Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-11-12, 12:53

Plan: Evolving and learning
Stats: 226/144/130 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%
Thumbs down Let me buy your bikini!

I am not thin. Obviously. I am DONE with trying on 50+ suits that I find matronly on me. This year I want a 2 piece. We usually swim alone, anyway, in secluded river spots, but even if we didn't... I want a 2 piece.

This seems counter culture. Trying to find a top with underwire was interesting. Not only because the sales women insisted that those don't exist (what a crock; they obviously have never seen Victorias Secret -- maybe its still a secret to them!), but because they kept steering me toward tankinis (which look horrible on me), saying things like, "you're sure you want a bikini top?!"

Or, "you're sure you're a size ___?"

YES. I am SURE.

I am equally "sure" I will never be rid of my stretch marks and scars from having a baby and having fun (sport/paintball). I am "sure" that my saggy breasts, having nursed a child, need underwire, not a flimsy piece of string. I am "sure" that I'm valued, loved, and confident with my body, maybe not wholly, but enough to be in a two piece in front of a person who has seen EVERY piece of me.

Then, they showed me the full piece suits (no underwire anyway).

It made me feel awful! Why is it so hard to believe that someone built like me would want a two piece?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-11-12, 15:29
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

No one looks good in a tankini, not even models in the catalog pictures. Stupidest invention ever. Of course, just one woman's opinion.

You want a bikini, go for it! I'll wear one vicariously through you! lol
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-11-12, 15:56
Real food!

Plan: Lower Carb/IF
Stats: 238/155/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Y'know, 20 years ago, a good friend of mine who was around 50 at the time, had birthed two children and was about 40 pounds overweight, had no problems wearing a bikini out to the very public beach. At the time, I was about 30 years old and a tiny 130 lbs at 5'8", and was afraid to wear one! I was the one in the one-piece while she enjoyed the sun in her bikini. I say, go for it. Sorry you're having such a hard time with the salespeople not getting it.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-11-12, 17:08
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Venus has some very nice bikini tops with underwire and sized cups. Venus and VS is where I get all my bikini tops (Venus has tops that have adjustable shoulder bands which also gives a nice fit)

Good luck!

Lisa

I personally like the "enhancer" cause I'm small on top and the full cut style cause I like my girls covered

http://www.venus.com/swimwear.aspx?...41696&adpos=1t1
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-12-12, 20:51

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

I'm 62 and bought a bikini today! It looks better on me than the frumpy one piece I bought last year. I need support, big time, for the girls so an underwire is essential and a bit of uplift help is a good thing too. The one I bought was from a company called Smartandsexy. Underwire and a substantial halter tie (not flimsy strings). Who cares what the sales people think - there are plenty of supportive, underwire, uplifting bikini tops out there this season. You will find one - buy it and to hell with everyone else!

Last edited by Whofan : Sun, May-13-12 at 08:17.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-13-12, 01:28

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whofan
You will find one - buy it and to hell with everyone else!
My thoughts exactly!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-13-12, 08:53
Every day is day one

BF:

I'm 52 at the end of the week. Pooch, cellulite on my thighs, deflated breasts...

I ordered this bikini yesterday in this plum color after reading this thread. I will be reveling in my jiggly bits and the hell with them (I guess we all know who "them" are )

http://image.venusswimwear.com/is/i...uctPage380x532$
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-13-12, 13:44

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

^^^ I want one of those! That's adorable Lisa!!!!

(I know what I have to do to get one of those.)
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-15-12, 13:01

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

Good for you, Lisa!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-15-12, 19:40
Every day is day one

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsybyrd
^^^ I want one of those! That's adorable Lisa!!!!

(I know what I have to do to get one of those.)

Yeah....just order it!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-12, 16:09

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I bought a bikini the other day, don't play on wearing it for a while, very self concous of others seeing my fat belly. I do plan on wearing it when its just the 2 of us playing in the river or lake. Mine doesn't come with underwire, I'm going to play with it and see if I can put underwire in it. My girls are large, deflated and long, I need all the help I can get.

I also have an issue with BFs father seeing me in a bikini, its to close to underclothes. When we go to the river I wear my 2 pc and a wrap around, I just don't feel confortable with my future father in law seeing me, that much of me. I'm must be part of the family now, he wonders around the house in his boxers all the time. He used to put pants on when I came in BF used to call ahead to tell him I was coming to put his pants on, now no one really gives a darn. Why am I so self concous with BFs father? I'd be that way with most men I think.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-12, 16:19

Plan: <50g a day, gluten-free
Stats: 202.8/180.6/145 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 38%

Go get a bikini! I have one that I ordered from ModCloth (no underwire, but a halter, which I think is equally good at hoisting the girls) and I wore it at 200 lbs. Screw it - it's not like wearing a one-piece was going to fool anyone into believing I was a size 2 anyways.

If you need extra inspiration, just Google 'Fatkini' - it's a bit of a movement right now! And fatkini is not a derogatory term, more a reclaimed feminist one, in case anyone wants to jump on me for using it.

Bonus is, because it's getting close to the end of summer, they're on sale! Just say no to matronly swimwear!
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-12, 17:37

Plan: God's Will Be Done
Stats: 306/189/162 Female 5'7
BF:Morris Chestnut
Progress: 81%

wow! you guys are so brave. i wish i would put a bikini on this 52 year old body. oh goodness, i'm scaring my ownself even thinking about it. oh the horror. i haven't worn a two piece since my mid-20's and i don't think i ever will. just give me a full piece and a sarong and i will be just fine.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-12, 17:00

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 140/124/110 Female 5 foot 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

those saleswomen behaved appallingly! Buy the most fabulous bikini you can and rock it. It's your body, your money. I salute your confidence!! Go for it!
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Aug-12-12, 00:58

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizKitty
No one looks good in a tankini, not even models in the catalog pictures. Stupidest invention ever.

I love my tankini! It's looser than a one piece, flatters my figure really well, like gives be a SHAPE lol I am a big fat ruler. But I do miss the freedom of a belly exposed to the sunshine and air, not all wrapped up in fabric.

Good for you, WhoFan! And Lisa, love that purple suit...

IVannabe, good luck - buy whatever you want - I hope you find a bikini you love!

Last edited by gonwtwindo : Sun, Aug-12-12 at 01:07.