Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 05:56

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/161.2/146 Female 5ft 6in
BF:yep, sure have !!
Progress: 82%
Default In FLight Meals.....

Im off on holiday in three weeks and determined to keep up the good work whilst im away ( lost 10 pounds in my first week!)

Ive just had some details through for my booking and apparently I have a choice of inflight meal ( we are flying for 5 hrs so im gonna have to eat something)

Any way I have got a choice of one of the following : - Normal adult meal, healthy eating meal, gluten free meal or a diabetic meal.

Anyone have any ideas which one would be the best to go for. I know its not really a big deal, but I just know what I am like, doesnt take much for my mind to talk me into having 'just one treat' and before I know it I will be off the plan and back to square one.

Thanks for your help

Lisa
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 06:08
Ex-Patriot

Plan: CAD-ish
Stats: 232.5/199/168 Female 5'2"
BF:no/earthly/clue
Progress: 52%

I would take the normal adult meal if I thought I could be disciplined, or I would take no meal at all and bring some meat and cheese roll-ups from home. (I have done this on flights going back and forth between the UK and US and have never had a problem with customs--I bring just enough to eat on the plane and I either finish it or I leave the leftovers onboard when I get off. You must NEVER EVER take meat through customs, it is a major offense esp. going into the US.)

The healthy eating meal is going to be low fat, which means it will be full of starch and sugar. The diabetic meal is also going to be high carb and low fat because that's still the official dogma for diabetics, esp. in the UK. I don't know about gluten free diets but I would think you'll run into some sugar there also.

hth

Emily

Last edited by tholian8 : Fri, Aug-01-03 at 06:10.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 13:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 287/284/154 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 2%

I would have thought it best to go for the gluten free meal - you are most likely not going to get pasta, cake or sauce with flour in it. You might be given potatoes, can you resist those? You should definately take something with you, nuts, cheese or low carb snack just in case it is unsuitable. I suppose we should tell the airline people we require low carb, if we don't ask we won't get!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 09:18

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

Hi Lisa

Congratulations on those 10 pounds lost in week one.

I hope that you have a great holiday. Where are you off to? 5 hours sounds like Turkey? If so that is a great place to low carb. I lost 4 pounds when I went there almost 2 years ago. Never lost weight on holiday before.

What to eat on the plane. Well you might want to plump for the gluten free meal as you would not get any bread or pasta. However, I would take my own food too. The last two trips I've been on you either did not have a meal, Easyjet, or payed extra for it, Portland. So I decided it was in my best interest just to take my own. Took sausages and cooked chicken mainly so I would not need eating implements. Remember to take your bottle of water onto the plane.