Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-08, 15:07

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%
Default How do you make drinkable green tea?

Hi there all you green tea drinkers!

I once tried some green tea in the form of some cheapo teabags from a discount supermarket and it was so yukky and bitter and vile that I chucked the blimmin' things away (which I hate doing, because one does NOT throw food out if it can still be used).

Can anybody give me any realistic tips about brewing a decent cuppa?

I have seen stuff about how the Japanese or Chinese do it with umpteen tea pots and Gordon Bennett knows what else, but I need a recipe for people (mum of 2 schoolkids, wife of one schoolteacher) who live in the real world!!!

Can anybody help me here???

Looking forward to reading your posts soon!

amanda
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-08, 15:14

Plan: Adkins-With tweaks
Stats: 182.5/166.2/140 Female 70
BF:
Progress: 38%

I just started green tea, but I buy the Brenner tea bags from Aldis. They are cheap, thought that would be a place to start! I put the water in the mug and nuke it for 2 min., put the tea bag in and let it sit for another 2 min. I add coconut oil to my tea, but thats no dought another topic. Good luck finding a tea that you like!!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-08, 15:16

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 186/181.5/125 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

I make ..I think it's Lipton, green tea. I steep one tea bag in a cup for 3-5 minutes and I like that really well. If I want it cold, I steep two bags then pour in a large glass over ice.

Ann
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-08, 16:03
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

I use cheapo leaf green tea leaves from my local Asian corner shop. £2.50 500g
I have a kettle that keeps the water just below the boil so I don't use boiling water.
I put a teaspoon of tea leave in a warmed pot, add the water just off the boil and allow to brew for a few minutes (not as long as brown tea with milk)
I have in the past used, ginger, lemon, herbs spices (cardamon) to ring the changes but now I've got used to green tea I just enjoy it as it is.
I think it is a taste you acquire and it does take a few weeks but stick with it. There are so many health benefits I really don't know where to start.
But it is both anti inflammatory and anti biotic, it also adds your natural photo protection ,boosts your metabolic rate and lowers your cancer risk.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-08, 01:58

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Thanks for all the tips everybody! I'll read that stuff about green tea, too, so thanks for the link, Mr. Hutchinson!

I must confess that I have acquired a taste for filter coffee since living in Germany (i.e. for the last 20 years) and I think it's highly likely that I'm addicted to it to some degree or other.

What are your opinions about the dangers of coffee? Should I try and detox and get off the caffeine? I have drunk it every day, 2 cups in the morning and 1 or 2 in the afternoon, for 20 years, so it's difficult to imagine going without it.

Look forward to hearing your opinions!

amanda
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-08, 15:55

Plan: atkins
Stats: 170/153/130 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 43%

You could try some oolong tea, it is quite similar to green tea and has the same benefits but may be easier for you to drink. I have a cup or 2 every night. I am lazy tho, 2 minutes in the microwave and toss the tea bag in!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-08, 15:59

BF:

Oh yeah, I wouldn't even consider giving up my coffee!!!! Couple cups can't be that bad, I drink it black so it is only the caffeine but I don't drink pop soooo........... Coffee addict 4 life!!!!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-08, 12:35

Plan: Meat Only
Stats: 200/169.6/175 Male 5'11''
BF:
Progress: 122%

The thing with green tea is do not use boiling water and do not steep for more than three minutes (it gets really bitter if you do).
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-08, 08:12
Registered Member

Plan: Kinda LC
Stats: 171/151/135 Female 5
BF:
Progress: 56%

I too...cannot stomach regular green tea, However I love the flavored green teas. They are awesome! Lipton and celestial seasonings have some great flavors ,Orange passion fruit Jasmine, Honey lemon ginseng, Gogi berry pomegranate, are just a few that I have tried. I always have it as hot tea, not sure how it would be if it was used for cold drinks?
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-08, 09:24

Plan: As low as possible
Stats: 116/116/112 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 0%

I'd try a different brand. Might have to spend some money. Not all green tea tastes the same. Cheap green tea tastes like sh-t. I order from Stash Tea or Republic of Tea but I see that you are in europe so I don't really know what your options are there. And these two that I mentioned aren't the only ones. There are lots of different tea companies that make good green tea.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-08, 09:26

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyc1
You could try some oolong tea, it is quite similar to green tea and has the same benefits but may be easier for you to drink. I have a cup or 2 every night. I am lazy tho, 2 minutes in the microwave and toss the tea bag in!

I love oolong tea even more than green tea. Not sure about the benefits though. It has them just not sure if it's as much as green tea since it's a little bit processed.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-08, 09:47

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapluvr
I love oolong tea even more than green tea. Not sure about the benefits though. It has them just not sure if it's as much as green tea since it's a little bit processed.

I found this site that seems to explain well, I didn't know they actually came from the same plant. I think it may be one of those things that will differ from person to person.
http://www.learn-about-tea.com/green-tea.html
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-08, 16:00

BF:

oh yes the oxidizing reduces one and increases the other. I completely forgot about that. So really all tea is healthy. I really don't care for black tea but I went to my health food store this afternoon and they had this tea already brewed from Stash tea called pumpkin spice............delish!!!!! I plan on getting some of it. Its from black tea and has different spices added.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-08, 19:57
For Real This Time

Plan: SB (Sorta Beachy)
Stats: 272/260/165 Female 68 inches (5'8")
BF:
Progress: 11%

I don't like to drink green tea hot - I only like it iced. My favorite way to drink it is to brew a mix of half green tea, and half mint herbal tea, and pour it over ice. Very refreshing, with or without a little squeeze of lime juice. (no sweetener of any kind)

I use the green tea bags from Trader Joe's.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-08, 20:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 202.5/172.0/130 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 42%

Try the green tea with mixed berries by Lipton. If you already have a stash of regular green tea, add some lemon juice to the tea. And I get green tea with raspberry at a local Dollar Zone store...very nice flavor.