Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 08:56

Plan: common sense low carb
Stats: 221/190/175 Male 6 feet
BF:27/13/10??
Progress: 67%
Default The New York Times backpeddles!!!!

The New York Times magazine giveth, but the New York Times paper taketh away!!

Here's an article I just found on the NY Times web site, trotting trots out the usual suspects (myths):

- claiming that Atkins is a low calorie diet in disguise (gee, I must be mis-counting those 3000 calories a day I am eating and still loosing weight!)

- the good old standby - " no long term study." yawn.

- dubious links between meat and heart disease and cancer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

September 10, 2002
High-Fat Diet: Count Calories and Think Twice
By JANE E. BRODY

he debate over high-fat versus low-fat as a means of weight control flared up again this summer, leaving many weight-conscious Americans thoroughly confused and most nutrition experts up in arms.

Though billed as a "diet revolution," the high-protein, high-fat, extremely low carbohydrate diet championed by Dr. Robert C. Atkins is hardly revolutionary. It was first promoted in the late 1800's by an English coffin maker and has reappeared periodically in various incarnations, most successfully since the early 1970's by Dr. Atkins, who promoted it with a series of books and a clinic that bear his name.

Does it help people lose weight? Of course it does. If you cannot eat bread, bagels, cake, cookies, ice cream, candy, crackers, muffins, sugary soft drinks, pasta, rice, most fruits and many vegetables, you will almost certainly consume fewer calories. Any diet will result in weight loss if it eliminates calories that previously were overconsumed.

This diet seems easy because it places no limits on the amounts of meats, fats, eggs, cheese and the like you can eat. These foods digest slowly, making you feel satisfied longer. Also, a diet without carbohydrates causes the body to make substances called ketones that may create a mild nausea, suppressing hunger.

But in a major report last week, the Institute of Medicine of the National Academies emphasized the importance of balance of nutrients, with carbohydrates — starches and sugars — making up 45 percent to and 65 percent of daily calories and fats, 20 percent to 35 percent. The panel of 21 scientists also urged Americans to keep as low as possible their consumption of saturated fats, the foods Dr. Atkins recommends as his diet's main components.

Testimonials abound from people who have lost scores of pounds — painlessly, they say — on the Atkins diet. This is not surprising. After all, how much of a limited category of foods can you eat before you find yourself eating less and less? With few carbohydrates, the weight initially comes pouring off — literally — in body water, the first 5 to 10 pounds of weight loss.

One question I'd like to see answered is how long anyone can stay on such a scheme and what happens when you start adding back some of the wholesome foods limited or forbidden on this diet, like sweet corn, grapes, watermelons, potatoes, carrots, beets or oatmeal.

The Great Unknowns A more important question: For those who stick with the diet, which allows back very limited amounts of carbohydrate-rich foods, what happens to their health?

In a study by Dr. Chia-Ying Wang and colleagues at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas, reported in August in The American Journal of Kidney Diseases, just six weeks of a low-carbohydrate, high-protein diet greatly increased the risk of developing kidney stones. "This study shows that this is not a healthy way to lose weight," Dr. Wang said.

What is surprising is that after three decades of simmering and soaring popularity, the Atkins diet has yet to be tested for long-term safety and effectiveness.

In an interview, Dr. Atkins said: "A long-term study would cost millions and millions of dollars. We can afford to do a six-month study." Those shorter studies, he said, have shown "major improvements in lab tests and well-being." He said his foundation has contributed to a study under way at Harvard comparing the short-term effectiveness and health effects of diets low in carbohydrates versus diets low in fat.

Dr. Abby Block, nutritionist at the foundation, said studies of the Atkins diet lasting six months to a year and extensive clinical experience, have shown consistent improvements in blood lipids and glucose levels, suggesting that the diet can improve health despite its high levels of saturated fats and cholesterol, long associated with heart disease risks.

Why hasn't the government tested it? One possible reason is that it is unlikely to be approved by any review committee, given what is known about the effects of animal fats and cholesterol on the risk of heart disease, strokes and some cancers, as well as accumulating evidence that diets rich in fruits and vegetables and moderate in protein and fat can prevent diseases like high blood pressure, prostate cancer, heart disease and diabetes.

The Atkins diet is shy on several vital nutrients, including the B vitamins and vitamins A, C and D, antioxidants that slow the effects of aging, and calcium. And, a diet rich in animal protein can draw calcium from the bones, increasing the risk of osteoporosis and hip fractures.

What Are the Facts?

The Atkins diet is attractive to many Americans who have found it hard to lose weight on a low-fat diet. In recent decades, as Americans have been admonished to eat less fat, levels of obesity continued to rise, a situation noted in a recent article in The New York Times Magazine by Gary Taubes, a science writer, who told me he had lost considerable weight on the Atkins diet.

But many well-established facts can explain what happened to the American figure without damning carbohydrates or blaming low-fat diets, per se.

First, Americans are simply eating more — an average of 400 calories a day more than they did decades ago. Four hundred calories times 365 days divided by 3,500 (the amount of calories in a pound of fat) equals 41.7 pounds gained in a year, all other things being equal.

Of course, the caloric increase did not happen overnight, but the gradual increase, with little or no increase in caloric output from physical activity, can easily explain the creeping obesity that is now approaching a gallop.

Second, portion sizes have ballooned. A double cheeseburger, jumbo fries and supersize soda may be a single meal at a restaurant, but they contain all the calories a person should consume in an entire day. In a recent survey by the American Institute for Cancer Research, two-thirds of diners said they ate all they were served — at one sitting — most or all of the time.

When nutrition experts began urging Americans to cut back on fats, many filled in by eating more carbohydrates — a lot more than anyone recommended. Food producers jumped on the bandwagon to produce low-fat snacks and desserts, and Americans went hog wild, eating as much of them as they wanted.

Many fat-free foods have as many calories, or nearly as many, as their original high-fat versions, since sugars and other carbohydrates replace the fat and reduce the loss of flavor.

Third, Americans are not eating a low-fat diet. Despite a decline in the percentage of fats in the American diet, most people still eat the same amount. As caloric intake rose, the percentage of fat calories dropped but the total amount did not. Americans are eating more of everything, especially refined carbohydrates, which are made from white flour and sugars, doing neither their health nor their waistlines any good.

Too many refined carbohydrates can raise blood levels of heart-damaging triglycerides and may increase the risk of diabetes as well as obesity. Neither is it wise to cut out all fats. The body needs fat to aid in the absorption of essential nutrients, fat enhances flavor and satiety, and some fats actually promote health.

These ideas are not new. Several years ago, I wrote that healthful dietary fats found in foods like avocados, nuts and fish belong in the diet, both for disease prevention and weight control. I quoted Dr. Margo Denke of Southwestern Medical Center: "The swing back to Atkins is a response to the fact that a low-fat diet hasn't worked for a lot of people because they stuff in carbohydrates."

To which Dr. Alice H. Lichtenstein, professor of nutrition at Tufts University in Boston, added: "Reducing fat alone is no guarantee of weight loss. You must cut calories or increase physical activity."

Dr. Denke concurred: "No matter what anyone tells you, it's calories that count. Carefully controlled metabolic studies show that it doesn't matter where extra calories come from. Eat more calories than you expend and you'll gain weight."
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 14:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 174/163/163 Male 5 feet 7 inches
BF:21.1%/18.5%/18.5%
Progress: 100%

Quote: Why hasn't the government tested it? One possible reason is that it is unlikely to be approved by any review committee, given what is known about the effects of animal fats and cholesterol on the risk of heart disease, strokes and some cancers, as well as accumulating evidence that diets rich in fruits and vegetables and moderate in protein and fat can prevent diseases like high blood pressure, prostate cancer, heart disease and diabetes.

Translation: They won't test it because they already know everything without tests.

Some scientists. See the Artemus Ward quotation below.

Sheldon
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 15:13

Plan: Atkins+
Stats: 386/285/200 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 54%

As a reporter, Jane Brody was one of the major pushers in the low fat movement. What would you expect her to say?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 15:17

here's an amusing if somewhat mean spirited reply to Jane Brody that I found on a NY Times health and nutrition forum:

~~~~~~~~~~~

Ms. Brody dismisses the Atkins nutritional plan without much to back up her rejection... One gets the sense that this article represents Ms. Brody's "revenge" for those who have assailed her for adhering to her "low fat" outlook, pointing out that for her age and height, she is significantly overweight. Maybe she should try the Atkins plan rather than simply throwing barbs.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-13-02, 08:12

Plan: atkins
Stats: 325/243/150
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default Anti Low Carb article in NYTimes: Jane Brody against it

High-Fat Diet: Count Calories and Think Twice

September 10, 2002
By JANE E. BRODY

High-fat, low-carb diets may be dangerous. The best way to
lose weight is with a diet rich in fruits and vegetables,
as well as vitamins.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/10/h...79722b7d1da338b

This article irritates me because she is so clearly biased. Her whole career has been writing about the USA food pyramid. She should examine her lifelong bias. Her choice of scientific info to back up her judgment is quite biased. didn't she read the NYTimes magazine article, published in July, that quoted lots of science to support LC?
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-13-02, 16:58

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hmmm...guess we won't mention the fact that dear Jane could stand to drop a few pounds herself. Either she doesn't follow her own advice or it's not working very well for her.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-13-02, 18:04
Registered Member

Stats: 155/155/150
BF:
Progress:
Default lol

tough for some to admit they are so wrong abouyt something especially if her career was based on it as many others. the reason the govt doesnt want to come clean with the info is that Im sure they dont want to bankrupt all these compamies with processed foods. Its all about the dollar as usual, not the people's well-being.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Sep-14-02, 13:29
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 242/204/142 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

Why are reporters always attacking Dr. Atkin's and quoting research "studies" that have nothing to do with the way we eat?
This lady is obviously an idiot. She states the facts yet she doesn't see the connections. She's stuck somewhere between what the government wants us to believe and what we already know. She really needs to wake up and smell the coffee.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Sep-15-02, 17:00

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Just more of the same "blah blah blah"" Atkins is a low calorie diet in disguise. Obviously she hasn't looked into it seriously at all, just poo poo'ed it on principle.

Yes she is right on some points. Americans are eating more and excercising less. And portions are much bigger than they used to. I am sure that has had an impact on the obesity epidemic, but she hasn't even touched on the insulin resistance and carb addiction phenomenon. For reading testimonials after testimonials of people who go on a carb binge after just a taste of high carb food, I've become convinced that this is a real condition.

I giver her article a big because obviously she is talking out of her a** and hasn't even bothered to look into lowcarbing seriously.

ps : low fat diets don't work simply because the human body has never been made to endure starvation conditions for long, which is what a "diet" is. It will fight that condition very hard and usually with a great deal of sucess.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 13:57

Stats: 149/142.5/120
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default i know it's a small point

but what is this all about?

"Also, a diet without carbohydrates causes the body to make substances called ketones that may create a mild nausea, suppressing hunger."

A mild nausea? Is there anything to this? Or is the word "may" in there just to CYA (or CHA, for grammar's sake)? It seems kind of irresponsible to be telling people that Atkins & low-carb will make you feel nausea if there isn't some scientific basis for it. It's like she's grasping for any straw she can get her hands on. Does she really think that millions of us would walk around & keep low-carbing if we felt nauseous all the time? Because that's so much fun. How counter-intuitive is that? I don't care how much weight I can lose, if I'm walking around thinking I'm going to be sick all the time because of my diet, you can bet I'll be changing what I eat.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 14:04

I guess it's better to walk around feeling like you're going to die of starvation, which is what happens on a low-fat diet.

Sheldon
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 14:17
Registered Member

Stats: 155/155/150
BF:
Progress:
Default aww

cmon, we all are nauseas, admit it but its from all this propaganda not the food. Can they do the right thing and admit what they're trying so hard to not see? Its clear to us.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 19:40

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

A small percentage of people (note: SMALL) do experience some mild nausea while going through carbohydrate withdrawal and beginning ketosis. It's usually mild and doesn't last for long, but it does happen, but to imply as above that everyone who follows a low carb lifestyle walks around nauseous all the time is misinformed and just plain wrong. Personally, I've never experienced any nausea because of low carb. I wonder if she's actually ever interviewed people who have been on low carb for a while or if she's just quoting the usual stuff put out by people who haven't got a clue what low carb is about or like at all. Seems more like the latter. Sad, really, for someone who is supposed to be a journalist. Aren't they supposed to be committed to reporting the facts or is it just the facts as they (or the easiest source they can find, right or wrong) see it?
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 22:03

what struck me about that particular Jane Brody sentence :

"Also, a diet without carbohydrates causes the body to make substances called ketones that may create a mild nausea, suppressing hunger."

was that she seems to be saying that it is the alleged nausea that causes the hunger suppression. How incredibly wrong is that? I mean, is this just sloppy writing or did she really mean that?

In fact, in just that one sentence I can spot the following errors:

1) Most people do not experience nausea on an LC diet. Constipation, dizziness, yes, but not nausea.

2) The almost non-existant nausea does not suppress hunger - it's that complicated insulin response that I don't understand myself (but I am not a NY Times reporter, so I don't have to!). Plus the fact that the high fat content leaves you sated.

3) Ketones don't cause the reduced hunger response either (if that is what she meant??). They are simply a byproduct of ketosis.

4) It's not a diet "without carbohydrates", but a low carbohydrate diet. Big difference, especially when you move into the later phases.

So in just 21 words, she manages to make 4 humongous errors. Nevermind her low fat bias, this Jane Brody person is just plain incompetent!!!
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-02, 06:09

Quote:
Originally posted by Lisa N
Sad, really, for someone who is supposed to be a journalist. Aren't they supposed to be committed to reporting the facts or is it just the facts as they (or the easiest source they can find, right or wrong) see it?

No. They are not committed to finding and reporting facts. They are committed to "making a difference." That is a far different thing. For them, reality is malleable and perception agenda-driven. I've been there.

Sheldon