Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sat, Feb-27-16, 08:10

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Hey, BawdyWench! Welcome back to your workouts! I'm happy to support you in that. I don't keep a workout log on this site, but I have little notebooks going back years and years. Even though I've had a few lapses, for the most part I've been more faithful to working out than to diet, and I credit keeping fit with staving off "old age" pretty well so far. (Turning 70 this year.)

What's your plan?
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sat, Feb-27-16, 14:24

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I'll say you're staving off "old age" pretty well. You look AMAZING!!!

I have to be careful of my knees, so I'm starting off slow, in a Body for Life kind of workout. Here's the plan:

Day 1: upper body
Day 2: HIIT
Day 3: lower body
Day 4: HITT
Day 5: upper body
Day 6: HIIT
Day 7: rest

The next week you start out with lower body, so you're only working upper or lower body twice in a week.

It's pyramid approach. You do 12 reps, then 10 reps, then 8 reps, then 6 reps, and back to 12. You start with light weights and progress with each set. Today I worked the upper body with free weights at 3 lbs, 5, 8, and 10.

Chest press
Tricep dips (lying on bench)
Flyes
Pullovers (2 dumbbells in one hand, lower over head behind you; you're lying down)
Bicep curls
Arnolds
Standing rows
Bent-over rows

Then with the Bowflex I did a couple versions of lat pulldowns.

I don't know the real names for the things I do, but I know they're "real" moves.

Then I did just a half mile on the treadmill, incline of 2, at 2.8 mph ... about 15 minutes. I used to love to walk and walk and walk and walk. Now the medial meniscus on both knees really hurts when I do. I don't even know if I still have a medial meniscus on my replaced knee. I shredded it on my left knee, so it's no wonder it hurts. I'm going to have to take the HIIT/cardio very slowly.

My plan is to do either HIIT or, if that's too hard on my knees, just steady-state cardio and alternate it from the recumbent bike, the treadmill, and the elliptical.

I'm very lucky in that I all have this equipment (and more) in our basement. I also have a ballet barre, a Total Gym, and some gimmicky other things. Plus floor mats, yoga equipment (blocks and straps), a large ball, etc.

If only I'd use it ...

Well, I'm starting to now!
  #48   ^
Old Sat, Feb-27-16, 16:25

BF:

Well, thanks--but keep in mind that my avatar is an old picture! My gallery has some newer ones, with the facial wrinkles in fuzzy focus. Wish I could get guns like that again, but surface chubbiness is hard to fight at this age.

Your workout program sounds entirely too ambitious! Don't burn out. I have never liked HIIT, and think it's way too hard on knees, heart, and other good but older body parts. Walking, a little light aerobics/step, or some movement incorporated into light weight workout is plenty for me. I had the Body for Life book once upon a time, but...too strenuous for me even ten years ago.

I love my little workout space in the basement. I put down a couple of gym-style rubber mats that I bought online. I've got hand weights 3,5,8,10, and my favorite thing: a padded 15lb. bar. Used to use it for Body Pump. It's nice for warm-ups and lighter days. I also have a barbell I can load to a lot more than I'll ever lift. I use it for squats on days I'm feeling ambitious. I've got a step, a treadmill DH brought with him, and best of all, a tv and DVD player. I've got a whole shelf of great video workouts to suit the mood or the time frame.

I used to do a lot of Cathe Freidrich--pretty heavy. That's where I got those biceps in the picture. I weighed about 135 at the time. Still, I'm pleased that I do not have batwings to this day, and I work those triceps hard whether I feel like it or not.

Nice to have a Bowflex! I picked up a mini-tramp at a garage sale, but I don't use it much. Considered getting a ball, but decided it isn't worth the space. For years, I sat on a ball at my desk at work. Naturally people thought I was eccentric, and that was part of the appeal.

Best wishes with your workout plans!
  #49   ^
Old Sun, Feb-28-16, 06:14

BF:

You're right. The HIIT is a bit strenuous for me at this point, at least on the treadmill. I might be able to do it on the bike and elliptical, though. I'm very careful not to overdo it with my knees.

Back in the 90s, I used to love Charlene Prickett. I was heavy into step aerobics at the time. She had a good weight training workout video, too. My VHS player isn't working so well these days, or maybe it's the tapes themselves that have deteriorated over time. I, too, have a bunch of tapes (remember Callentics?) and DVDs, but don't really like them.

I like the structure of the BFL weight training. I've tried slow burn, but didn't like it. Without a spotter, I'm really hesitant to work a muscle to failure. I also think it's hard to stay in proper form when lifting too heavy a weight.

We LOVE our Bowflex. I got it off eBay for about $900 maybe 10 years ago. Trouble is, hubby likes to keep the bendy bars engaged and then leave for a week. If I'm not working out and don't see it, the bars conform to that shape and then offer no resistance until they get to that point. Make sense? We're to the point where we really have to replace them. So hard to remove, though. They bars slip down into holes, and then there's a huge screw holding each in place. Almost impossible to unscrew them. Hubby said he'd have to move it out from the wall, get on his back, and then see what he could do. Maybe today I'll price the bars to see how much it would be to replace them.
  #50   ^
Old Sun, Feb-28-16, 08:15

BF:

Quote:
Without a spotter, I'm really hesitant to work a muscle to failure. I also think it's hard to stay in proper form when lifting too heavy a weight.
Exactly.

I got started on "body pump" type workouts with a great video--but it was VHS, and I've never been able to find a DVD version. For two or three years, I did a body pump type workout at the Y. Loved the instructor. But as in many gyms, the turnover in both attendance and leadership is lightning fast. She left. I left.

For a year or so, I did spinning at the Y at 5 am. Who was that person??? But I sure was fit--and relatively skinny. Although I don't subscribe to the CICO theory in general, I find that when I'm really putting in the time with running, spinning, stepping, or whatever higher-intensity cardio it is, I'm skinnier. I just don't want to anymore.

Have a happy, healthy day.
  #51   ^
Old Sun, Feb-28-16, 08:22

BF:

There's a guy at work who was at one time an accredited personal trainer. He let his certification lapse, though, but is working to be accredited again, at a higher level or something. He's young, probably early 20s, and says he's been lifting for half his life. He's definitely got a bodybuilder physique.

Anyway, his dream is to help train average people. He says he has no interest in training athletes or bodybuilders, just the average person who wants to get into better shape. Not only that, he says he'll come to my house to train me! I live about an hour away from him, so that's huge. It would be in the privacy of my own home, since I have all the equipment he would need. He should be accredited by around June. Even if he could come just once a week, he could keep me motivated and working out in the proper form. So hard to look at a book or video and try to figure out if you're doing it right.
  #52   ^
Old Sun, Feb-28-16, 13:42

BF:

I just got back from a half-mile walk in the back. It's about a quarter mile around the perimeter of our back yard, and I did 5 times around, but I walked a bit in from the perimeter to avoid the ice. My knees are a bit tender right now. Not sure I should do a lower-body workout today. The yard is all bumpy and slippery, and you really have to watch where you step. That means all the little muscles that keep you balanced and upright are working overtime. I could really feel the meniscus on each knee start to hurt.

Haven't decided for sure whether I'll skip the lower-body workout today and do it tomorrow instead, just maybe. We'll see how the day progresses and how I feel.

Hey, I'm only a couple posts away from a second eagle!
  #53   ^
Old Sun, Feb-28-16, 16:16

BF:

Nope, my body is getting more sore by the hour, and my knees and legs especially. I'll hold off and do the lower-body workout tomorrow. The walk yesterday and today might have been too much.
  #54   ^
Old Sun, Feb-28-16, 16:54

BF:

I think a cute young bodybuilder coming to my house once a week would be very motivating. Be sure to keep your mind on the workout.

With two journals here, you should be Double Eagle in no time!
  #55   ^
Old Sun, Feb-28-16, 20:06

BF:

That's what I'm thinking! About the Double Eagle, not the personal trainer. He's a bit ... odd?
  #56   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-16, 12:19

BF:

OK, so I haven't been following my set routine, but I haven't been sitting on my butt (all the time), either. Last week I did my 2 nights of yoga, plus lots of walks with the dog over rough terrain, about a mile each time. The day after these walks, my "good" knee gives me a lot of pain, so it's usually a couple days between the walks.