Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-23-09, 13:11

Plan: Primal/Paleo/MyOwn
Stats: 187.5/168/132 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default Longest-lived person who has followed paleo/lowcarb?

I'm asking this because so many people diss Atkin's diet (and low carb) simply because Dr. Atkins had head trauma and died. It seems many people still believe he died of a heart attack from "all that meat and bacon."

So then I was looking into Richard MacKarness...thinking that maybe he'd be a good example....but his wife died of cancer while only in her 60's, and he only made it to 79 himself.

Then I went on to Walter Voegtlin, author of the 1975 "Stone Age Diet." I remember reading that he died of cancer in his 70's.

V.Stefansson died of a stroke at 82.

Okay, I know that some of these are "decent" ages....but nonetheless these are incredibly average ages for the general population, who are usually eating the SAD and guzzling sodas and smoking cigarettes every day. I'd really like to be able to point to at least one outstanding example of someone who is strong and healthy and long-lived, by eating the paleo way.

(And don't tell me about Jack LaLanne....he now claims to be vegetarian--even though he previously ate meat--so the average person won't accept him as an example.)

I'm sure there are a number of long-lived, healthy paleo-eating people out there. Anyone able to think of some?
Sponsored Links