Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-03, 18:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 226.5/193.0/185 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 81%

I'm the same way and have been like that since starting this way of eating, lost about half what my acquaintances did the first two weeks. Lately I have felt hungry more often, don't know why either. Well...not a whole lot more to go so it is no big deal. I plan on low-carbing the rest of my life with cheat days to enjoy my favorites once my goal is attained. Only problem now is finding a place to eat if I don't have a lunch with me. Can't eat steaks every day and all of my favorites come with a bun .

Talk later,

BRat
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-03, 20:42

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 214/150/145 Female 5'4
BF:don't know anymore
Progress: 93%

BAYART,

iM SORRY YOU JUMPED SO QUICKLY DOWN MY MESSAGE. BUT I WASN'T REFFERING TO YOU AT ALL. i DIDN'T LIKE SHADOW'S MESSAGE.i WAS MAINLY BEING A DEVIL'S ADVICATE AND TALING ABOUT SUPPLEMENTS IN GENERAL. dON'T TAKE THINGS PERSONAL UNLESS YOU KNOW FOR SURE SOMEONE IS TALKING TO YOU.
  #63   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-03, 15:45

BF:

Thanks for the new name Anna. I guess when you are posting about a comment made several pages ago, specificity is good. Lets drop it .

BRat
  #64   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 04:06

Plan: No plan, just low carbs
Stats: 190/185/165 Male 68
BF:
Progress:

When you start taking a drug to counteract something you shouldn't be doing in the first place, nothing good will ever result... Just keep that in mind.

You are on a low-carb diet because we all know it works. If you cheat and eat carbs and try to take a "miracle" pill to offset that, listen to how silly that sounds. lol

It does not promote healthy eating styles and it may cause you to eat more carbs than ever before. Just look at those fat-loss pills which millions of people take just because they cannot control their eating habits.

I'm sorry, but I will never take any pill which "blocks" nutrients, period. When you venture into that area bad things are bound to happen in the future...

You won't have to worry if you can just follow a good low-carb diet plan the "natural" way. I joined these forums to gain more knowledge on what foods I can eat for a low-carb diet and was not interested in pills that help you cheat the system. If I wanted that I could just go to Wal-Mart and pick some of those "Lose weight Quick" pills off the counter. NO THANKS!

LOL, not trying to offend here but PLEASE stay away from any drug which doesn't allow your body to perform natural functions, period.

Peace!
  #65   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 05:44

BF:

Herrmann,

To each his own, but kidney bean extract is hardly a bad substance and if it gives one a chance to enjoy something they really like without trashing their diet I am all for it. I certainly would not use the over-the-counter diet pills, never have and probably never will. I would not say a glass of wine and dish of your favorite pasta is bad, and being able to enjoy it once in a while may give those that stick to this lifestyle the encourage to continue; my personal view of things.

To say cheating the system is bad is a personal philosophy as well. I never subscribe to anyone's system and just because someone tells me this is the way it is supposed to be I don't necessarily buy into it. I guess that is why I am a libertarian and not a democrat. I don't like people telling me what my rights are or taking their cut out of my paycheck every week to pass to someone sitting home on their can.

Just my opinions Herrmann, no offense taken and hopefully none given.

Peace
  #66   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 07:13

Plan: Back with Atkins, works b
Stats: 196/151/145 Female 5'6"
BF:28/26/
Progress: 88%
Arrow Carb Blockers...

I've been out of the loop awhile but I thought I'd jump in and add my 2 cents worth.

I have taken several different brands of "carb blockers" the infamous Ultra Carb that you hear on the radio, stuff from GNC and a product called Carb Blocker2 from Nutralite (works the best).

NOW HERE THIS... They do not work as a miracle weight loss product! BUT, they do work to help you to maintain what weight you have already lost IF you don't just totally jump off into the deep end. They work if a day here or a day there or a weekend here or a weekend there if you have made the decision to eat something at that time that you shouldn't. I have been monitoring my weight for several months (over the summer). I personally have to be careful of sugar in addition to starch. I get the shakes if I eat anything with sugar in it, BUT with the Carb Blocker2 I didn't have any ill effects from it (I did visit Dairy Queen a few times over the summer) I didn't gain any weight AND what I feel most important is that I didn't fall off the wagon. I was always one once I blew it, I couldn't stop.

Knowing that once in awhile you can consume those nasty things out there really does keep you on track. Everything in moderation!! But, we all wouldn't be here if we all did everything in moderation now woudl we

They are all natural, no stimulants... I brushed up on nutrition (the Atkins Nutrition book is terrific!!!) and basically if we were eating the things that are in the carb blockers, we wouldn't be having the troubles in the first place.

I have 5 lbs to go to reach my goal weight. I didn't actively "diet" all summer long. I pretty much ate what I wanted, basically LC, but I did indulge in Ice Cream, Pizza and occasional bread, I took Carb Blocker2 all summer and didn't gain a pound. I do not exercise, so I can tell you that my overall activities were not increased. Frankly, but being able to do so, I don't have any cravings that are uncontrollable, if I had a craving for pizza I took a Carb Blocker2 and ate that slice of pizza and much to my surprise, 1 piece was plenty and I was totally satisfied and didn't lose control after that (which is shat used to happed all the timebefore)

So, that is my 2 cents (well it is more like a dollar's worth )
  #67   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 13:44

Oh I forgot to mention, hubby takes them too and he's actually lost weight with them... only 6 lbs. but it's a loss...
  #68   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 13:57

Stats: 182/152/120 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 48%

Thanks for the information. How much did they costs?
  #69   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 15:08

The Carb Blocker 2 list at $40.75 cost is $28.95 They are made by Nutrilite. you get 90 in a bottle

Here's the info:

"NUTRILITE® Carb Blocker 2, 90 tabs
Block up to 500 calories per meal

Each three-tablet serving* provides:

300 mg of a fermented soybean extract that inhibits alpha-glucosidase (sugar digesting) enzyme activity.
500 mg of a white kidney bean extract that inhibits alpha-amylase (starch-digesting) enzyme activity.
30 mg Nutrilite’s exclusive Parsley Concentrate, rich with supporting phytonutrients

A gentle way to help control calorie absorption from table sugar, and starches such as breads, cereals, pasta, rice, potatoes, peas, dried beans, and other carbohydrate-rich foods. Still gives your body the benefit of the vitamins, minerals, and fiber found in carbohydrate-containing foods.
Natural, non-stimulating carbohydrate control.
Helps to control appetite swings that trigger hunger.
Helps keep you feeling fuller longer"

If you sign up to be a dealer you get a better price, that is what I did, I don't sell them to anyone, I just signed up so I could get them at cost. I have already saved what it cost me to be a dealer and then some. I now buy their other vitamins and stuff too because vitamins are so expensive I compared and the price is right, at least in my area anyway and I get them sent to me.
  #70   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 15:10

BF:
Progress:

LOL, I knew I would stir up some conversation from some folks but again, no insults on my end intended, just my personal opinion was given.

Ok, let me submit a question/answer approach this time and we can go from there.

Let's take Carb Blocker2 from Nutralite for instance...,?

What are the total ingredients? (All of them)

What makes you NOT absorb the carbs <safely?>

If you are not absorbing carbs, can you know for sure what "other" nutrients you might not be absorbing? Ahhh, they never tell ya that usually... (Remember the fat absorption pills?) Yea, they work... but everyting just passes right through you and you lose vital nutrients, not to mention spending your life in the bathroom if you know what I mean! Hardly a good plan of attack for weight control.)

Are there any studies on the long-term consequences of this product?

Again, I don't mean to be Mr. Negative but we all have to be careful what we put into our bodies. Sometimes the things that seem to good to be true often are the ones that bite us in the long run.

If anyone can answer these questions or provide more information on these types of products I'd love to hear more about them. Who knows, if I figure them to be safe in my own mind (it will be hard to convince me) I might even pop a pill or two to see for myself. :O

Any links to information would be good also.

Thanks!

p.s. At this rate there may be a pill one day that is called "Food Blocker" and we can just eat everything that our hearts desire and not worry! Or, maybe they can come out with something called "The Exercise Pill". Yea, just take one a day and it's like running 10 miles. (wink) Ya gotta love marketing...!!

One approach that always works and always stands true is simply eating healthy, getting regular exercise, and watching your starchy foods. IE: A low-Carb diet, the "natural way". Oh yea, lots of water too! Folks, just because a pill states there is a "natural" ingredient inside, it doesn't always mean the "other" ingredients or long-term effects are always positive.

Ok, I'm done... (again, no offense) Just opinions.... (smile)
  #71   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 15:20

BF:
Progress:

Thanks, I didn't see the post before my questions. What's up with this board anyway? I miss half the posts and only see them after I reply... Grrrrr

ANNNNYway, I'll look into those ingredients more. The companies always have their own unique way of wording things to make everything seem safe and attractive. Sure, it sounds good so far but I like to do my own research before jumping on any bandwagon. Sorry, that's just me...

So where do these calories go if they are being blocked? Hmmm.... Poof! It's all magic... lol Either that, or this is just another "bathroom" pill. The food goes right in the mouth and out the other... you get the idea.

You body has to get rid of the sugars and carbs somehow right? So if they are being blocked?...where do they go? Or, should I say..how often must YOU go... LOL

Thanks again!
  #72   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 17:49
Contributing Member

Plan: atkins-OWL
Stats: 201/162.3/150 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 76%

Thanks for the info mbschlgr.
I've been looking for something to take to China with me in April where I'll have to eat what I'm given.
Maybe I'll take some of these with me.
Bette
  #73   ^
Old Sat, Oct-25-03, 06:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrmann22
Thanks, I didn't see the post before my questions. What's up with this board anyway? I miss half the posts and only see them after I reply... Grrrrr

ANNNNYway, I'll look into those ingredients more. The companies always have their own unique way of wording things to make everything seem safe and attractive. Sure, it sounds good so far but I like to do my own research before jumping on any bandwagon. Sorry, that's just me...

So where do these calories go if they are being blocked? Hmmm.... Poof! It's all magic... lol Either that, or this is just another "bathroom" pill. The food goes right in the mouth and out the other... you get the idea.

You body has to get rid of the sugars and carbs somehow right? So if they are being blocked?...where do they go? Or, should I say..how often must YOU go... LOL

Thanks again!

Here is more information for you:

Technical Information
Alpha-amylase and alpha-glucosidase are two key digestive enzymes. They break down starches and simple sugars into molecules that can be absorbed by the body – and potentially converted to fat. Nutrilite Carb Blocker 2 inhibits both enzymes, so fewer calories from sugars and starches are absorbed by the body

Your body gets rid of "excess or unused" by either solid or water waste along with the other things your body doesn't use. It's not rocket science Remember, it isn't taking the food away from you, it is only blocking specific enzymes that your stomach uses to break down a specific food for absorbtion as sugar and starch. Pretty much the same thing when you don't consume carbs, thus the name "carb blocker". If you consumed a diet high in soybeans and kidney beans you would achieve the same thing, but you would have to consume a ton of them in that state and thus, quite a bit of intestinal discomfort.

Me personally as to how often I go, I am more regular now than I have ever been. I used to have constant bouts with constipation (sorry but you asked) as to the rest read on:

How does Carb Blocker 2 compare to all the other products that claim to block carbohydrate digestion and absorption?
Most other "carb blocking" products on the market target the digestion of starch. Carb Blocker 2 is a unique combination of two enzymes, so it has the ability to inhibit the digestion and delay the absorption of both starch and sugar calories.

Are there any side effects?
NUTRILITE® Carb Blocker 2 is well tolerated. However, some sensitive people may experience mild gastrointestinal upset.

I personally have not experienced any.

Last year I did very extensive research on vitamins and deficiency. What specific deficiencies cause certain things, i.e. weight gain, fatigue, mood swings. 3 of the nutrients that people can be deficient in are in this particular brand.

Again, I do mention that they aren't a miracle cure to lose weight!! They are used in combination with a LC diet, and help on days when you make the choice to add something additional into your diet. They work for me. Now that brings me to another point, not all things work for all people...
  #74   ^
Old Sat, Oct-25-03, 07:38
Contributing Member

Plan: atkins-OWL
Stats: 201/162.3/150 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 76%

mbschlgr,
and where do you sign up tp sell them?
  #75   ^
Old Sat, Oct-25-03, 07:43