Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-16-23, 01:20

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Dementia killed my mum — this is what I wish I’d known about brain food

I'm a big fan of Max Lugavere, so it was nice to see this interview with him in this morning's Times.

Quote:
Dementia killed my mum — this is what I wish I’d known about brain food

Jessica Salter meets the science writer Max Lugavere, who is on a very personal mission

Max Lugavere’s charismatic mother, Kathy, was in her late fifties when she began to show strange signs of cognitive decline, first complaining of brain fog, then being unable to grasp words, and struggling to walk — it was “as though she was wearing a space suit underwater”. In the summer of 2011 he remembers her mentioning that she had been to see a neurologist about her memory. His father jokingly asked her what year it was. She couldn’t recall and began to cry. “It was heartbreaking,” he says today.

Lugavere, now 41, moved back home to New York to help care for her after she was eventually diagnosed with rare Lewy body dementia. She died six years later, aged 66.

As a science journalist, Lugavere buried himself in research to try to make sense of her horrifying descent — and, I suspect, as a liferaft to cling to for his own future health. “How on earth could my mum be suffering from this condition of old age?” he recalls asking himself, while his maternal grandmother, in her nineties, was still sharp as a pin. His conclusion: that because there was no family history of the disease, it had to have been brought on — or at least accelerated by — diet, lifestyle and environment.

His personal health odyssey spawned his debut book, Genius Foods: Become Smarter, Happier, and More Productive While Protecting Your Brain for Life, which documents the links Lugavere doggedly researched between our brain and the foods we eat. The book, which he dedicated to Kathy, “the first genius I ever met”, came out in March 2018. She died three months later.

Brain health is not a particularly sexy topic, but it’s one we are all increasingly being forced to reckon with. The Office for National Statistics recently reported that dementia and Alzheimer’s disease were the leading causes of death in the UK. And the success of his book, which became a New York Times bestseller, and subsequent podcast, The Genius Life, which has had more than 50 million downloads, has taken Lugavere into the realm of wellness influencer, with a difference.

Although he is lean and good-looking, his one million Instagram followers aren’t fed topless, muscle-baring selfies or a “bio-hacker bro” checklist to do before dawn (he gets up at 7am and has a coffee and breakfast). And it’s not often that a wellness influencer starts raving about the joys of a full English fry-up after a flying visit to London — and then goes to great pains to recreate it back in Los Angeles: “I’ve finally found somewhere that sells Heinz beans,” he tells me over Zoom. Instead, he posts bite-size round-ups of studies on how to improve sleep (magnesium supplements), which salmon is the least fatty and most flavoursome (sockeye salmon; don’t worry, you can get it on Ocado) or the latest science on how to reduce Alzheimer’s-related proteins in the blood (breathwork for 20 minutes a day).

He aims to convince his audience to eat more blueberries, say, or dark chocolate, or leafy greens, through a barrage of evidence that shows direct and precise improvements on cognitive health. This includes a study from the University of Georgia showing that after eating some very specific carotenoids found in green vegetables including avocado, kale and spinach (lutein and zeaxanthin, if you’re curious) participants saw a 20 per cent increase in their visual processing speed.

His own diet was already pretty good. Kathy brought up her three sons in a healthy household, although she was vegetarian — something he worries contributed to her disease. “It became very clear to me that the ideal human diet for the brain to not just survive, but thrive, is an omnivorous one,” he says.

Lugavere eats some form of organic meat most days, with lean cuts of grass-fed beef several times a week. “I think red meat is a health food. It’s incredibly nutrient dense with omegas, vitamin B12, zinc, it’s loaded with creatine which we now see is a very important nutrient for brain health, and it’s high in protein, so it’s satiating.” He cites a 2021 study that showed that a 25g increase in unprocessed meat per day resulted in reduced cases of dementia.

He reassessed the way he was brought up to regard fat with suspicion. “I started to realise that, from the standpoint of the brain, the fats that you eat are really important,” he says. He heralds olive oil as a brain health hero for the phenol-plant compound oleocanthal it contains, which studies have shown has anti-inflammatory effects equivalent to taking an ibuprofen, and of huge importance in protecting the neuroplasticity of the brain.

He became obsessed with the importance of gut health — years before the rest of us. Specifically, how the microbiome is linked to brain health, and thus nourishing the gut with fibre and polyphenols (think extra virgin olive oil, dark chocolate and berries) would also feed the brain.

But most of all he became fascinated with food quality; something many of us are just about cottoning on to now. “I realised that a lot of the foods that I had been raised on, foods that were seemingly healthy, were actually ultra-processed junk that is now associated with increased risk of disease.”

His obsessive research has only deepened over the years since he first published, thanks to making more than 300 episodes of his podcast, for which he interviews experts on all areas from sleep to nutrition to exercise. “The more I learn, the more I realise that I don’t know.”

One area he’s changed his mind on is carbs and the fashion for avoiding them. Previously he followed a very low-carb diet but now eats plenty of slow-release carbs to give him more energy to be active. He still gives refined carbs — and sugar — a wide berth “as they drive hunger, so it’s smart to minimise those”.

He doesn’t agree with the intermittent fasters who skip breakfast. “I think it’s a good thing to consume protein quite soon after you wake up to halt the overnight muscle protein breakdown,” he says. He has a protein-heavy breakfast — his version of a lean English fry-up — about an hour after he wakes, and has three big meals a day, all protein heavy, with lots of vegetables and some starchy carbohydrate like sweet potato or rice. He recommends aiming for 1.6g of protein per kilogram of your ideal body weight a day — double the typical official health guidelines. “Protein is satiating, it supports muscle tissue, it isn’t as easily stored as fat and if you’re prioritising unprocessed, good-quality protein, then it acts almost like a shield against these ultra-processed foods, which are usually protein light, because carbs and fat are cheaper to produce.”

Apart from nutrition, he walks 10,000 steps a day (he hates running) and lifts weights up to six days a week, “but that’s just because I love it; three to four times a week is a good target”. Research is starting to show how resistance exercise increases a protein in the brain (brain-derived neurotrophic factor/BDNF) that is important for neuronal growth.

But he’s not a fanatic. He eats ice cream, goes out for dinner with friends and drinks the occasional glass of red wine. “From a brain health point of view, the ethanol in alcohol is a neurotoxin, and even moderate drinkers do seem to have accelerated brain atrophy, so it’s not a health food,” he says. “But you also need to be able to live a little — what’s the point of building up all of this resilience and robustness if it’s going to prevent you from enjoying life?”

His accidental wellness career is not just a job, “it’s a vocation. I feel like I’ve discovered my purpose in life.” And for that, he says, “there is in some way a silver lining to everything that my family experienced. Ultimately, my mom’s legacy lives on through the work that I’m doing.”

maxlugavere.com

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...-food-7cwll26kk

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-16-23, 02:37

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Also a fan, he is balanced and reasonable, even with his shirt on. I wonder what prompted the article, as that book was released in 2018. From the website, he is working in a film about his mum. Little Empty Boxes.

His podcast is good too. An recent update on moderating the olive oil pour:

Another good podcast interview with Dr Ted Naiman,
https://www.maxlugavere.com/podcast/318

318: Why a High-Protein Diet is Key for Easy Fat Loss, Plus Why I Cut Back on Olive Oil | Ted Naiman, MD

Summary of Episode includes many resource links to the studies and conclusions used in the interview. A helpful feature not every podcaster offers.

There are three books in the "Genius" series, Genius Kitchen and Genius Living also.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Sep-16-23 at 02:45.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-16-23, 04:44

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
I wonder what prompted the article, as that book was released in 2018. From the website, he is working in a film about his mum. Little Empty Boxes.
It's probably because he was in London recently.

Interestingly, the film about his mum was originally to be called Bread Head and I was part of the early crowdfunding for the project.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-16-23, 04:55

That will do it.🙂 Thanks for the reminder, our library has all three books, so I placed holds on the 3 to review them as one approach.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Sep-16-23, 06:45

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

My local library isn't on the cutting edge, and I'm thinking maybe they should be. I'm out and about a lot more now that I'm feeling better, I should drop by and assess.

I believe Lewy body dementia doesn't have the accompanying amnesia that keeps Alzheimer's patients happy. If the care home "goes back in time" for them, they can be fairly happy.

Previously only aware of a writer for the Twilight Zone, whose condition was described as "very rare" back in the early sixties, and the fairly recent case of Robin Williams. Who likely took an honest assessment of the situation and made a sensible decision. This thing is vicious and a person is aware of it happening.

Mike Oliver is living with it, longer than he was supposed to.
https://myvinylcountdown.com/

I hope he's aware of nutritional support. I'm starting to see "what not to eat" ideas for dementia, and processed foods are big parts of that list.

But I'm still seeing "Mediterranean diet," with low saturated fat and lots of legumes and whole grains. If I ate that way I'd be dead now. Or wished I were. If I don't get enough saturated fat, I crave it. Eating Mediterranean would make me constantly hungry with stomach upsets.

If eating nothing but grassfed hamburger would keep me healthy, I would. Seeing it stop a huge autoimmune flare IN ITS TRACKS was enough for me to realize the power of nutrition. My only issues were my body dumping oxalate, now that it had the chance. Which means eating lots of dark chocolate and sweet potato, as I did, has its own problems.

This can be incredibly confusing, especially with every capitalistic outlet pushing their products with outright lies. (There's some signs that the US is back to actually prosecuting such deceptive advertising, like fines against GoodRX and Better Help for harvesting confidential medical information from their customers, after assuring them they were not.)

And my vegetable aversion has a real biological reason. (Child me is VINDICATED. ) I'm not digesting most of this stuff. It's not doing me anything but harm unless I choose what works for me.

And I'm fairly touchy and radical about it because it's not only about diabetes, heart disease, and cancer. Such studies make it high risk for our brains and immune systems, too. Both diseases are on the rise.

I can't think of a better term than "deranged metabolism." It seems to be a function of high level processed food. It confuses the body, which starts doing things it's not supposed to do.

Yes, there have always been overweight people, like Mr. Banting, who ate a lot of processed carbs of the 19th century. Now, we've put it in overdrive, and when I read the first three search pages of "healthy food advice," it's all clogged with poor choices and bad strategies. Not just for me, the outlier. For all humans.

Even the researchers can get stuck with preconceptions. Look at all the studies that dominated past decades because big studies did not bear out the advice. They buried it. Because that would damage their careers, like Yudkin suffered.

That's not science.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Sep-16-23, 08:49

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Im not familiar with books by Max. But love his youtube postings and interviews. A man on a mission, a son trying to save his mom.

I need a book to kickstart DH. Which book is better to hand DH?
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Sep-16-23, 08:59

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:

Dementia killed my mother too. She was always a thin person and health conscious, which for her meant sticking to a low fat diet. Even before the Alzheimers was evident I tried to convince her to eliminate gluten from her diet because she had “ibs” which she complained about. She wouldn’t hear of it. In fact my dietary advice made her angry which didn’t happen often. She lived to 93 but the last few years of her life were terrible. I can’t help but wonder how much better things would have been for her if she had been able to change her diet. My grandmother, her mother, lived to 103. She ate the same way all her life, the traditional diet she had been brought up on. I wish my mother had done the same.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Sep-16-23, 09:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Im not familiar with books by Max. But love his youtube postings and interviews. A man on a mission, a son trying to save his mom.

I think the first one Genius Foods, the Kitchen is recipes, and sad to say, I don’t remember the last one on Living….scary thought
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Sep-17-23, 05:59

BF:

Quote:

It's about motivation. What is he worried most about? If that aligns with the author's worries, they have something to engage with.

I started Atkins to lose weight, but that was secondary to diabetes worries.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Sep-17-23, 07:25

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
It's about motivation. What is he worried most about? If that aligns with the author's worries, they have something to engage with.

I started Atkins to lose weight, but that was secondary to diabetes worries.

Sadly, he doesn't care about his health. And he doesn't listen to me.

Looking for a very layperson friendly book.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-23, 02:55

Arielle, Many people like Lies My Doctor told Me by Dr Ken Berry. I am not a fan, of his style, hopping on the carnivore bandwagon nor adding fat in coffee, but his earlier (About 5 years ago??) short videos on the basics of low carb and general health topics were OK. He has many short videos on GERD, gout, skin rashes, anything he could link to improving diet he would talk about. https://drberry.com/
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-23, 03:13

BF:

Quote:
You may remember Dr John Briffa and I wonder if this book might be helpful: Waist Disposal: The Ultimate Fat-Loss Manual for Men.
I know it was published a few years ago now, but the advice is good and the content is still relevant.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-23, 06:12

BF:

Actually, I'm thinking the book Ultra Processed People is actually quite persuasive. Even the science is explained in what I found was a lively way. He can even skip those parts if he finds it boring, because the author explains the motivations.

A great start with Eat Real Food approaches, which I think are the most compelling. The dramatic differences in the author, from one month to the next, tells a story that can pull someone along.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-23, 08:35

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Sadly, he doesn't care about his health. And he doesn't listen to me.

Looking for a very layperson friendly book.

I'm really not trying to shoot down your effort in this, and I really do understand the need to try to open his eyes...

But if he doesn't care about his health, and won't listen to you, do you think he will actually read a book?

Even a very layperson friendly book?
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-23, 10:28

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
I'm really not trying to shoot down your effort in this, and I really do understand the need to try to open his eyes...

But if he doesn't care about his health, and won't listen to you, do you think he will actually read a book?

Even a very layperson friendly book?

Im trying everything!!

I have resigned myself to finding him dead in bed one day. Sadly, his dad passed in such a manner recently.

Then I realized, I would rather enjoy the retirement years with him than without him.

So Im trying to help him take a better path. For selfish reasons.