Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-14-06, 09:37
Registered Member

Plan: Carbohydrate Addicts
Stats: 194/180/160 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default help

well, i really dont feel like buying a book like atkins, protein power or south beach for a low carb diet. i want to do my own thing with losing weight with low carb. about how many carbs will i have to eat everyday to lose weight and have a low carb lifestyle. i really want to have a low carb lifestyle.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-14-06, 09:55

Plan: LC
Stats: 180/179/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 3%

Check out the Newbies questions on the main page. That should give you everything you need to know to get started.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-14-06, 10:35

Plan: 40/30/30 - BFFM
Stats: 153/115/116 Female 61"
BF:>36%/15%/<20
Progress: 103%

Fail to plan...plan to fail. If you don't want to purchase a book, then go to your library and borrow one. If you're REALLY serious about losing the weight, you'll do the research.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-14-06, 12:22
Registered Member

BF:

wow. is it really important to read the book!?
lol

1 pound down
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-14-06, 12:33
Registered Member

BF:
Default sorry

i need help. im not sure if this is off topic, but i am sorry. can i lose weight with a low sugar diet and if i can, how many grams of sugar do i have to consume daily.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-14-06, 12:44
feels like today

Plan: Atkins - Induction
Stats: 203.5/187.5/145 Female 5ft. 1in.
BF:
Progress: 27%

Quote:
Originally Posted by giovannip8
i need help. im not sure if this is off topic, but i am sorry. can i lose weight with a low sugar diet and if i can, how many grams of sugar do i have to consume daily.

You probably won't find someone giving you a specific number. You would have to pay attention to your own body and how you react to a certain amount of sugar or carbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVcook
Fail to plan...plan to fail.

This sums it up PERFECTLY!!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-23-06, 10:24

Plan: protein power-GO diet
Stats: 224/179/166 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Many of the low carb diets start out strict for 2-3 weeks, limiting carbs to 20-30 grams of carbs for that period, then gradually increasing . Everyone is different. I've been low carbing for about 5 years, but if I go beyond about 60 grams of net carbs in one day, I'll gain weight. And when I cheated and had three slices of pizza with three beers, I was SIX pounds heavier the next day.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-21-07, 19:36

Plan: Eating healthier
Stats: 185/178/150 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Everybody is different and I have to agree, I don't think anybody can give you any specific numbers. Personally, I like to keep my carbs under 50g per day. My sister, who was diagnosed with slightly high bloodsugar levels, had gone to a dietician which gave her a diet consisting of about 90g carbs for the day but spread out over the day. And, she can't carry them over either. The point of it is to keep her bloodsugar stable. If she's allowed 15g for breakfast, she can have up to 15g but she can't have 10g and then save the other 5 for lunch. Of course, she can eat less than what is called for but as long as she eats healthy foods and has healthy snacks in between, she's alright. She lost 30 lbs. just by following the plan her dietician gave her and she wasn't even trying. Of course, being diabetic, she has to stay away from sugar altogether but she's happy using splenda as a sweetner.

Anway, if you don't want to follow any specific plan, you will have to use common sense and listen to your body. I remember watching Oprah one day and she had Luther Vandross (God Bless his soul) as her guest. He had just lost a ton of weight by cutting out the carbs. I don't recall if he actually said he was on the Atkins Diet or not but he had said something to the effect of 'if you eat a bagel, it will fill you up for a little while but in an hour or two, your body will be craving more carbs so you'll have another bagel, and then another one........that's when you gain all the weight'. I remember sitting there thinking about it and came to the conclusion that what he said was true. Foods that are higher in carbs do tend to make you crave more carb ridden foods. I've noticed even if I have mashed potatoes with my dinner, and hour or so later, I'll be hungry again. I've decided to give that up and have 2 sides of veggies instead. It fills me up and I am not hungry again until it's time for my next meal. The fewer the carbs you eat the less cravings you will have therefore you won't be tempted to "slip". Of course, you should be eating foods that are good for you. Such as plenty of veggies which contain small amounts of carbs. I tend to like to eat foods that are considered low on the glycemic index. I'm a little worried about my bloodsugar, also, being as my brother was diabetic, my sister is borderline diabetic, and my Father was diabetic. The chances of me becoming diabetic are all too real for me.

Good luck and I hope you find something that works for you. If you don't want to read any books, be aware of what your body is telling you. Personally, I didn't read any books. I got a lot of information right here and I use common sense every time I put something into my mouth.

Patty

Patty