Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-25-05, 20:21

Plan: atkins
Stats: 154/146/125 Female 5'4
BF:??
Progress: 28%
Default Let's see how long SuzanneM sticks with this...

bwwaaaahahahaaaaaaa!

I started working out about (treadmill & bowflex) a month before Christmas, but it was spotty - here & there I'd skip a week, and then some weeks it was near every day. I usually ate ok, but had a few blow-outs. My biggest weakness has been drinking wine every night. Guess what? When you work out and eat right, you body consumes the alcohol for it's energy instead of your reserves.

Sooooooo No more of that!

I actually got back in the saddle on Sunday, after having skipped a week (and the week before that, every day. Sigh. So stupid). So I'm logging everything from Sunday.

General notes:
Treadmill - Always walking, rarely ever run (shin splints), 1 min warm up, 2 min cool down, usually around 3.2 to 3.5 mph with a slight to heavy incline. Depends on the shin splints (OWIE, DUDE), which will stop me once in a while. I'd like to do more than 3.5, but my legs are not so long. So a good treadmill workout for me is pretty much this so far.

weight train - on my bowflex, upper body only, weights and reps too varied to track here but I don't do too badly.

Sunday:
treadmill - 25 minutes at 3.2, heavy incline
almost entire upper body on bowflex

Monday:
treadmill - 30 minutes at 3.2 to 3.5, heavy incline
Winsor pilates, 20 min workout

Tuesday:
treadmill - 25 min

Food: doing good, muching on salads and burger patties or roasted chicken lately, got to slide some variety in there but have been too busy to prepare lunches. And just discovered the chicken in my beloved chick-fil-e salads have tons of junk it. No wine or other alcohol since Sunday night.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-26-05, 08:24

Interesting... The scale has only dropped a couple lbs (and that could be the same 2 lbs I fluctuate with), but over the last 2 weeks I have noticed that the pants fit a little better. I know to depend more on measurements and the pant-o-meter than the scale anyway.

I found this on another thread where someone was concerned that although they were working out steadily, the scale wasn't budging. Here's a response she got, and I'm putting it here for my reference:

"What is probably going on is either water retention in your muscles, or even a little bit of muscle gain.

When you do high intensity weight workouts, your muscles get damaged in the process and must retain water to help with the rebuilding. This was especially obvious for me during the first 2 weeks of BFL, but it continued throughout my challenge in smaller amounts."

Good words.

This morning:
2 mile walk away the lbs
20 min Pilates

I'm curious about that Walk Away The Pounds. On my treadmill, it takes maybe 20 min to walk a mile at 3.2 mph or so. On the video, it only takes 15 min. Is that a REAL mile? How is it measured? Is it because there's a lot of marching? Because I'm doubting it. It got my heart beating, but was not nearly as good a work out as the treadmill. I'll save the video for when the shin splints kick me off the treadmill.

Pilates. OWE. still torn up from Monday, so a bit difficult today, but there are only 2 movements I can't do all the reps for. The rest just hurt.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-26-05, 08:59

Plan: my own
Stats: 151.5/142.0/125 Female 5ft 3.5in
BF:?
Progress: 36%

I feel your pain! 2 or three glasses of wine everynight has not been good for me either. I have a devil on one shoulder that says "relax have some wine you deserve it I's been a hard day."An angel on the other shoulder telling me how much better I'd feel in the morning if I worked out. I bought a treadmill last spring and have probably used it a handful of times. But I have committed myself to doing it three x a week.(Yeah right!Laughs hysterically)Losing 10 to 15 lbs. is difficult.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-27-05, 08:16

Ah Ginga. Your Wine Devil visited me last night; call him back home, wouldya?

I was cooking dinner & joking round with my family. Pulled a hot pan out of the oven & set it on the counter. Not paying attention, I grabbed it. MAN THAT HURT POWERFUL BAD. A little bit of blistering, but mostly a layer or 2 of skin seared off. Makes typing interesting. Anyway, I don't like taking pain meds. So after a lot of ice etc, used Aloe Vera with Lidocaine and around 3 glasses of wine. Numbed me out.

Sooooo I guess that instead of the food I consumed, my body used the alcohol for energy. Oh well. Least I slept well.

I wasn't going to work out today - been every day since Sunday, and I was going to make this my rest day. Seeing though as how I drank some wine last night, I guess I'll treadmill at least tonight.

Wondering, how much is too much? I can easily fall out of habit, so I'm scared to skip too many days. And not having enough time in one day to treadmill for 2 to 3 miles or whatever, it makes more sense to break it up into one and a half miles almost every day.

Oh I wanted to give an idea of my typical day of eating:

breakfast - when I can be bothered: Atkins shake or 2 boiled eggs with tabasco (yummy)!

lunch - 3/4 small can of chunk white albacore tuna, sometimes the whole can, mixed with mayo & dill cubes, spread on cucumber chips (round 1/2 cuke)

dinner - chicken breast or lean steak (grilled or sauteed), a green salad w/ oil and vinegar dressing

And that's it. That's the list. I'm not a big eater at all. I pretty much "eat for sustenance" most days. I worry sometimes that it's not enough with all this working out, but I'm trying to listen to my body and be good to it, so I guess it will tell me what it needs. After working out the other night, it said it needed some protien, so I broke out the all natural peanut butter and had a couple spoonfulls.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-29-05, 08:07

For the first time in several years, I am below 150 !!! I stepped on the scale this morning and it read 149! Got so excited I hopped off it quickly in case it decided to change it's mind.

No excersize for 2 days, just didn't have the time. So today I am going to do a killer workout! Can't wait!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-30-05, 11:10

Good work out yesterday - 30 min on the treadmill. But I've got to start stretching first! 20 min pilates work out. But I drank last night.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-31-05, 19:13

Gaaahhhh only 25 min on the treadmill tonight - WHEN am I going to remember to stretch first? Stupid shin splints kicked me off.

Did weights - back.

20 min winsor pilates.

I want to work out every day this week - if I miss a day, I get lazy the next.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-01-05, 19:16

25 min on the treadmill - I seem to struggle with it in the mornings.
20 min pilates
arms & shoulders
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Feb-04-05, 13:59

No excersize at all yesterday! Totally lazy. AND I ate a few things I shouldn't have.

Oddly enough, I'm down a pound. What's all that about? Sometimes I really think I don't eat nearly enough.

Anyway, back on the wagon when I get home from work.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Feb-16-05, 17:36

phew back in the saddle again! 25 min on the treadmill (I have got to buy some new sneakers!) and 20 min of Pilates. I always feel so good when I'm done!

I've lost, I dunno, 5 lbs or so, 1 inch off my hips, 1/2 off my waist, and 1 off each thigh.