Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-26-01, 17:15
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 224/206/170
BF:
Progress:
Question

Hi all,

I'm having a bit of a stall and I was reviewing the supplements encouraged by Dr. Atkins and thought I'd buy the L-Carnitine. I went to the local Health Food store and he said you could only get that in the States, but he had something he said was the same, something called "Cut & Burn" (I think...). He said it worked to increase the fat-burning metabolism. Should I bother with this stuff or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Emmajoe
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-26-01, 18:29

Plan: protein power
Stats: 190/150/145
BF:
Progress: 89%
Cool

hmmmmmmm...better look into that one.....most fat burners i am leery with...most of them have a lot of bad side effects (shaking like a leaf and upping you irritability are a couple of them---read one of those bottles...pretty scarey!) and cannot be taken in conjunction with some regular daily meds (like beta blocker, antidepressants...read the bottle again).

long term effects are not known which is a huge craps shoot.

i have experimented with these before and i opt to burn fat the natural way---diet and excersize. hope you choose to ride your stall out. remember, Rome wasn't built in a day!!!!!!!!!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-26-01, 19:32

Plan:
Stats: 175/140/130
BF:
Progress:
Default pills

I bought Carb Away by abundance and they are not worth a dam I think . JMHO
NNN
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-26-01, 19:51
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/186/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 54%
Smile hi emma joe

L-carnitine, according to "Prescription for Nutritional Healing" is somewhat related to the B-vitamin family, although it's marketed as an amino acid. Supposedly, it enhances the transport of fatty acids into the cells and tissues of the body to be burned as fuel. However, it mostly works with dietary fat, and especially the long-chain or Omega fatty acids. This also prevents fat deposits in the arteries and vital organs.

The stuff your health food friend tried to sell you sounds like a thermogenic formula - known as a "stack" that is supposed to increase the burning of BODY fat, a totally different process. And unless the formula contains sources of ephedra, salicylate and caffeine in specific amts, it is worthless. A lot of manufacturers are coming out with these "ephedra-free" thermogenics, using weak herbs such as bitter orange (citrum aurantium), among others ... and green tea extract which is fine in its own right, but not high enough in caffeine......... these products do not live up to their claims.

The Carbs Away, and similar carb-blocker or other "cheat and eat" products are snake oil, and do not live up to their claims either. Quackwatch.com and the FDA have plenty of articles about these products. The only thing getting thin is your wallet.

Click here for my article on Stalls and Plateaus, and maybe Hidden Carbs too. You might find some other ideas to help you break your stall. Sometimes all it takes it time!!

Take care, happy lowcarbing ..

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-26-01, 20:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default Tried it

I tried one bottle of it...and it didn't do a thing for me....but everyone is different.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-26-01, 23:26

Plan: Low Carb Whatever?
Stats: 263/230/125 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 24%

I would like to offer my personal opinion on behalf of Carb Away. I myself have used them and note that they have worked for me. I take a pill 15 minutes Before consuming the extra carbs, and as a result my strips have remained burgindy and I am still losing?? so I am only assuming that something must be working??.. I do agree however that the pills claiming to increase your metabulism do make me nervous, and I choose to leave them alone..
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-27-01, 11:09

Plan: Zone
Stats: 179/155/149
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default Starbucks solution....

I avoid those meta-booster thingies - anything that messes with thyroid function scares the heck out of me...

If I want to up my fatburning I'll have a latte prior to going to the gym!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-27-01, 11:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 226/198/140
BF:
Progress: 33%

If you would liketo learn more information about L-carnitine you can get the book "the Carnitine Miracle" by Robert Crayhon from the library. It gives you everything you could want to know about this supplement. Also, I tried to find it here in Ontario and even e-mailed the manfucturer and they do not distribute to Canada. They said it has something to do with guidelines from the federal fovernment not allowing this into the country. However, I am still going to try it myself next time I can get to the states because as Doreen mentioned in one post, it is a relative of the Vitamin B-'s and this book I told you about has plenty of great things to say about it from a doctor who has studied it extensively. I say do your research and then make an informed decision about your own health path.

Best wishes

Deb