Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-16-10, 08:33
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 271/265/145 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default Holiday Help

So, next week is Thanksgiving. What do most of you do for holidays with family? Obviously Turkey is a great protien and I'm not concerned about that, what I am concerned with is the mashed potatos, rolls, corn, and high fat foods like gravy. Not to mention pumpkin pie!

I'm trying to work out my plan, but I would love some advice from others about how they are planning on working the holiday that's "all about food" into their SBD plan?

Thanks for any thoughts or advice.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-16-10, 09:14

Plan: trying to figure it out
Stats: 214/201.4/160 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 23%

Turkey obvious choice, even lean Ham
Sides:
Green Bean salad ( green beans with a olive oil and vinegar and Herbs)
Mashed Cauliflower instead of Mashed Potatoes
IF you are in Phase 2, you are allowed to have Fruits, so you can make your own Cranberry Sauce with Fresh Cranberries, Oranges and Splenda
No need for rolls, or you could make OOPSIE Rolls (search the website here and you will find the recipe) they are approved since it is just eggs and Cream Cheese.
Corn, again in Phase 2 allowed in moderation, Phase 2 you could have Whole Grain Rolls.
Leave out the Gravy, no need for it at all. Pumpkin is allowe din Phase 2 I am pretty sure if you search around the forum you can find a Pumpkin pie recipe that is suitable, Crust could be made with Almond Flour ( nuts are allowed in all phases)
So really no big deal to make it all suitable for Thanksgiving South Beach Style, except the Gravy and Stuffing.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-16-10, 09:15
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidjee
So, next week is Thanksgiving. What do most of you do for holidays with family? Obviously Turkey is a great protien and I'm not concerned about that, what I am concerned with is the mashed potatos, rolls, corn, and high fat foods like gravy. Not to mention pumpkin pie!

I'm trying to work out my plan, but I would love some advice from others about how they are planning on working the holiday that's "all about food" into their SBD plan?

Thanks for any thoughts or advice.

Being that you are new and just starting out, it'd be really wise for you to have a good plan in place for the day.

If you are having this at your home, you can make sure that you've made legal dishes for yourself. Are you?

If not, what I did was bring a veggie dish( stewed zucchini) that I made at home so that I knew that there'd be one dish to have with the turkey. I took a plate and put 1 spoonful of most of the dishes on the table as some thigs I just don't like. No bread or rolls though and steer clear of that stuffing!!
I ate all the food on my plate and seconds were turkey and maybe a bit more of my veggie dish.
Dessert was where I used the '3 bite rule' from the book. Love that!!

Its good to have a plan and you're wise to ask.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-16-10, 09:36

Plan: atkins
Stats: 220/220/160 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Great ideas! I am making our dinner so I will definitely make sure I have some legal things for myself!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-16-10, 12:18
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
If you are having this at your home, you can make sure that you've made legal dishes for yourself. Are you?

Nope, and not only am I not hosting, it's out of state, so hubby and I will have a full day of travel (an entire other mess of eating while traveling). I will have to give additional thought to what I can make that is legal for me to eat. The three bite rule is a great idea!

Thanks all for the suggestions.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-16-10, 14:37

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

The full day of travel makes this one tough, but here are some ideas:

1. bring the ingredients for a nice green salad- goat cheese, lettuce, jar of roasted bell peppers or artichoke hearts, an onion, etc...this type of stuff should be fine in the trunk and then you can make the salad the day of

2. bring a bottle of sugar free davincis, so you can have a "fancy coffee" during the pie time

3. ask the host/hostess what is being served
and off to whip a nice vegetable side dish the night before, after you arrive...

are you going to be with family, so you can explain your new way of eating?
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-16-10, 18:35
Registered Member

BF:

Yep, I'll be with family and they'll be ok. I'm really worried most about my will power. I want to do well and not undo everything I've done, plus possibly set myself up for carb withdrawl again. I think I'll just have to put on my willpower cap and know in my heart and mind that the SBD way is the correct way for my body.

Thanks again for the suggestions.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Nov-18-10, 13:34

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 311/219.6/180 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 70%

My gramma's dressing is my absolute favorite..I'm dreading even going since I can't have it, to be perfectly honest. Dinner just won't be the same, but being healthy and losing weight is more important to me as of right now. I pray I can stick to this come next Thursday!