Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Mar-11-11, 23:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/195.6/172 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 45%

FWIW, have you considered just buying a lactobacillus/probiotic supplement? I have IBS and take this one: http://www.amazon.com/Digestive-Adv...s/dp/B0007IQMVG

Then you wouldn't have to worry about making the kefir or the carb count. I personally love Kefir and have missed having it but even the plain one I can get at whole foods is made with low fat milk and is fairly high carb. So I've given up on it as I don't love it quite enough to use up my carb grams on it. Plus, it's just not the same when I can't have the peach flavor poured over my cereal. (I studied abroad in Scandinavia. This was considered normal there, I swear!) =)
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Mar-12-11, 01:05
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

This is an ancient thread that was bumped but I found someone selling water kefir grains and I bought them. I've been using them in coconut water and they work wonderfully.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Mar-12-11, 09:44

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieB
Does anyone here use whipping cream or coffee cream instead of milk? I might try that, since it has 1/2 the carbs.

Anyone on Atkins induction would be using cream instead of milk or creamer as those are not allowed on induction and cream is.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Jun-24-11, 05:26
Registered Member

Stats: 130/130/125 Female 5"7
BF:
Progress: 0%

I love my kefir and I'm not sure when and how to add it into my Atkins program. For now I'm just consuming it ad hoc and not making as much because I'm house sitting and I don't have all my usual equipment. I used to have bottles with air locks that prevented the air getting back in, and I would let it ferment for a whole week before I consumed it, to get all the sugar out. Because I'm travelling light I'm consuming the kefir quite fresh and nothing fresh is allowed on Atkins induction dairywise (the book never really says when you can have it again, but he obviously didn't know about RAW milk kefir). The probiotics are so beneficial so I'm really hee hawwing on a decision here.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Jun-24-11, 06:20

Plan: dr. Boz Keto Continuum
Stats: 265/226/165 Female 175 centimeters
BF:53/46.8/21
Progress: 39%

Quote:
Originally Posted by chell02
Plus, it's just not the same when I can't have the peach flavor poured over my cereal. (I studied abroad in Scandinavia. This was considered normal there, I swear!) =)

I miss cereal with kefir sometimes. I'd use a little jam in there as well, just for flavour. Mum uses kefir in bread dough. When I was little we'd drink flavoured "drinking yoghurt", which I imagine is similar. Maybe a different culture. The thought of the wild berries and the cherry flavour ones still make my mouth water...

Last edited by Equinox : Fri, Jun-24-11 at 06:28.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Jun-24-11, 07:53
Experimenter

BF:

I like to make Kefir out of goat's milk, it's much better than cows milk made into kefir.

But you can make kefir out of almost anything. I bought some "water" kefir grains and use it in coconut water (which I can buy in little juice boxes here). Water-kefir grains are a bit different than ones done in milk, although you can still make milk kefir out of them too.

Anyway, you have to add a little sugar to the water for them to ferment, but it'll get sour from the fermentation and that is when you know the sugar has been digested by the bacteria and it is ready to drink.

Speaking of which, I should go put my grains in sugar water. They need refreshing every now and then even if you're not using them.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Jun-24-11, 10:45

BF:

I would add kefir in the dairy rung of OWL (as in DANDR) where fresh cheeses and milk and yogurt etc are allowed if they do not hinder your weightloss journey.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Jun-24-11, 16:42

Plan: Atkins 220.5lbs Jan 2007
Stats: 250/220.5/150 Female 5'5"
BF:?/?/25%
Progress: 30%
Default free kefir in Vancouver

I'm in Vancouver and I have lots of kefir grains (for milk) if anyone local wants some
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Jun-25-11, 04:59
Registered Member

BF:

Nancy, I find the dairy kefir does just as well in coconut water, and I don't add any sugar to it. I actually bought some coconut water once without realizing that it had a little sugar in it. When I came to drink my kefir the drink was alcoholic! So no added sugar works best with dairy kefir :-) I just add my dairy grains into the coconut water and then put them back in the milk once that batch is done. It is fine as long as they go back into milk again at some point.

I use raw jersey cow milk, which is A2 so a huge improvement over the normal pasteurised holstein milk. I don't use goat only because I don't have access to a raw source of it and I decided that raw cow would be better than cooked goat. If I had a choice I would go raw goat.

I had about 500ml of kefir today (2 cups) and had no bloating whatsoever, whereas yesterday I had a small handful of sultanas and it messed up my body all day long with gas and intestinal churning and general intestinal distress. It is clear to me from experimenting on myself that (for me personally) kefir is a good guy. Good to be able to have a few foods to eat other than just meat and fat and lettuce.
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Jun-25-11, 05:43

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Read
Good to be able to have a few foods to eat other than just meat and fat and lettuce.
I am asuming that was just a case of stretching the truth for comic effect. You are using different veg than just chewy water, I hope and do include eggs, cream, cheese etc in your induction menus!
I don't think a "just meat, fat and lettuce diet" would appeal to many of us here at all.
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Jun-25-11, 08:04
Experimenter

BF:

I do know the milk grains will work in water and visa versa, but it seemed like the milk grains tended to dissolve unless you used mostly dairy. I shouldn't have dairy at all, but do from time to time.

Anyway, I was always having to nurse along my poor little milk grains and these water grains are just so incredibly sturdy by comparison!

Hey... I wonder how kefir'd almond milk would taste? I should try that.
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Jun-25-11, 09:37

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

i know many people on this board are very adventurous in terms of making your own yogurt/kefir/etc....

for those who are not so much, i present Commercial Unsweetened Coconut milk kefir!!!!!

http://sodeliciousdairyfree.com/pro...t_milk_original

per cup- 70 calories, 3 net carbs plus 3 g fiber and 71% calories from fat.

i have found in in health food shops as well as whole foods.
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Jun-26-11, 02:26
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizellen
I am asuming that was just a case of stretching the truth for comic effect. You are using different veg than just chewy water, I hope and do include eggs, cream, cheese etc in your induction menus!
I don't think a "just meat, fat and lettuce diet" would appeal to many of us here at all.

Ah sorry, sometimes things come out the wrong way on forums LOL. Yes, of course there is all those other foods too! I was thinking of cream and cheese as fat, eggs are obviously a category of their own, but I really love sour flavour and there are not too many sour foods other than fermented foods. I love kim-chee too, mmmm... yummy :-) Got to make our own kim-chee because the commercial one always adds sugar!
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Jun-26-11, 08:07

Stats: 212/175/150 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 60%

I love kim-chee too, mmmm... yummy :-) Got to make our own kim-chee because the commercial one always adds sugar!

Do you maybe have a good, simple recipe for making kim-chee??
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Jun-26-11, 13:28
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

A small amount of sugar is OK in kimche -- it's used up by the bacteria to make lactic acid.

http://www.fabulousfoods.com/recipe...cabbage-kimchee

I add shrimp to mine when I make it in Winter. In the Summer I just by at Asian market where I get pork belly.