Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-02, 10:53

Plan: common sense low carb
Stats: 221/190/175 Male 6 feet
BF:27/13/10??
Progress: 67%
Default Here's an interesting article about the low carb trend sweeping New York city

there's some misleading details near the end about naseau, bad breath, quantities allowed, and a suggestion that this diet isn't for women, etc. but overall, it's a positive article.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

November 13, 2002
Waiter, Are There Carbs in My Soup?
By JULIA MOSKIN

I'LL have the bacon appetizer, then the porterhouse for two with creamed spinach."

"The pâté de campagne, then roast lamb with béarnaise and the cheese plate."

"Lobster bisque, please, and the triple lamb chops."

"Gimme three steaks and a Michelob Ultra."

Not long ago, New York City waiters would have interpreted dinner orders like these as signs of impending excess: a let's-throw-caution-to-the-wind celebration of a birthday, a bachelor party or a big deal. Not now. This is the new diet food.

New York City restaurants are being swarmed by a fat-seeking, protein-craving army. Local dieters are flocking to low-carbohydrate eating plans that prohibit all potatoes, pasta, bread and sugar, but seem to offer unlimited access to eggs, cheese, red meat and butter. It's a tantalizing prospect: weight loss without any hunger or deprivation.

"These diets offer lots of small victories," said Itamar Kubovy, a film director who has dropped 16 pounds in four months on the plan. "When I can go out and have a Caesar salad full of cheese and garlic and olive oil, I'm not exactly dying for the croutons."

Since Dr. Robert C. Atkins published "Diet Revolution" in 1972, his low-carbohydrate, high-protein, fat-friendly program and its cousins (among them the Zone, Stillman, Sugar Busters and Protein Power) have come in and out of fashion. But recently the low-carb principles have been embraced with new fervor. "I'd say most of my customers and half of my staff are doing some version of Atkins," said Reed Goldstein, general manager of Angelo & Maxie's steakhouse on Park Avenue South. He added that the restaurant was doing a brisk business in Michelob Ultra, a beer rolled out by Anheuser-Busch that is specifically targeted to carb watchers.

Brian Bistrong, who took over the kitchen at Citarella in Midtown last July, said he had virtually eliminated starches from the elegant seafood-based menu. "My customers don't want it on the plate," he said, adding that carb-deprived diners can request side dishes of spaetzle or polenta.

The diets work on the principle that when the body is deprived of sufficient carbohydrates, which it generally converts to glucose and burns as fuel, it will turn to stores of fat to burn instead, a condition known as ketosis.

"Low carb is definitely the It diet of the moment," agreed Lambeth Hochwald, a health writer in Manhattan.

It is also the most controversial. Among its sworn enemies are Dr. Dean Ornish, the guru of the high-fiber, low-fat crowd that Atkins has if not replaced then at least battered; Dr. Neil Barnard, president of the Physicians' Committee for Responsible Medicine; the American Heart Association; the American Kidney Fund; and the American Dietetic Association. All cite the long-term health concerns of high-fat diets but concede that the short-term weight loss benefits are real.

As Dr. Ornish has succinctly put it, "Some people lose weight on fen-phen, or by smoking cigarettes, but that doesn't mean it's good for you."

New Yorkers, perhaps unsurprisingly, are grabbing at the quick fix. Eating out has always been a stumbling block for dieters. For the last 20 years, following the low-fat diet that most accepted as the logical (if joyless) approach to weight loss was nearly impossible in restaurants. As a token gesture toward health, customers requested "sauce on the side" or brown rice instead of white with their high-fat Chinese food. For the would-be slim, meals at bistros or steakhouses seemed out of the question.

"I eat out virtually every meal," said Jud Ebersman, a real estate broker in Manhattan who has been on and off the Atkins plan for the last year and says he has lost 15 pounds. "And no diet has ever worked so well for me." Mr. Ebersman said that as long as he refuses the breadbasket altogether and calls for the check instead of dessert it is surprisingly easy to eat out. "Classic French is the easiest, because you always know what's in the sauces," he said. "Indian is great; all that tandoori. Italian is boring because you always end up eating salad and grilled chicken. And if there's a good way to eat Chinese, I can't find it."

"Sauces become very stressful," said Sabine Heller, a marketing executive. Kitchen staples like onions, tomatoes and flour are among the ingredients that carb watchers must monitor vigilantly.

Ms. Heller points out that drinking in restaurants becomes a challenge. Beer and wine are high in carbohydrates, but hard liquor is permitted. "You feel a little self-conscious doing a shot of vodka in a nice restaurant when everyone else is having a glass of wine before dinner," she said.

Most New York followers of Atkinslike plans quickly abandon the strict rules about counting carbohydrates and come up with their own ideas about what they can and can't eat. Although no plan actually recommends unlimited meat, cheese and eggs, or absolutely prohibits fruits or vegetables, dieters say that the easiest way to stick to the low-carb diet is to cut out certain foods completely and indulge freely in others. And this is what makes eating out such a simple proposition.

"When I was on Atkins, it was easy," said Jody Storch, a vice president of Peter Luger Steak House. "I had a steak and creamed spinach for lunch every single day." And a year ago, she said, the restaurant bowed to demand and made a rare change to its menu, adding an appetizer of broiled bacon strips that had previously been known only to long-time regulars. "Now we serve over 400 pounds a week," Ms. Storch said. "Low carbers love it here. They can even have dessert: a bowl of plain whipped cream."

Low-carb dieters are eating enormous quantities of food, local restaurateurs, diners and dietitians agree. "Guys come in here and order one steak after another, boom, boom, boom," said Mr. Goldstein of Angelo & Maxie's. Jack Lamb, an owner of Jewel Bako, a popular sushi restaurant in the East Village, said, "You can always tell who the low-carb people are: they order miso soup and an awful lot of sashimi, more than you'd think a person would want."

Dieters say that if you're used to eating a lot of bagels, pasta, pizza and sandwiches, all staples of busy New York lives, you have to eat large amounts of protein- and fat-rich food to get the same feeling of fullness. A three-egg omelet for breakfast, bacon and a big lump of cheese for lunch, salad and pork chops for dinner, then a late-night snack of peanut butter is not an unusual day's menu.

Feeling queasy? You're not alone. "I was in a constant state of nausea the whole time I did Atkins," said Elizabeth Bogner, a freelance editor who tried out the plan last month with her husband, Jesse. "I don't think Dr. Atkins reckoned with appetites like ours," she added. "We were having Flintstone-size pieces of meat with cream sauce every night."

By and large, many New York women seem to find it difficult to stay on the diet. "Women are so used to the low-fat diet — I think it's harder for us to eat all those eggs and steaks," Ms. Storch of Peter Luger said.

"And the bad breath doesn't help either," said Ms. Hochwald, the health writer, referring to the "ketosis breath" many dieters experience. (Dr. Atkins recommends chewing parsley sprigs.)

How far will New Yorkers go to get thin while eating fat? Are low-carb diets magic, or madness?

"Yes, of course you can eat steak and foie gras and be thin," said Raba Belkadi, an owner of Soho Steak on Thompson Street. "We have always known this in France. But not too much, yes? About eight ounces. This is what the models eat. They have a green salad and they are thin and beautiful."
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-02, 10:55

Default ooops, forgot to mention....

sorry, forgot to include that this came from today's New York Times, from the Dining Out section.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-02, 12:25

Plan: parts of them all
Stats: 181/166/165 Male 5' 8"
BF:25%/9%/12%
Progress: 94%

That bit at the end of Waiter... cries out for a follow-up article and a book deal:

"Well, duh, that's what our tiny little models eat. A half-pound steak and green salad for lunch." Poor dears!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-02, 16:27
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/184/135 Female 61
BF:
Progress: 46%

I actually thought the article was extremely misleading; it was as if they forgot to interview people who follow Atkins a little more by the book. They made it seem as if everyone doing an LC plan eats pounds of red meat topped by cream sauces at each meal. They also referred to it as a "quick fix" diet (objectivity, anyone?), which I obviously don't agree with. The sample menu they gave -- which included a lunch of "bacon and a HUNK of cheese" -- is, I think, a little atypical. Not that I never have bacon or cheese, but it's not in the "nausea"-inducing quantities they suggest, and it's usually along with a salad, eggs, or other dish.

I don't mean to rant, but I was pretty disappointed by the spin they put on this issue.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-02, 16:37

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Post On the other hand...

I hope that more restaurant owners and chefs take notice and alter menus to accomodate LC eaters like me...

I really like the idea of being able to order some extra special cut of bacon as an appetizer. Or any other number of LC versions of menu items.

I think it's been a much more accepted WOE on the West coast and now the East is on it. Unfortunately, I live in the midwest. Yes, we have tons and tons of meat and cheese here, but it's not configured in a LC friendly way...at least when dining out.

I'm very surprised that fast food chains haven't been more public about how a LCer can order from their menus and stay on plan.

Anyway, thanks for posting the article. Every little bit helps!

Donald
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-02, 18:12

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Re: Here's an interesting article about the low carb trend sweeping New York city

Quote:
Originally posted by mrfreddy
Dieters say that if you're used to eating a lot of bagels, pasta, pizza and sandwiches, all staples of busy New York lives, you have to eat large amounts of protein- and fat-rich food to get the same feeling of fullness.

Hmmm...guess they haven't figured out that it's not the carbs that make you feel full, it's the FAT that keeps you satisfied. When I was eating a lot of carbs, I was always hungry and wanting more.

I'm also a little disappointed on the examples that they present as "normal" low carbing. Bacon and a lump of cheese for lunch? Sheesh...I usually have a big chef or Caesar salad or leftover meat and veggies from the night before. I rarely eat bacon and I still keep cheese to 4 ounces a day or less.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-02, 20:51

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 195/176/125
BF:too much
Progress: 27%
Default hmmm

I keep asking the same things about carbs, fat and feeling satisfied.
I know that I could go on binges on sweet carbs that would have me taking in horrendous amounts of foods..and STILL feel the cravings.. those horrible how do I control them cravings.
I don't know about anyone else here, but I feel appalled at the amounts of donuts, cookies, cakies, brownies. rolls, bread ect. that I could ingest in a day and STILL feel empty!
I was so worried about my sisters wedding this last week with the mint brownies..and FOLKS I could and did stay away and I don't feel deprived.. I mean its not occured to me yet like it would have in the past that I missed out on anything!!!!!!
I can now eat what seems to be semi normal amount of food and be satisfied..not stuffed full..but completely done!
That.. is a cool feeling that any high carb eating I ever did whether in low fat or high fat combination never did for me!
Hurray for whatever that is!
Anytime I read about folks binging and not knowing why like on Dr phil's site that I was reading the other day..
I want to scream.. I have the answer I have the answer!
But.. still not sure folks will believe me!
I have a hard time believing it all myself, but that I am living it.
Poofie!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 09:50

after reading this article again, I agree that there's a lot of misleading information in there.

And the general tone the writer took is sort of "look at all these nutty people and their crazy diet!"

But, on the positive side, it shows how many people in this fair city are at least trying out the low carb approach, enough for the restaraunt owners to take notice.

I especially liked the bit about the place that is mosty low carb, with just a few side dishes for those who insist on "carbage." Let them sort thru the side dishes for something to eat, for a change!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 11:47

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

I agree Lisa, I have finally come to realise that the key to feeling satisfied is simply fat. Not carbs, not protein, just fat. When I have my morning omelet and neglect to add some cheese, I will be hungry much earlier that if I add a small handful of cheese to it.

What used to make me hungry before when I was attempting to diet was the absence of fat from my diet. Eating low fat carbs is the worse because you are never quite satisfied. But the minute you add fat to that mix, it's fine.

So my conclusion is --- if ever you are dying for some carbs, if you make that a fat/carb combo, it will probably hit the spot quite satisfyingly and you won't feel the urge to overeat.

Of course we all know the consequences of doing that too often
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Dec-07-02, 17:14
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 238/175/168
BF:
Progress: 90%

whenever food is provided at work or at a training day they always ask for dietary requirements (they mean are you a vegetarian?)

They wish they hadn't asked when I request low carb as they usually haven't a clue but its an interesting process of education and explanation.

All diets have strict rules, LC no exception and to make the diet real you have to externalise it, no better way than putting in a request for low carb....Also its good for people to find out about low carb and then decide for themselves.

Recently instead of providing a special meal for me ata abuffet lunch the whole thing was low carb (delicious actually) but the high carbers were upset at the absence of bread and cakes!!

Any way these New Yorkers are externalising their diet and getting it catered for - good for them!!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-02, 23:44

Stats: 136/123/120 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

That article is misleading about wine. Stating that beer and wine are both high in carbs so that all she could drink was a shot of vodka. According to ATKINS table - beer yes, has a lot of carbs as we know 12.5 g in a single beer. But wine, NO! One 4 oz glass of red has 2.0g and one 4oz glass of white only has 0.9g of carbs.

Whew .... after reading that article I bolted to my Atkins book to double-check - since white wine is my drink of choice. I am feeling some relief now.

That's all!