Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-27-04, 10:48

Plan: Somersize
Stats: 291.5/259/135 Female 66 inches
BF:off the scale
Progress: 21%
Default Impossible Pilates?????

I CAN'T EVEN DO PILATES!!!

OMGsh!!! I just tried to do pilates (for legs and butt) and my arms are too weak to support me!! I am so upset! If I can't do this what can I do! I refuse to lay down and wither away !!!!

This is terrible news to me cause I had lots of hope in it!!!

Jimsbride
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-28-04, 16:36

Plan: Drs Bernskins
Stats: 260/232.4/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:lots
Progress: 28%

Hi jimsbride,

A suggestion from me would be to find a "gentle" yoga class that caters to the disabled/elders and build some strenght and stanima there.

That is were I started and the results have been remarkable! Make sure it is taught by a RYT. Modifications can be found for every pose and don't let anyone try to convince you otherwise!

Svaroopa yoga (the one I practice) is known for it's compassionate outlook on the body and it's limitations. Alot of the positions in the disabled class ate done in a chair but any "gentle" form of Hatha yoga should do.

I started out in the gentle class and now am in the regular class so I have grown stonger.

What form of Pilates are you doing? Someone told me that Winsor pilates does have some modified poses.

All I know is that people of all shapes and sizes can do gentle yoga.
Hope this helps.
Nancy
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-28-04, 17:20

Plan: Fat Flush Plan
Stats: 233/146/150 Female 5ft 8inches
BF:22%
Progress: 105%

When I started Winsor pilates, I was so fat and out of shape, I had to do all the moves in the 'modified for the physically inept' mode. Some moves I couldn't do at all.

Kept at it though. Sometimes just repeating a move I COULD do, over and over.

Next thing I knew, I COULD do the regular moves (mind you, there was a LOT of groaning, moaning and whining going on in the beginning. So much, in fact, that DH once rushed out to 'help' me. LOL).

These days I do the winsor body sculpting workout most mornings and it's given me back flexibility (not only can SEE my toes, but I can touch 'em! ), strength, tone, and kept my skin shrinking along with the rest of me.

DON'T GIVE UP! (I mean, let's face it, the alternative's NOT GOOD) Follow Nancy's advice and try some gentle yoga. Try modifying the pilates moves into something you CAN do.

Practice really DOES make perfect! and skinny. and HOTTTTTTTTT and um...perky. Yah, that's it! practice makes ya PERKY!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-29-04, 07:45

Default Rippled legs and Drooping Boobs!!!

Thank you both for your advice. So, obviously it is not abnormal to find that you can not support yourself. That is good news. And it is great news to knowt that this helps my skin to shrink with my weight loss and PERKINESS !! LOL !!!

I have been noticing sagging on my legs YUCK!!! And drooping on my chest!!! DOUBLE YUCK !!! I am 36 years old, so I guess some of that is normal but this is why I started walking Monday. My legs have to tighten up. I am not going to be nicknamed Ms. Ripples if I can help it. Also, needing to tighten up boobs! They are wanting to relax under armpits LOL!!! NO NOT THIS TIME!!!

Does any of ya's got direction to some targeted excercises for inner thighs and bust???? Had to ask! LOL!

Thanks,
Michelle
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-29-04, 08:41

Plan: Fat Flush Plan
Stats: 233/146/150 Female 5ft 8inches
BF:22%
Progress: 105%

Michelle, you might also want to check out T-Tapp: http://www.t-tapp.com/articles/heal...mag/default.htm as it sorta combines pilates AND yoga and doesn't use weights or machines.

These days, I alternate my workouts between pilates and rebounding (bouncing up and down on a mini-trampoline -who'd a thunk it would be so good for you? Mind you, at my fattest, I had to wear two bras and STILL hold my chest. ). Thing is, rebounding helps your lymphatic system flush out the by-products of fat burning. A GOOD thing.

As to targeted exercise for thighs, the pilates leg lift thing (laying on your side and propping your head on your hand or laying your head on pillow). large circles, small circles...hoooboy! My thigh muscles were ...um...singing ( ) I tell you!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-29-04, 08:48

You are so funny!!! And by your stats you are definately accomplishing alot. I am so happy for you!

I did that pilates excercise with the small circles and large ones. You are right about the moans and groans! Thought my leg was falling off! I guess that means it was definately targeting area!

I have dvd that a friend gave me that is yoga and pliates mixed. Not sure what the difference is but all is well accept the arm support thingys. But I decided to do what you said about modifiying it and I am using 3 pound weight repititions to help increase strength.

I collapsed in 2000 from Adrenal Exhaustion and FMS and layed in bed for most of the time for years. My mucsles turned to mush and I could barely walk, talk, or breath strong. I have come along way since then and am going to overcome this no matter what it cost. I just want to do what is going to work becuase my energy is precious and I don't have much of it.

Thank you for all of your advice. Seeing your stats and hearing of you perkiness is very hopeful!!!!

lol
Jimsbride