Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-03, 05:20
Registered Member

Plan: montignac
Stats: 140/140/125
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default i am back!

i am so excited to see all of these new posts!
i had a fabulous holiday, but was unable to stay on the diet at all, even though i gave it my best shot at first. i was in germany, land of beer, potatoes, and cakes. i decided to give in and enjoy myself, and am starting full force tomorrow. i have gone up another kilo or two,and now have at least 6 kilos to lose, 9 or ten would be perfect. 6 kilos doesnt seen like too much, but i think my metabolism is pretty slow now, so it might take awhile. at least i will feel alot better to be back on the diet which will help me stay on.
i have ordered the metabolic typing diet out of curiousity. i was interested that someone else mentionned it. i too felt bad on atkins, and need carbs. all grains should be soaked before eating them. for the person who is bothered by them, have you tried overnight soaking first? it really should help.
spang, how is the new glucose revolution different? it sounds really interesting.
hello to our new spanish friend! i am in europe too, and have a very hard time finding sugar free products. luckily in austria, i was able to get lots of sugar free jams, etc. but i have little luck where i am now. i have the hardest time finding lowfat dairy stuff. here lowfat is still 3% for milk, 16% for cheeses, and i think that is pretty high. people also think i am really strange for following this diet. there is virtually no obesity here, everyone seems to naturally eat moderately, so any diet plan is considering pretty weird.
the best part of the diet for me is that i feel more balanced and lose cravings.
glad to see so many great recipes! all of these soups sound really good!
i saw stretch marks in the shower this morning-all over my hips. oh my!!! really time to get serious here. i really think i need to get to the gym daily. i have lost muscle tone, which i think may be why my metabolism is so slow. i am really interested in starting yoga, for the emotional reasons as well as physical.
during my stint with atkins, i lost alot of weight very quickly, only to gain it twice as fast. i really think this was all muscle i lost, even though most people on this board would disagree. i can see the changes in my body since i tried it, and they are not good ones.
i see some here are checking calories. i wonder if i should start using fitday?
anyway, it is nice to be back!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-03, 07:29
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%
Cool Welcome Daneo!!!

Hi Daneo!!!

Welcome back, its so nice to have 1 more person active on Montignac. Glad you had a nice holiday - sad about the gain but hey stuff happens right

I feel for you about the slowed metablolism, I'm suffering through the same problem and trying my best to up it a little. You don't have your dob on the profile, would you be by any chance approaching the age where diminishing hormones are making the problem worse? I have that, recently stopped smoking, and recent loss of muscle tone all working against me - but I'm fighting back now and am mighty stubborn once i set my mind to something.

On you're note about FitDay, I think its great - I know we are not supposed to count calories, but I still like to know - also I find I am amazed a lot of times at how few calories I have actually consumed on montignac as opposed to when I was on Atkins and that I feel so full on montignac and I was starving - absolutely starving while conuming 2-3 times more on Atkins!!! I tend to believe that even though the creators of these diets say not to count, that there definitely must be a point that consuming above that number will cause a gain or at least not allow a loss. For me personally FitDay helps, as does keeping a journal - however yu might be busier than me I'm stuck in a rural area, retired husband, 1 kid away at University, the other in his own teen world add to that the fact that when I step outside, I'm way past my butt in snow(at least it covers it up ) so I'm presently spending way more time on line than I should out of pure boredom.

I kind of double post by listing my meals here as well as in my journal, there are so few of us Montignacer's that anyone just starting the program might feel quite lost, so any post's dealing with the meals or the basics might be really helpful to them. I know that even though I basically understood the program, at times I felt really lost when it came to meal time - (I still do at times but this place helps me work it out.) Take the cooked cheese thing for example - I mean what a bloody stupid way to describe that on a meal plan - as if we're all cheesemakers and would know that right off I'm still waiting for the answer by email from the Montignac Site, - I wasn't expecting great results by registering and I definitley won't renew. I did get what I wanted though a definite mealplan,(so far I only have 1 week - the site has not yet prepared the other week so and I got access to the recipes (Not as many as I had hoped but quite a few)

Wow, I didn't mean to go on so much..........

So thats about 5 of us now who are active here, hang in everyone
the word of the GI is spreading further everyday -
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-03, 14:16

Plan: New Glucose Revolution (ex Montignacer!)
Stats: 155/125/120
BF:
Progress: 86%
Default welcome back!

I'm glad you had a good holiday, daneo!

As for how New Glucose is different. Well - it is based very strongly on the concept of low GI and Gylcemic Loads. For me, Montignac didn't really go into enough detail on the significance of the Glycemic Load.

The book seems to be written better, which I take it to be because it doesn't suffer from any translation issues from the original! It seems to be a lot more thorough and less contradictory, and, dare I say it, a bit more up to date and backed by strong scientific studies.

It has a huge library of foods tested for GI and GL, which is a lot more helpful than the Montignac tables.

However, it does contradict what Montignac says on a couple of occasions so far... mainly - carrots are ok (even cooked - it explains this as a mistake in previous methods of determining the GI) - pasta is ok in modest quantities, and some breads are ok.

I'm only about 1/2 through the book though, and as a whole, it is not written as a plan to loose weight - I haven't got to that part yet!. It is more of "This is a healthy way to eat for any person - and this is why. This is how to modify the plan for different people - i.e. for weight loss, for diabetics, for athletes, for pregancy" etc etc...

It just seems to explain the GI principles better.

Spang
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 04:30

Plan: /
Stats: 140/133/125
BF:
Progress: 47%

I've been doing a mix of the New Glucose Revolution & Montignac. Like others have said I found Atkins too restrictive and when I went off it I put on 15 pounds in 3 months (5 of which I've now lost again). It's not a way I can live my life.

Eating low GI is. In some ways I prefer New Glucose Revolution to Montignac because there is no food combining involved, and the books are much more straight forward and less contradictory. Also, the food is very natural, very healthy and there isn't the reliance on fake products that there is with some other low carb plans.

I also like that NGR isn't pushing a product (aside from their books). You don't have to buy bake mixes or bars or count carbs or calories.

Basically I think I'm eating approximately 40-30-30, but that would be more on a end of day tally as opposed to every meal.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 10:57

Plan: Montignac
Stats: 180/180/140
BF:

Hi everyone,

I'm still here, though I did really bad this weekend...

Was in bed since thursday with a slipped disc, and since I had no possibility to cook for myself, I had all the "bad" stuff again, microwave fastfood and all that. And bang, there were the cravings again, I had chocolate and gummibears and couldn't get enough of it...

Today I'm better, but still waiting for the diagnosis, which will come in on Thursday, taking my pills to be able to move... I have lots of problems with my back, and that is one reason why I definitely need to loose some weight.

I guess this weekend screwed all the days I was being so hard during the last weeks, I think I remember that Montignac said it was really bad to do that during the first three month or so since the pancreas needs to adjust... but well, I couldn't help it. Today I'm back to the plan and want to stick with it...

I'm really glad that this little corner is growing, catching up on the Atkins crowd...

Hope everyone's fine.

Bye,
Sandra.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 11:11
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Oh gee Sandra, so sorry about your back, I know how that hurts - I don't have a slipped disc but something went out in mine a while back and I had to get in the back seat of the car positioned on my hands and knees to get to the Dr. and almost crawl into the office I was so crippled. I sympathize for the pain you must be in. I had a bad weekend too, so you've got company with that I don't think just a day or two will undo all the good you have done, a small setback maybe but surely all has not been in vain?

Take it easy with that back, its so tricky isn't it - to move without pain tends to favour some muscles and then all movement becomes painful, I fell into that habit and found myself really stiff and out of shape even tho my back was much better. Just now with the help of Curves am I getting to the point of moving without pain!!!! Hang in there, I'm rootin for ya
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 14:04
Registered Member

BF:
Default hope you feel better soon!

i am feeling very frustrated with myself, i cannot get off the sugar! truly, sugar is like a drug to me, i am the worst addict. if i can manage to stay off for a week or so, it is so easy, i feel on top of the world. but getting to that place is hard. i stayed home and ate chocolates and pretzels all day, even though the weather was great and i dont even like pretzels. i went to the pharmacy here to try to get l-glutamine, which was the only thing that worked for me in the past to get over the hump of sugar cravings, but of course its are available in europe.
i feel very angry and disgusted with myself. i cannot believe the control sugar has over me. good news is that i am joining the gym tomorrow, and hopefully this will help.
i feel very silly complaining about this while others have bad back problems! i do hope you feel better soon!
i do hope to be a more positive force on this board soon!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 14:09
Registered Member

BF:
Default wanted to add

that for those who are looking for recipes, suzanne somers site has them by the thousands, all grouped into meal types. her diet is similar to montignac, only she allows much more fat. some of the muffin recipes are really highly recommended. i wish i had some good ones to post, but i am not much of a cook. i have been copying down all of the ones on this site though, and really do plan to start cooking soon.

oh and by the way-my age, as asked earlier! i am 27. i too have recently quit smoking.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 14:24

BF:
Default to help with sugar cravings

try getting high cocoa solid of cocoa liqor chocolate.

It'll be the ones with at least 70% cocoa solids etc. You can double check it is ok, by looking at the ingredient list. If cocoa is the 1st ingredient, you should be cool.

get fruit in! anything you like! Even high GI fruits will be better than bad chocolate!

hope that helps

spang
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 14:25

BF:
Default WOW! Hi fuzzy!

Another disciple of the New Glucose Revolution!!! YAY!

I thought I was the only one, that keeps bending the ears of all the Montignacers here!

lol

Welcome!

Spang
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 04:06

Plan: /
Stats: 140/133/125
BF:
Progress: 47%

Thanks Spang!

I really like the NGR because it's sensible, I don't have to worry about eating carbs with a bit of fat, I don't feel like I'm on a diet - I just feel like I'm eating like a normal person and have just cut out the processed crap!

I have bounced between a lot of low carb plans in the past year and have yet to stick with anything long term. I'm hoping this will do the job because it's not really a diet, it's a different way at looking at food.

Like I said earlier, my eating is a bit mixed up. Some meals would be classified as Montignac, some would be NGR and some would be the Zone. Basically I think they are all slightly varied paths pointing in the same direction.

I don't want to stress over exact quantities, calories, carb/protein/fat ratios so I'm just doing what works for me!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 09:44
Registered Member

BF:
Default successful day!

well, i am quite happy, had my first day back on track. exercised and it felt so good! had yogurt and fruit for breakfast, then homeade chili made with lean beef, vegetables, and lentils for lunch, then lots of roasted peppers and salmon for dinner. i feel really good. today is the first sunny day in ages, and i stayed home, packing up all of my old sweaters, and pulling out my summer clothes. excellent motivation to get fit! i really love summer.
i really want to order this ngr book, and wonder if my husband will freak if i order yet another diet book. i received the metabolize book, which classified me as a lean type, needing mostly carbs. quite funny as my friend has the metabolic typing guide that listed me as a protein type that needed only 20% carbs! i think i would feel sick with that ratio. anyway, i wish i had saved my money on this purchase.
hope everyone else is enjoying great weather!
i am so excited to start enjoying fresh salads and exotic fruits. last summer, i was in mallorca, and they had the best salads i have ever eaten! tuna, olives, fresh herbs, etc., flavored oils and vinegars, just perfect!