Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Feb-02-05, 05:44

Plan: CAD
Stats: 149/143/128 Female 165cm
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default Candida

I have just realised that I have Candida thanks to this forum and the useful information. This puts my mind at rest however I am now looking to purchase THREELAC.
Does anyone know if this will affect my low carb diet and if so is there any other alternatives to keep this condition under control.

Thanks again for taking the time posting the most amazing information.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Apr-06-05, 11:19

Plan: Raw Foodhist & Daoist
Stats: 170/160/145 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Solway - you may want to check out the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. A friend of mine with UC was cured by this diet. On it, you can have fruits and honey and alot more vegtables.

The yogurt on this diet helps greatly with all digestive disorders, and it is low carb too.
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Apr-13-05, 07:44

Plan: Montignac
Stats: 118/112/105 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 46%

I've not heard of the 'Specific Carbohydrate Diet' - have you anymore info/links for it??
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-05, 03:32

BF:

Website for SCD: http://www.scd.freeuk.com/index.htm

I maintained my weight on this diet for over a year, eating as many carbs from their "legal" list as I wanted. If you dont need to lose, this diet is great! If you do, just cut out the honey and fruit. Good Luck!
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Apr-21-05, 09:50

BF:

Years ago I read the yeast connection and a lot of the other yeast books.

A low carb diet and putting back into the body the right cultures (the 3 "friendly" bacteria) is enough to fix most "yeast" problems. It's actually very easy to do; no pills, no weird oils, no meds, just some low carb yogurt you make at home (2 carbs per cup).

The probiotic pills are not as good as eating a 24 hour fermented yogurt because the yogurt contains many, many more probiotics than the pills; comparatively, the pills are an insane waste of time and money. Plus, a lot of the cultures in the probiotic pills are not "friendly" neighbors; they mutate inside of us and will take over.

A good friend of mine went from IBD to UC within a year; he also had yeast in his mouth (Thrush). 4 months on the SCD - he considered himself cured. The SCD diet plan has been around over 50 years in one form or another before the book was written; it is a sound diet with no gimmicks.

I do not have bowel disease,but I went on the diet with him for support and I didn't mind it at all. It did cure my lifelong eczema; before the SCD I thought I had celiac, had food allergies, etc.

The 3 main "friendly" probiotics that keep the system healthy are L. Bulgaricus, S. Thermophilus, and L. Acidophilus. The rest of the probiotics have not been thoroughly tested as of yet. I still use the probiotic pills occasionally (only as medicine for not for long periods of time), but I would never take them long term because the unfriendly bacteria in them will begin to kill off the main 3 (that we desperately need) if taken for too long.

Its not a war of the yeasts with killings and flushing it out; it’s a healthy balance that can be restored simply and purty darn fast too. I know it’s hard to believe, in the face of such a wide array of anti-yeast gimmicks and snake oil treatments. Just my opinion from personal experience; we all do what we believe is best for us! Good luck everyone.
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Jun-14-05, 10:44

Plan: candida diet
Stats: 108/104/120 Female 5"7"
BF:
Progress:
Default I want more weight

I have cronic candida and have had it for years ,I just didn't know I did till 3 months ago ,it is in my sinusis and my intestines and thrush in my mouth ,I am doing the diet but I have lost 4 pounds in 2 months and I can't afford to lose the weight I am 5"7 and 104 pounds now ,does anyone no the best way for me to put some weight on and still mantain the diet to get rid of the candida ,My body won't tolerate carbs right now at all but it is not helping for the thrush either ,so any suggestions would be great .
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Jun-14-05, 12:13

BF:

Newlywed69,

You many want to look into the SCD diet; many Candida sufferers have found relief on this diet and it does help with weight gain.

http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle....s/scd_links.htm

Some interesting things I found on the SCD website:

What can you tell me about the glycemic index?
According to Elaine, "..I have been following the work on glycemic index for years almost as long as the cholesterol in diet myth!
The first report was about 10 years ago by (believe it or not) a husband and wife team, Drs. Crapo. I wrote to them and asked the question: you are determining the rate by which sugars and starches enter the bloodstream and the slower they enter the bloodstream, the better you judge them to be re raising the blood sugar levels slowly rather than erratically. However, are you ALSO testing to determine if some of these starches are being digested and absorbed at all? In other words, is it not possible that the ones you determine as the good ones since they lower the blood sugar very little, if at all, are not even being absorbed??? They answered and said they were not testing for those which may not be digested or absorbed.
Elaine's comment: Those [foods] which appear to be great according to this stupid glycemic index are probably the most bothersome for us on SCD - they are doing nothing to raise our blood sugar levels but are being fermented by our gut flora and causing them to overgrow or mutate."

********* Taken from: http://www.scdiet.org/4faq/

People on SCD discuss Candida treatments: http://www.scdiet.org/4faq/candida.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

It is beginning to seem to me that it all begins in the stomach and if you don’t digest the food properly there, the undigested food moves on and ferments in the colon. Perhaps the stomach is overlooked too often?

It doesn’t seem to matter if the food is ‘low carb’. The SCD is about digesting the food you do eat so that the bad yeast is starved off. They also claim that using probiotics in any form without the proper diet will make matters worse.

Just some food for thought.
  #38   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-05, 23:15

Plan: General LC
Stats: 318/213.2/185 Female 5ft 6.5
BF:
Progress: 79%

Kent, i was reading your site and it says no lettuce, i dont understand the logic behind that, can you please explain?
  #39   ^
Old Sat, Dec-02-06, 02:16

Plan: Primal-ish
Stats: 212/181/150 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Another Candida Diet Resource

Bee cured herself of Candida over 20 years ago. Her Yahoo Group is very helpful. The diet is quite strict, no grains, dairy, etc.
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/candidasupport/
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Feb-16-07, 17:51

Plan: Duncan's choice
Stats: 165/160/160 Male 5'10
BF:
Progress:

Bee's advice on the candidasupport group disallows a couple of supplements that are crucial for taking her program down from a year or more to just a couple of months.

Many testimonals from disgruntled members can be seen on a more scientific group, candidiasis:
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/candidiasis

Search "candida myths" or Bee.

These supplements are well backed by research and have been used in practice for years: inulin, selenium, and undenatured whey. Not even rocket science.

Duncan
  #41   ^
Old Sun, Nov-18-07, 21:08

Plan: candida
Stats: 83/76/75 Male 183
BF:
Progress:
Default anyone suffer from leaky gas

I thought i was the only one in the whole world, it seems i aint

beatleakygas.com
does anyone eat round corn crackers, im not sure if i should be eliminating them if i want to fully beat my candida fungus?

thankyou
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-07, 14:15

Plan: Duncan's choice
Stats: 165/160/160 Male 5'10
BF:
Progress:
Default low carbing is key

Carbs feed bowel dysbiosis generally AND candida is particularly fast at picking them up.

The candida and bowel disease patients who were successful all had to practice low carbing in order to effect decent changes in less than three months.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/candidiasis

No crackers, sorry, even if they are whole grain.

Duncan
  #43   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-08, 13:52
Registered Member

Plan: meat,vegies,fats
Stats: 175/150/130 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 56%

REGUARDING DOGS AND DIGESTIVE PROBLEMS? who feeds there dogs just raw meats and fat like coocnut oil , lard etc ... and probiotics ..... i have my 10 week old puppy on the low carb candida program as he has parasites and allergies does anyone else have food plans for there dogs thanks xoxoxo
  #44   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-08, 08:31

Plan: atkins
Stats: 184/178/148 Female 66,8 inches
BF:
Progress:

i suffer from yeast infection every 2 months for about one and a half years already. now that I bought me a laptop and a friend tought me how to surf the web and all its forums i'm glad that I found this forum and especially this thread! I already had a look at some of the links posted on the first page, and i'll continue reading the others. Thanks all of you!
  #45   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-08, 13:25
Registered Member

Plan: CALP
Stats: 174/166.0/135 Female 67
BF:32/30/20
Progress: 21%

This has probably been mentioned before, but I'll say it anyways...

Has anyone considered Oil of Oregano to treat Candida, IBS, & IBD?