Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-02, 21:25
Registered Member

Plan: not sure
Stats: 230/195/170
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default I tested with Keto Stix im getting DEEP dark purple and i am FULL HYDRATED

I tested with Keto Stix im getting DEEP dark purple and i am FULL HYDRATED

I started getting dark purple ever since i been doing Cardio every morning on an empty stomacH(best fat burner ever)

This boosts up my fat burning all day long, ever since i used to get light pink now im at Dark purple All day , even before any meal
or after meals
i drink like 20 gallons of water daily , im always hydrated so i know im showing huge amounts of ketones and thats GOOD

they say they if the body is produce huge amounts of ketones and not all of them are burned but they are dumped in urine so its as if they were burned!!!!!

So i say THE DARKER THE COLOR(FULLY HYDRATED) THE BETTER AND THE MORE FAT U LOSE.

Fatty acid breakdown create ketones and they circulate in the blood stream waiting to be burned by cells but if a period of time passes without them being needed they are dumped in blood stream, so its as if u burned fat! for free! hah

After 3 days of doing cardio on an empty stomach on this ketogenic diet, my pants size 36 are SLipping badly!they are VERY loose, i cant wear them without a belt. Thats amazing.

Every time i do cardio on empty stomach when my glycogen is empty , my carbs are low 20 grams and my fat is high, my body goes DIRECTLY for the fat stores the minute i put my foot on that treadmill.

right after the 30 min cardio i noticed Huge results !!, fat melt down, i bet im losing like alot
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-02, 23:23
Registered Member

BF:

i also noticed that Atkin diet is not a high protein diet, its a high fat diet.

Fat = Ketogenic with a 10% conversion to glucose
Protein = Half/Half with a 58% conversion to glucose
Carbohydrates = Glucogenic 100% conversion to glucose

so it makes sense to eat HIGH FAT, Moderate protein not high protein and low carbs.

diet should always be 75%-80% Fat and the rest Protein and around 20 grams of carbs daily not more.

coupled with a Morning Cardio on an empty stomach , ull be burning like crazy and the entire day because of that 20-30 min cardio will tripple the fat burning of fat stores.

Dont eat 6 meals a day, you want to give your body a chance to burn stored fat. Eat 3 meals a day and maybe a 4th being a snack at night like celery or something.

If you get kicked out of ketosis take 1000MG of alpha lipoic acid supplement 3 times daily and itll kick you back into ketosis within 24 hours or less.

Also brisk walks on an empty stomach= direct fat burner , then go eat your breakfast after your morning exercise.

Take a Fat Burner Pill in the morning like STacker 2 or xenedrine or whichever, Caffein does NOT kick you out of ketosis.

Caffeine + 50 grams of carbs = insulin spike.

CAffeine ALONE will NOT do Any thing to insulin it will actually bring you deeper into ketosis. So taking caffeine on empty stoamch will really pump you up for exercise and into fat burning.

Lyle mcdonald the Ketogenic guru explained it all in his book.

Calories DO MATTER , lyle said it , eating too many calories and u wont lose anything. U gotta eat less than you burn so those people telling you to eat 2000 calories or 2500 calories u wont lose anything. There has to be a caloric deficit if your not exercising, so if your maintenance level is 2000 cals , u gotta eat under 2000. Lyle mcdonald recomends a deficit of around 300 to maximum 1000 cals below maintenance.

Id say 500 is good. so if ur maintenance is 2000 cals, u gotta eat 1500 cals. It will not kick you into starvation mode, starvation mode occurs when u eat like 100 calories a day. so stop paranoing.

Lyle mcdonald did the CKD diet/ Bioopus he was eating 1500 calories a day for 4 weeks during his ketogenic diet. so trust me, count the calories , count the fat, count the protein and count the carbs they all matter.

if u just eat unlimited fat and protein, ull lose water weight first then ull stall for months, and then ull lose anothe couple pounds again , jeez it may take u years before ur done.

and by then u wont be young anymore ull be old and unable to enjoy slim youth=\

hehe

I say any diet that stalls you for 6 months is BS, id do the induction for 1-2 months to lose every ounce of fat, then go on Maintenance level. We sure dont wanna spends years losing fat.

also doing body building will build muscles but burns fat TOO SLOW compared to cardio. so to speed up fat burning , do CARDIO dont rely on muscles to do it for you, it takes too damn long to add muscle pounds and 1 pound muscle only burns 50 caories , it can take weeks /month to gain 1 pound of muscle, but doing cardio for 20 mins can burn you a wooping 500 calories =\ do the math
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-02, 01:12
Registered Member

Plan: SuManKins
Stats: 321/249/221 Female 64 inches
BF:Let's not go there
Progress: 72%
Default hmmm

So all of a sudden you are an Atkins guru, not long ago as I recall you were bashing this forum.... You have described what and how it is FOR YOU! Most times, and yes there are exceptions to the rules, deep purple on ketostix can indicate not enough water intake.
Quote:
i drink like 20 gallons of water daily ,
Excuse me, but there is NO WAY you could be drinking that much water.You would become water intoxicated.Water intoxication occurs when a person swallows enough water to lower significantly the concentration of salt (sodium) in the blood. The causes the brain to swell, which in turn produces a decreased level of consciousness progressing from lethargy to stupor to coma.
Info on Overhydration & Water Intoxication(click here)
Quote:
Dont eat 6 meals a day, you want to give your body a chance to burn stored fat. Eat 3 meals a day and maybe a 4th being a snack at night like celery or something.
Are you not familiar with eating ALSO being a metabolism booster? For SOME ppl it is better for them to eat more mini-meals, than fewer bigger ones. And it depends on a person's size how much calories they should eat... I have steadily lost on a diet of 2200 calories per day, which according to your logic is IMPOSSIBLE!!
Don't get me wrong... I am GLAD your plan works for you, BUT please do not say that what you are doing is going to work for everybody, because it simply will NOT!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-02, 05:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/166.0/140 Female 5'9"/174cm
BF:30.4/30.4/25?
Progress: 32%

Your profile still says that you have not read any LC books. Maybe you just forgot to update, but if it's true, you may not be the most qualified to spread home-made advice here.

And I'm also wondering how any human (or camel for that matter) can drink 20 gallons of water per day and live????
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-02, 06:08

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210.0/198.0/165 Female 5'5"
BF: entirely too much
Progress: 27%

160 lbs of water intake daily is quite an accomplishment. If you're gonna make something up, at least make it within the realm of possibility.

#6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-02, 10:54

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally posted by melissa07
160 lbs of water intake daily is quite an accomplishment. If you're gonna make something up, at least make it within the realm of possibility.

Indeed! And just for the record. 20 gallons of water is equal to 320 eight oz. glasses which, assuming that you were awake for an average of 18 hours a day would equate to drinking 17.7 glasses of water per hour (more than 1 gallon per hour) or 1 glass every 3.5 minutes.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-02, 12:19
Registered Member

BF:

the 20 gallons of water i was being exagerated.. i just wanted to say that i DRINK ALOT OF WATER, Yes TONZ ,. so im fully hydrated

i read the most sophisticated ketogenic book, Lyle mcdonald, bodyopus. they are much more sophisticated than atkins, they are keto gurus.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-02, 14:35

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 268/218/165
BF:
Progress: 49%

It's not worth it ladies! Don't even reply...people who preech instead of helping aren't worth our time
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-02, 17:55

BF:

BTW...

Dark purple on the ketostix doesn't always mean you are burning that much fat. It could also indicate that you are EATING that much fat. The digestion of fat produces ketones as well, so that also registers on the ketostix.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Oct-20-02, 15:56
Registered Member

Plan: Combo Low Carb
Stats: 182/155/140
BF:Don't wanna know!
Progress: 64%
Default LisaN, can you please

Can you please explain that concept? (that dark ketostix could mean too much consumption of fat)? I am very confused on this issue--on one hand I hear that it's important to have a lot of fat, but if my dark color means I'm eating TOO much, then ??? I don't think I am eating too much fat, compared to what I see others eat... I've been in OWL for 2.5 months with no results, although I lost 22 lbs. in 2 weeks of induction. ? I have been in ketosis the entire time.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Oct-20-02, 18:28
Registered Member

Plan: SuManKins
Stats: 321/249/221 Female 64 inches
BF:Let's not go there
Progress: 72%
Default Dark purple Ketostix

I guess first of all, I would ask you Kelley, if you are getting enough water. Insufficient water intake will also make the ketostix turn a dark purple. I lost 20# on a month of Induction, and not once did my ketostix turn anything darker than a trace of pink... I knew tho,that I was getting sufficient water,staying well within my range on the carbs, and not eating real high fat foods. The suggestion for doing ketostix, is the same as doing a home pregnancy test... 1 st thing in the morning,using your first voiding. Dark purple on the ketostix can be seen after eating a high fat meal...because it is the fats in the body that are being excreted in the urine, and consuming too much in fats will also turn the ketostix darker.KetoStix FAQ's(click here) Are you getting smaller even tho there is no loss showing on the scale? You could be gaining muscle which weighs more than fat, even though it takes up significantly less space. If you are not losing inches or weight, Atkins suggests going back into Induction levels, and seeing if this helps. His website has many FAQ's on it, and perhaps you can get some more suggestions there.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Oct-20-02, 18:32

BF:

Kelly....

I didn't say that he was eating too much fat, only that if you are consuming a high level of dietary fat, it can register on the ketostix too and produce a dark purple color. The ketostix are only a tool and even Dr. Atkins admits that they are not always an accurate way of telling whether or not you are in ketosis, but goes on to say that most people keeping their carb levels at 20 grams of carb a day would be in ketosis after a few days.
Personally, I don't even use the ketostix. As long as my blood sugars are controlled and I'm losing weight, I know I'm on the right track.
Can you eat too much fat? Sure...you can eat too much of pretty much anything, but fat has a self-limiting feature to it in that you can only eat so much of it before you start to feel a bit uncomfortable or even a bit nauseated. If you're unsure of how much you are eating and how the percentages break out, have you ever tried www.fitday.com? You have to register to use it, but it's free and many low carbers find it's a great tool to help them keep track of how they're doing.
For most people, the percentages break down something like this on induction: 65-70% of calories from fat (remember that 1 gram of fat has more than twice the calories of a gram of carb or protein), 25-30% of calories from protein and 3-5% of calories from carb.