Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Everywhere
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#136   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 22:15

Plan: Atkins,PP
Stats: 202/147/120
BF:
Progress: 67%

Alfred, I guess we gotta be glad, at least we can scrap off most of the carbs that's laden onto the fastfoods here...so it's ok to have the mushroom swiss patty (note: i am talking abt the patty)...

chicken-wise...if you eat it with the crisps...it should cost you like 30-40g of carbs in just one piece...thats according to a carb counter book I bought.

Fairday, we cant avoid the carbs even if the meat is marinated with just soy sauce...it has got slight carbs in it as well...I didnt really have much problems with KFC (without most of the crisps if possible)...

Lots of butter? Thats my favourite too...so what brands do y'all like? Currently I am using SCS butter...it's cheaper...but my ultimate favourite brand has got to be this Danish butter but right now i cant recall its name... I know it sells for $2.50 and has either salted or unsalted versions.

My brother likes Breeks Buffet...I have not tried it myself...hmmmz and he said the mash potato was really wonderful.......slurp~
Sponsored Links
  #137   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 02:37

Plan: atkins
Stats: 136/136/110 Female 165
BF:
Progress:

hi everyone, im new here
tried to start atkins but erm cheated after 3days !!
feeling so demoralised ... jus not used to not having carbs ..
shall start again tomorow!
yeah i find it hard to LC in SG, coz buying meat is so expensive and erm not much variety , its like chicken or fish , beef is expensive .. and i dont really like pork ..
and i wld like to know how long does it take to get into ketosis? i think i was getting impatient after 3days heheh that nothing is happening so i faltered!
im studying n working so i do not have much time to exercise =(

please help!
thanks =)
  #138   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 02:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 121/121/99 Female 151
BF:
Progress:

Hi everyone

i went for my fren's month old baby lunch yesterday.... arrrrr....not that I cannot resist the carbs...but my fren's parents made the glutinuos rice and the "angkukueh" and was proudly announcing to everyone and asking everyone to eat!!! some more they know me from very young....

So .... u know what happened...
If dun eat, old pple sure not happy. then when u want to just eat a tinsy winsy bit also cannot, bcos they are watching and they might get offended if u do not finish it....

so, there goes my diet....

oh well....

Anyway, had my major leg cramp last sat. read that pple on atkins get leg cramps. I had never had leg cramp and that was my major leg cramp.
Anyone had this too? ( up til now still pain )

terrible weekend, huh?
  #139   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 09:30

BF:

nvm lah buppy, if the elders ask you to wolf that ang ku kueh down...bo bian...just go back on induction for a wk to get back on track...it is ok...last time i used to freak out about having to wait for one wk...but it is better that i end up not low-carbing.

i made a big mistake last time when i tried to reset the ketosis process by taking lots of carb..because i reached a plateau and i couldnt lose on the scales. and Atkins actually warned abt this method that low-carbers can go haywire, though this was suggested if nothing else worked. indeed, that made me a non-lowcarber for almost a year and it affected the rest of my efforts (the next few years to say)

despite low-carbin on/off for so long, i still have soft spots for bee hoon, potatoes...but i will only take them occasionally now. a few mths back i was really relaxed on the carb count and i bought myself a pkt of bee hoon every wkday morning.

i will only get leg cramps when i swing my left leg too hard in the swimming pool. or when my room air con gets too cold, my leg will get cramps when i toss around on my bed.

oh yah forgot to say, now i find myself thinkin less of salmon sashimi... i am now on higher protein intake. today's lunch i only took a small puff of rice for 'show'...my colleagues were like huh????, and end up that puff wasnt eaten but 'played around with' (pai seh) ...so to look as if i have taken some rice.
  #140   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 11:10
Registered Member

Plan: atkin
Stats: 61/59/49
BF:
Progress: 17%

Hi frens...

Long time no see... Have been real busy... and don't know for what reason, I seem to have stopped receiving emails notifgying me that you guys have made some posting on the forum...

Fumih.. I am becoming more like you liaoz... less calculative on the carbs... I will give myself some 'rewards' hahaha... esp peanuts.. which is my fav... luckily.. my weigh does not goes up...

So confirm that we are meetg up in end Sep?? or if you all don't mind, we can meet once this month and another nxt month...

Btw, I talked so much... you all still remember me anot???

Regards
Rina
  #141   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 11:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 121/121/99 Female 151
BF:
Progress:

Hi bunni

Honestly i also dunno if i got into ketosis or not.
BY right if u follow the induction diet in Atkins, u should be in ketosis by 2 weeks. Unless you are one of those terribly "hard" ones.

This is my third week into the Aktins diet. So far I have not been super strict, except on the sugars part...I still eat quite alot of vegetables in the allowed list( even if it is supposed to be restricted to 3 cups). So as far as i know, i do feel better, more energy and less cravings.

I read in the previous postings that u can check if u are in ketosis by buying those strips that can test in Guardian. Mayb u can check that out.

another lapse today....ate potato cake in mee hoon soto... cant resist it...arrrggggghhhhhh ( but luckily mee hoon can still resist )
  #142   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 16:14

BF:
Progress:

thanks buppy =)

but i hv yet to stay on induction for 2 weeks =(
super lack of discipline!!

n i cant seem to find the atkins new diet revolution book anywhere!
but i jus gotten my hands on the south beach diet book from the library .. sounds much better than atkins, coz its less restrictive =)

ohwell ...
  #143   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 23:48
Registered Member

Plan: atkin
Stats: 61/59/49
BF:
Progress: 17%

Hi bunni...

I happen to saw Atkins new Revoluntion Dietbook at Kino... the one at Taka.... Its near to the escalator (the one opp Zara)... think its selling $17plus....
  #144   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 08:11

BF:
Progress:

oh great! =)

thanks rina! i shall go check it out !
  #145   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 09:22

BF:

ello everybody...

yeah hopefully we can arrange for an outing this Sept...

south beach diet...hmmmz in fact i think for those pple more relaxed on atkins and not taking high fat are considered under south beach diet grp...but i am not coz i still want my butter.

i admit manz..yday and thats saturday. i purposely went to eat bee hoon for breakfast in office. thats one of my soft spots..kkekeke but i wont regret it ....anyway today i just went for a ktv session and had more illegal carbs hehehe....later on i went over to Chomp Chomp ~ sgoon Gdns makan....had stingray, hokkien mee (a few mouthfuls), chicken wings and carrot cake (a few mouthfuls as well)....

i had some chicken wings for takeaway...and none of my family members is interested in it...right now 2 wings are lying on the kitchen table..prob later i will finish them. sigh monday blues...

bunni, have u ever realised if your breath had began to smell different? thats one good indication of ketosis.
  #146   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 07:13
Registered Member

Stats: 365/-/150 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 19%

Hello all,
Well I've been here in Singapore for two busy weeks, trying to find my way around and exploring a little. What a nice place to visit. What a hard place to low-carb..... How have you all been doing it? I've been low-carbing very well for a long time now, but in two weeks I've blown it more than any other time. The only thing saving my blood sugar is I'm having to walk a little more. Went to the wet-market in Little India on Sat ooooh, vegies were great, but didn't buy any meat, will have to continue with the grocery stores for that. Laksa is really good, but hard to leave the noodles. So many things I don't recognize, what do you all think about eating the many varietys of tofu? I'm thinking it's not too bad, but it seems most everything has sugar. And guess I've been spoiled because I can't find any caffeine free diet sodas. So have been drinking diet coke. I'll have to go thru the whole caffeine withdrawl thing again. Well it's good to be here, sorry I wasn't able to include any sugar free syrups and substitutes, they told me no food import, but then I go thru customs and no one checks at all. But better safe than sorry.. Where is Jasons? Sounds like they have good meat variety from someones post I read. I've been to Media under the Otani, really nice, but really pricey it seems. Mostly been shopping at Shop & Save but looking for ideas. Nice to be here...
Ellen
  #147   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 10:20

BF:
Progress:

i jus bought the atkins new diet revolution book from kinokuniya today!
the latest version cost 6 bucks more than the prev one!
kindof bored reading it! coz most of the info could b found on the atkins website..
i find the south beach diet book more interesting to read .. less wordy .. the recipes are definitely more delicious than atkins!
but other than that .. both are based on the same low carb premise ...

fumih .. just how bad is bad breathe?
  #148   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 03:33
Registered Member

Plan: stillman's
Stats: 125/125/94
BF:
Progress: 0%

yesterday i went off low carb! my colleagues bought mooncake and i love the sticky texture of the lotus paste. cannot resist! ahahaha. but nvm, learn from my mistake, not worth getting out of ketosis for a piece of mooncake and it didn't really taste all dat good.

bunni, the bad breath isn't all dat bad (at least mine isnt) hehe.. when i 'HAH' i know it stinks. lol. dats a good indicator for me.

Ingirl, singapore is not called a food heaven for nothing. lol. but if i were you, (not trying to stray u away from atkins) but i would maybe go off carb a little and try the good food here. like the hainaese chicken rice (jux maybe take a few mouthfuls of the rice would do), prawn noodle, char kway teow.. omg, i'm surprised when i'm typing this, my mouth isn't watering. KETOSIS, i love ya!

so how's the meeting on september? i'm all ready for it.
  #149   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 07:24

BF:

a bad sentence to say, that ultimate bad breath smells something after you deposited into the toilet bowl... hahahaha it depends on individual too...~

today i had some chicken rice....tried not to finish up the whole bowl of rice. maybe i had 1/2 bowl...

Ingirl, actually for my opinions, I think NTUC is much better than Shop N Save...btw, how are you coping with the weather here? probably for most pple, we dont like the hot n humid weather here.

I remember seeing Jasons at Orchard Paragon...around Basement 1 if i am not wrong. Ingirl, if you patronize Cold Storage supermarket esp in areas such as Orchard, City Hall...they are catered more for expatriates like you....they sell a lot of things similar to the US...those sugar free stuffs. Plaza Singapura (off Dhoby Ghaut MRT station) used to have this American Supermarket...but too bad it has closed down.

You went to Otani for an international buffet? I think hotel buffets are really pricey. except for the plaza hotel at beach road, where it costs like S$33 per person with all tax included is so far the best i found ...it serves japanese buffet with salmon sashimi!

today my colleagues were talking about this 'top of the M' at Marina Mandarin...it has all the good foods including my favourite sashimi...but it is $60 per head with taxes. shangrila hotel also cost that much but i dont like their variety...becoz i worked there before.

anyone tried genghis khan buffet at ngee ann city 5th floor? my dad heard abt its positive feedback and he's bringing my family there this wkend. heee...but to me it is not cheap as it will be S$40 per head with taxes.

anyone into dancing? recently i signed up for a intro level belly dancing course....i have always been interested to go for dance classes...but i will choose more exotic stuffs such as belly dancing and perhaps balinese dance (if anyone teach me)...

Sept....make it last wk of Sept for meal outing?
  #150   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 08:25
Registered Member

Plan: stillman's
Stats: 125/125/94
BF:
Progress: 0%

hahahaha. i kinda like dancing also but never really got into it cos scared pai seh and i not that flexible. den shake my belly? LOL. will be those 3 layer pork.

i tinking of joining pilates but nowadays not so free. i'll probably be only free at the end of september or october to really get things going again for me..

so hows the meeting of september? i should be able to make it. wad do u guys intend to do or eat?

oh ya, do u guys tink that dis thread is getting very quiet? last time like got more pple.

Last edited by debbie16 : Tue, Aug-26-03 at 08:28.