Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-19, 16:17
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%
Default is sweet n low still on the market?

I have been watching for weeks at my grocery store and they haven't had sweet n low. I'm totally out of sweetner at my grocery. I went to another store that also is out of sweetners. They showed me they have truvia. The front of the box says calorie free sweetner from the stevia leaf. I pooped my pants and it wasn't sweet at all and its 3 carbs for each packet.

I'm very sensitive to sugar alcohols which I discovered this one contains.

What's going on?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-19, 16:29
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

In Canada cyclamates are legal and go under the name Sugar Twin. I'm in the USA and order mine through Global Drugs.
https://www.globaldrugs.com/pharmacy/sugartwin.htm
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-19, 16:40
Registered Member

Thanks bluesinger!

I'm in the US, I'm perplexed why 2 grocery stores would have no AS. Truvia wasn't on the baking or coffee aisle the cashier showed me a special display in the front of the store with the clearanced Christmas items. I'm always meaning to quit, I'll probably end up quitting coffee too if I can't put AS in.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-19, 16:48
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Lots of people give up AS. I tested my BG to make sure it didn't cause a rise in me. Sweetness (without aftertaste) is important to me, as is staying in ketosis and keeping my BG low. I hate stevia, but have tried each and every sugar replacement, many of them are still in my pantry.

I'm in the USA also, but discovered cyclamates 50 years ago when I lived in Europe. We're one of the few countries where selling cyclamates is illegal.

I can't imagine why the grocery doesn't have any AS available. Maybe the food police have finally won.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-19, 17:13
Registered Member

I have a severe sleep disorder, I've dozed off and crashed my car twice. I use the coffee to stay awake and I love the taste. My dr has given me a prescription for a stimulant. On the plus side it causes anorexia so maybe I'll lose weight too.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-19, 01:30
Registered Member

Went to the 3rd store tonight no AS.

Time to buckle down and get that out of my life. Cream makes everything better anyway.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-19, 11:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Sweet 'N' Low has been my artificial sweetener of choice for 40+ years. They took the cyclamates out of it years ago. I've never used it a lot, just occasionally, usually if I'm eating out and want some in my tea or coffee instead of dessert. I stopped keeping it at home, or I keep just a few packets handy. If you want to or have to cut it out completely, why not ... I feel its effects if I have too much too often, but it's one of those things I can keep in my life without overdoing it.

I don't want to talk you into or out of anything, but if you decide you'd like to still use it, try Walmart or Target or Amazon. I don't know where you live, but I'm in SC and it's widely available (or its pink-packet equivalents) in stores and restaurants. You may want to talk with the store manager by you to see what's going on.

Last edited by barb712 : Wed, Jan-30-19 at 11:25.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-19, 18:46

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

I think a lot of people have switch to Splenda for their fake-sweetener of choice, so you see AS on the shelves less. If you don't find it, you can probably order it from Amazon. I bet Costco has it, too. I prefer Splenda myself, but ordered a bottle of the liquid online because it's lower in carbs than the granulated that I keep around for baking.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-19, 19:13

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Ive slowed way down on using AS. Seems like it was a natural step. Easy-peasy.

My kids find many foods too sweet now. Now that they rarely get "sweets".

So many be less AS is a logical step.

Hope you find what you are looking for.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-19, 16:31
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Thankfully I've lost my sweet tooth over the many years of lowcarbing. Didn't happen right away, of course .. but I did use AS to help wean me off my reliance on high-calorie high-glycemic sweeteners like sugar, honey and syrups (organic and otherwise). I figured the potential risk to my health from AS was much less than the immediate risk from sugar in all its forms, including refined white starches. I do still use cyclamate (Cdn SugarTwin) and erythritol blends with stevia (Truvia etc) or monk fruit (Lakanto etc)

To Nancy ... re, your original concern .. did you look in the pharmacy section or "dietetic" foods section at the stores? I've noticed even Walmart now stocks AS in the dietetic / diabetic section .. not in the grocery section with the baking ingredients.

Good luck in your search
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-19, 18:37

BF:

I didn't notice what aisle I was in, but today I was in Walmart and walked past shelves full of Splenda, Sweet 'N' Low, etc.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-19, 14:10
Registered Member

Thanks you all! I have not yet found Sweet n low anywhere including 2 coffee shops. I did find splenda. My carbs are high right now, in process lowering. Many times a coffee with sweetner has quenched a sugar craving.

I think there are so many sweetners on the market their using the shelf space for the other ones.

I live in a high Asian population area, I'm the only non-Asian, non-hispanic at work. People tell me I'm a rare breed. I'm pretty sure the rest of the US and Europe have white people. Most of the Asians I know use nothing or sugar.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-19, 17:30

BF:

~nawchem - Aha! That's most likely why the stores don't carry it. Lack of demand in your area. Makes sense.