Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-06-20, 16:36

Plan: own modified
Stats: 238/212/176 Female 180
BF:
Progress: 42%
Smile My journey so far, and trying to stay on track

After putting on weight that I lost several years ago I am back to try and lose it again but it is going slowly and I am trying not to lose motivation. I don't want to be skinny, just get blood pressure under control and feel a little better about how I look in my clothes.

I started on May 10 and since then (12 weeks) I have lost 19.5 lbs (nearly 9 kg). I would like to lose another 33 lbs (15 kg) to get me to a reasonable weight that at my age (75) I will feel is manageable.

I am just going low carb without going totally overboard and cutting carbs out completely. I think I would find that too hard to stick with. I have bought an exercise bike and pedal at least 12 miles (20 km) a day at a good pace (it's too hot and humid where I live to do the same outside).

I weigh myself each day - I know that people say that you shouldn't as weight can vary but for me I feel reassured that my weight is going down. However (and no doubt this is the reason people shouldn't weigh themselves each day) when I see an increase (even though I know it is likely fluid or some other logical reason) I feel so annoyed because I know I have not filled up on rubbish the day before etc. But then when I see a drop I am happy.

My other issue is that so far I cannot see the loss when I look in the mirror. My clothes are all loose and baggy (due to my putting weight on) so it's not as though I can feel my clothes getting looser.

I think I just need a bit of support and some reassurance that weight sticking for a while doesn't mean it will stick forever. etc etc.

Love to hear from anyone who can help with keeping me on track.

I look forward to reading all your journeys as I am sure I will be able to pick up hints and ideas.

Many thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-08-20, 08:34

Plan: adkins
Stats: 265/180/145 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 71%

I'm here for you, age 70, a daily weigher. I also just restarted 2 weeks ago-- after losing 60 lbs. a few years ago and regaining it. But am focused on the daily journey and hope to reach goal. I have mini goals along the way to mentally celebrate: each 10 lbs lost, less than what at weighed at my doctor's appointment last year, into ONEderland, out of being obese, out of being overweight, being satisfied with tea with NO sweetener.
My sister in law lost 90 lbs and at 160 can wear a size 10 pants, I have to weight a 119 lbs to wear a size 10 pants. Clothes can be so screwy. I just want my clothes to be less tight.
My goal is by next spring-out of warm sweat shirts and sweaters-to look a bit slimmer. the numbers only matter to me-I'm not going to impress anyone by my looks. The only exercise I do is for back pain, so I will never look like those people on google.
The determination must come from within. One motivation that I use is figure out the amount of money saved that I would have spent on Weight Watchers ($12 a week), and donate that as extra cash to my church. That means I and my church are both winners. You must have a favorite charity/relative, that could use a few extra $.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-08-20, 09:43

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I got strict, blew past my goal, and had to buy all new clothes.

It's worth it. Keep going.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-08-20, 12:05

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

In 2007, I celebrated the lost of 80 pounds
On Nov 21, 2019, I was shocked to find I had regained 30 of those 80 pounds

So I went strict - weigh daily, weigh measure everything and enter it into my computer program, keep under 20 grams carb/day, don't eat after 2 pm or before 6 am, and wait and wait and wait. I am still 2 1/2 pounds from my 25 pound weight loss goal.

It may be a long time to finish losing, but at this point I see no other alternative.

If the weight doesn't come off - so be it - at least it is not increasing.

If I go back to eating carbs, my weight will increase - history has proved that over and over again. I just need to accept that fact and persist.

Even if I ever get to goal weight, i will not change my eating pattern simply because I know what will happen if I change.

Wishing you the strength to persist
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-08-20, 18:29

Plan: low carb/keto
Stats: 234.8/215.2/154 Female 163cm
BF:
Progress: 24%

It sounds like you're doing great so far and well done on that much cycling!

The weight fluctuations with daily weighing are completely normal. Think about joining the 'daily weigh' threads we have here each month. It's good for finding patterns in the fluctuations and you can see that everyone else goes through the same thing so you're not alone. It definitely helps me from being discouraged whenever I have a bit of a 'gain'.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-09-20, 01:48

Plan: own modified
Stats: 238/212/176 Female 180
BF:
Progress: 42%

Thank you so much those people who responded. It is in knowing that there are people going along the same journey as me.

What I found incredible when I thought about it was how the weight just crept on. I'm not a massive eater and I've never been one for a lot of takeaways, just generally poor eating and little exercise and the fat just crept on.

Although I had noticed it creeping on I never felt it so bad I had to do anything about it until - I visit my young grandchildren who live in different states and over the last couple of years noticed that I had to let the seat belt out further and further. But the last time I went I was horrified as when I put the tray table down for my meal it sat on the top of my stomach. That was when I knew I had to do something.

Chris I like the idea of making a donation to a favourite charity so I have decided that for every kg I lose I will make a donation to a favourite charity.

LCinAust I will check out the 'daily weigh' threads. I do the exercise as much from my doctors recommendation to get my blood pressure under control as I do to lose weight.

I look forward to keeping up to date with how you are all going. Good luck everyone.