Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-04-20, 14:10
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Disappointing blood sugar readings

So, I'm being quite good staying low-carb. My one downfall has been peanut butter and peanuts. But they're gone now and I'm limiting the peanuts to 1 oz a day. Anyway, my blood sugar hovers around 110 now. Used to be in the 90s. I have gotten fatter and low-carb doesn't seem to work for weight loss for me. My ketosis is .5 or so, according to my blood meter.

I'm exercising more. I've gone crazy with gardening as one does in the spring. My favorite exercise is shoveling dirt and digging. Phew! Hard work. I'm getting fitter but I'm still quite out-of-shape. But I can do 4 wheelbarrows full before I'm pooped.

Any ideas on returning my blood sugar to better numbers? I'm not sure I can go carnivore if meat is going to be in short supply in the coming months. My cat has called dibs on the chicken I've stockpiled.

I did go nuts on dairy which I don't typically do because it does bad things to my joints and sinuses, but I'm trying to improve my gut health, so I was making kefir and yogurt. I'll probably be retiring the kefir grains and I've stopped with the yogurt (although, that was the best damn yogurt I've had. I fermented it for 24 hours and drained it overnight and used whole milk. WOW!)

I suppose two things I can do is try to extend my overnight fast (not easy for me) and give up dairy. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-04-20, 16:12

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Honestly, start with dairy. I think that is going to make the biggest difference. Yogurt has a lot of carbs.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-04-20, 18:30

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Nancy, are the high readings in the morning only or pretty much any time you test?
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-08-20, 17:54
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

I listened to a lecture that you need at least twelve hours between your last meal and your first meal the next morning to really lower your blood sugar consistently. And that even taking black coffee within those 12 hours can raise blood sugar.

I tried that for 3 months before my physical and had the best A1C and cholesterol reading in a long time, 4.3.

I also take 500 mcg GTF chromium at least 3 times/day and that keeps my blood sugar under control as well. I've done that for decades.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-10-20, 05:15

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa
I listened to a lecture that you need at least twelve hours between your last meal and your first meal the next morning to really lower your blood sugar consistently. And that even taking black coffee within those 12 hours can raise blood sugar.

I tried that for 3 months before my physical and had the best A1C and cholesterol reading in a long time, 4.3.

I also take 500 mcg GTF chromium at least 3 times/day and that keeps my blood sugar under control as well. I've done that for decades.

I've found chromium really helps with cravings, too.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-10-20, 07:29

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:

Dr. Bernstein warns against peanuts, so I stopped eating them (either plain or as peanut butter) except as a rare treat or ingredient in stir fry.

Dairy is my own personal Waterloo - I shouldn't have any but have a hard time keeping away from cheese & yogurt. After a recent illness that affected my gut I'm now more sensitive to lactose. That should help me cut down on dairy.

Stress - both good & bad - can cause an increase in blood sugar levels, so maybe it's just a temporary thing.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-30-20, 11:45

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 74/76/67 Female 5ft 6.5 inches
BF:29/31/25
Progress: -29%

Hi Nancy -

it might be pure coincidence but I am having some success with apple cider vinegar. I just put a teaspoon or so in a big glass of water several times a day.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-22-20, 08:31

BF:

Since I wrote my post about stress being a possible cause of rising bg, I'm having my own issues with it.

New serious diagnosis with upcoming surgery, new meds, new job training (all online & conference calls - how I loath conference calls! Why do people not mute their phones when told to?), favorite donkey passing away (expected due to health, but still difficult), other donkeys breaking thru fence & being lost for hours after getting chased by unknown predator, worry about the predator returning - this all in the last month. I'm exhausted!

So now my bg is way high. I'm not doing well with what I'm eating - that's an on-going problem. I'm considering asking my doc if I should up my metformin for a while, or just let nature take its course.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-22-20, 11:22

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
Since I wrote my post about stress being a possible cause of rising bg, I'm having my own issues with it.

New serious diagnosis with upcoming surgery, new meds, new job training (all online & conference calls - how I loath conference calls! Why do people not mute their phones when told to?), favorite donkey passing away (expected due to health, but still difficult), other donkeys breaking thru fence & being lost for hours after getting chased by unknown predator, worry about the predator returning - this all in the last month. I'm exhausted!

So now my bg is way high. I'm not doing well with what I'm eating - that's an on-going problem. I'm considering asking my doc if I should up my metformin for a while, or just let nature take its course.

Sorry things have been hectic for you and for the loss of your donkey too. Do you think it's a mountain Lion chasing the other donkeys? One lady I know found claw marks on the side of her horse.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-22-20, 12:37

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Sorry things have been hectic for you and for the loss of your donkey too. Do you think it's a mountain Lion chasing the other donkeys? One lady I know found claw marks on the side of her horse.

Even tho they've been sighted here, I don't think so. I doubt the donkeys could outrun a cougar! The only injuries the donkeys had were scratches on their noses from going head-first thru the fence. I'm thinking wolf, neighbor's dog, or bear.

They can't run fast, but they have stamina. They were found almost 3 miles from home!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jul-22-20, 13:21

BF:

Quote:
Even tho they've been sighted here, I don't think so. I doubt the donkeys could outrun a cougar! The only injuries the donkeys had were scratches on their noses from going head-first thru the fence. I'm thinking wolf, neighbor's dog, or bear.

They can't run fast, but they have stamina. They were found almost 3 miles from home!

Oh wow 3 miles. Did you have to trailer them home?
Donkeys do kick the predators. That's why a lot of cattle raisers have one, to chase away the predators and kick them.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jul-22-20, 13:33

BF:

Quote:
Oh wow 3 miles. Did you have to trailer them home?
Donkeys do kick the predators. That's why a lot of cattle raisers have one, to chase away the predators and kick them.

I had to call a neighbor - I am so in debt to my kind, helpful neighbors! I looked around for a body, blood, or hair - nothing. I suspect my donkeys just panicked. It was still pretty dark - 4 am - & I heard the ruckus. And too, 1 is a mini & the other is a very young standard. Not much practice at self defense.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jul-22-20, 14:58

BF:

Quote:
I had to call a neighbor - I am so in debt to my kind, helpful neighbors! I looked around for a body, blood, or hair - nothing. I suspect my donkeys just panicked. It was still pretty dark - 4 am - & I heard the ruckus. And too, 1 is a mini & the other is a very young standard. Not much practice at self defense.

That's crazy... any tracks?
Maybe it was a racoon or something not dangerous but one got scared and set the other one off and once they start running, that's it.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jul-22-20, 15:08

BF:

Quote:
That's crazy... any tracks?
Maybe it was a racoon or something not dangerous but one got scared and set the other one off and once they start running, that's it.

That's always a possibility - donkeys are funny.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jul-22-20, 15:17

BF:

Quote:
That's always a possibility - donkeys are funny.

Yes and I've seen my cattle do the exact same thing. Once there was a fox, rabid, coming across a pasture and they all freaked out staring at it when we couldn't even see it because it was getting dark. Then they all ran the other direction, thankfully not going through the fence.
My little toy dog freaked them out once, they were trying to figure out what she was. So I had to pic her up to calm them down.
Animals are funny, the fight or flight instinct.
Maybe you need some wire mesh, the type they use to keep goats in because they walk right through barb wire like it's not even there.