aspect and turned out as a smoothie. That's not a bad thing, but it wasn't the "fluff" I get from the food processor.

If anyone else is making a Protein Fluff that they like, I would love to know your recipe!
  #134   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-21, 04:45

That Fluff seems like Magic! Never heard of it...will try with my Ninja blender.

If you can find a chayote, many people like this KetoGains protein pudding recipe from Luis. https://optimisingnutrition.com/ket...ing/#more-14190 There are other Protein recipes on Marty's blog from Ketogains...pre-workout coffee, gelatin dessert, etc.

You reminded me there is a bag of Isopure unflavored whey in the back of my pantry! Bought it for some bread-like concoction and never touched it again Dr Naiman has a new pancake recipe I could use it in.

"Made some amazing delicious 3 ingredient pancakes this morning that are over 50% protein. 🥞
Will post ingredients but you have to promise to not have a carbophobia freakout? 😁

• 1/2 cup egg whites
• 1 serving vanilla whey powder
• 1 medium banana 🍌
• 1/2 tsp baking powder"

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Apr-12-21 at 04:51.
  #135   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-21, 05:57

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggygirl2
I would be interested in recipes for your protein powder chaffles (I am a chaffle virgin right now!) and "other bread like things." I'm interested in how to use protein powder to amp up the protein in stuff.

Thanks for whatever recipes you or anyone else on this thread would care to share!

I can vouch for the deliciousness of mixing protein powder in FF yogurt with berries. That is a staple for me!

I also recentely discovered Protein Fluff. There are many iterations of this out there in internet land. Lots of variation in calorie counts depending on ingredients. The version I like is high protein low calorie. I think results might vary based on what type of protein powder is used, since the only ingredients in this version are protein powder, ice and water. I have had great results with Devotion Nutrition protein powder.

1 scoop protein powder - 20g protein (D.N. makes Brownie Batter and Angel Food Cake flavors, and they also make lots of different flavor only packets which can be added to create a lot of different flavor combinations)

2 cups ice cubes

1 cup water

Put this into a food processor and process for about 4 - 5 minutes. You can see it expanding as it blends. Once the ice is all gone and it's at maximum fluffiness, enjoy. It is a bit like the consistency of cool whip. And the volume is MASSIVE. And way healthier than an ice cream binge - regular or keto.

Side note: I have also tried this in my Vitamix. That blender is too high powered and it lost the "fluff" aspect and turned out as a smoothie. That's not a bad thing, but it wasn't the "fluff" I get from the food processor.

If anyone else is making a Protein Fluff that they like, I would love to know your recipe!

The fluff sounds really good! Looks like amazon is out of stock.