Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 07:42
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00
BF:none
Progress: 11%
Default Quit drinking ~ doing everything by the book ~ loss agonizingly slow! Can you help??

Is there anyone out there who might know why this is the way it is?

I quit drinking about 3 weeks ago... started Atkins full program (Again but this time no evening wine)

I started at 206 lbs. and have lost only 3 1/2 pounds in the last 15 days... I am getting ready to crack, and do Weight Watchers or something else!

I would think by eliminating the evening (2 to 3 glasses) of wine every night that would have a pretty good impact on my Atkins program...or any program for that matter.

I am hoping that perhaps there is someone else out there that may have gone through this problem, and can have some solutions for me.

I take a water pill every day for borderline Blood Pressure... so I know it's not water weight!

I have restarted my journal and have been keeping trac of everything I am doing (I think)...

If anyone has advice I would surely appreciate it.

I have been doing low carb for quite awhile...off and on...but never this long without drinking wine... That is no longer a problem... I'm over it. I only drank at night to help get to sleep. But I have spent the last month working on that problem and am happy to say ..I'm doing great in that department!

But NOT in the weight loss arena

Last edited by osuzana : Tue, Mar-16-04 at 08:20.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 09:37
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Some people just do lose slowly. I know I do. But what I console myself with is that I'm not dieting, I'm following a new way of eating which I will follow for life (with small modifications when I reach my goal).

If you're just doing low carb to lose weight, when you hit goal you'll probably gain it all back anyway. You can use any diet that way, unless you somehow permanently modify your eating it'll all be for nothing.

Even if you find you have to count calories on Atkins, I do, you'll find it has some advantages over WW or other high carb diets in that you won't have the hunger and cravings.

If I stop counting calories and really pig out on Atkins, the weight loss stops. So I know at least it'll be a reasonable way to maintain my loss without gaining.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 11:00

Plan: ckd/Atkins
Stats: 250/245/185 Male 6' 1
BF:
Progress:

Yes cutting carbs and the drinking is the deal. We have had the same issue over here. The wife has gone through hell on this, finally she went and saw the man himself and has been under Atkins and now his succussor's treatment since. Your low blood pressure meds could be a problem. Atkins talks about this issue. My doctor offered them to me ( I was boarderline high bp) I said no. Also what are your body temps am, noon, bedtime? Low temps could indicate low thyroid, much overlooked by doctors. Your dieting is not always the issue. Stick with it......
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 11:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/153/135 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 82%

Hi Osuzana,

I had a peek at your journal and I'm not sure if you're eating enough! Have you done a carb count on your menus? Or gone to fitday.com to check the protein/fat/carb ratio? If you're only having meat in one meal, you're missing fats and carbs. Having enough fat is very important in this WOL. DANDR says it's better to spread the carbs/protiens throughout the day.

Also you mention that you are drinking Seltzer water? Is that regular water? It's not like a club soda or something, is it?

If you have the book, review what the Induction Phase is all about!

Good Luck!!

Rocky
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 15:31
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00
BF:none
Progress: 11%

Yes I have the DANDR book and believe it or not...I have the old book too. I have always eaten sort of low carb... since I found out when I was pregnant( over 20 years ago) that I was a Gestational Diabetic... My Doc. put me on a high protein diet.

I have always been an advocate of Dr. Atkins... I have done his plan for years, but there was always so much bad press on it, I would go on and off it.

Now within the last few years I realized it was the only one that ever made me feel better and lose weight.

But now that I am in my 50's things have changed...It seems impossible to get those pounds moving like they should! Even since I quit drinking the wine at night.

I plan to drop the water pill as soon as I lose some weight, I know the weight is what is causing the rise...all my other blood work is good. I used to be one of those so low blood pressure people...that they had to double check it to see if I was really alive.Hehehe

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it! ~ Susan
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 16:35
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 270/215/150 Female 5'4
BF:not sure
Progress: 46%

I think what would work is totally giving up the alcohol, AND incorporating the full induction plan - including 3 full meals of meat, veggies, fat etc...if you have been drinking regularily, your body is probably trying to compensate by holding on to everything in it - do you drink a lot of plain water? Maybe try drinking a lot more, and not the selzer...