Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-14, 14:33
Registered Member

Plan: Keto + IF
Stats: 260/300/165 Male 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: -42%
Default How Does A Low Carb Diet Help With GERD?

Since going on low carb (again) my GERD is completely gone.

How does low carbing cure this?

(BTW, the Mayo Clinic website recommends acupuncture for GERD but not low carb. )
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-14, 14:55

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

I dont know the actual reasons, but mine went too! I suspect for me it was cos I was eating so much!!

Jo xxx
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-14, 16:15
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

I suspect gluten, and the massive reduction thereof on LC.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-14, 16:30

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

From Chris Kresser :

To review, heartburn and GERD are not caused by too much stomach acid. They are caused by too little stomach acid and bacterial overgrowth in the stomach and intestines. Therefore successful treatment is based on restoring adequate stomach acid production and eliminating bacterial overgrowth.
This can be accomplished by following the “three Rs” of treating heartburn and GERD naturally:
1. Reduce factors that promote bacterial overgrowth and low stomach acid.
2. Replace stomach acid, enzymes and nutrients that aid digestion and are
necessary for health.
3. Restore beneficial bacteria and a healthy mucosal lining in the gut.
REDUCE FACTORS THAT PROMOTE BACTERIAL OVERGROWTH AND LOW STOMACH ACID
A high carbohydrate diet promotes bacterial overgrowth. Bacterial overgrowth – in particular H. pylori – can suppress stomach acid. This creates a vicious cycle where bacterial overgrowth and low stomach acid reinforce each other in a continuous decline of digestive function. It follows then that a low carb diet would reduce bacterial overgrowth. "

My DH, who wasn't overweight (abdominal pressure just from being fat contributes too) cured his GERD when he stopped eating only wheat. He basically eats low carb with me, but will have ice cream with dairy and sugar, so the improvement seems to be mostly from eliminating grains.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-14, 23:35
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojoj
I dont know the actual reasons, but mine went too! I suspect for me it was cos I was eating so much!!

Jo xxx

Yeah, but I've still had some large meals after going low carb and it hasn't been the problem it was before.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-14, 23:37
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
I suspect gluten, and the massive reduction thereof on LC.

My diet has been pretty high in gluten for most of my life, but GERD only became a problem a couple years ago.

I don't think I'm sensitive to gluten, but honestly I don't know if I am or not. My hunch would be that gluten was not the issue though.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-14, 23:41
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
From Chris Kresser :

To review, heartburn and GERD are not caused by too much stomach acid. They are caused by too little stomach acid and bacterial overgrowth in the stomach and intestines. Therefore successful treatment is based on restoring adequate stomach acid production and eliminating bacterial overgrowth.
This can be accomplished by following the “three Rs” of treating heartburn and GERD naturally:
1. Reduce factors that promote bacterial overgrowth and low stomach acid.
2. Replace stomach acid, enzymes and nutrients that aid digestion and are
necessary for health.
3. Restore beneficial bacteria and a healthy mucosal lining in the gut.
REDUCE FACTORS THAT PROMOTE BACTERIAL OVERGROWTH AND LOW STOMACH ACID
A high carbohydrate diet promotes bacterial overgrowth. Bacterial overgrowth – in particular H. pylori – can suppress stomach acid. This creates a vicious cycle where bacterial overgrowth and low stomach acid reinforce each other in a continuous decline of digestive function. It follows then that a low carb diet would reduce bacterial overgrowth. "

My DH, who wasn't overweight (abdominal pressure just from being fat contributes too) cured his GERD when he stopped eating only wheat. He basically eats low carb with me, but will have ice cream with dairy and sugar, so the improvement seems to be mostly from eliminating grains.

This sounds interesting and plausible. If it's true, it also means that maybe the TUMS weren't really helping.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-14, 03:08

You're right, the Tums and the PPIs actually make the problem of low stomach acid worse. Why some people get relief from heartburn by taking vinegar, not acid reducers. I took that Kresser quote from his free 32 page eBook on GERD from his website, just need to sign up for email list, which is good anyway. If just giving up grains and sugar doesn't reduce your SIBO and low acid and stop the GERD completely, he has other steps to take, e.g. Probiotics, various supportive foods, etc. to restore intestinal health. We did these while at the same time reducing my DH's dose of PPIs until off the meds, inc. Tums.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-14, 21:28
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
You're right, the Tums and the PPIs actually make the problem of low stomach acid worse. Why some people get relief from heartburn by taking vinegar, not acid reducers. I took that Kresser quote from his free 32 page eBook on GERD from his website, just need to sign up for email list, which is good anyway. If just giving up grains and sugar doesn't reduce your SIBO and low acid and stop the GERD completely, he has other steps to take, e.g. Probiotics, various supportive foods, etc. to restore intestinal health. We did these while at the same time reducing my DH's dose of PPIs until off the meds, inc. Tums.

I had never heard of taking vinegar before. If I ever need to again, I'll try it instead of TUMS.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-14, 22:07
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

While I know that a lot of people have found that apple cider vinegar has helped their acid reflux, it did not help mine at all. Quite the opposite!
I don't mean to play devil's advocate here, but I do feel it only fair to give my experience. The vinegar simply burns. So much so that I had to drink what seemed like gallons of water to flush the pain away.
The only thing that has helped my reflux has been eating low carb plus PPIs. Must make another attempt at weaning off the PPI again soon...
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-14, 02:05

I can imagine it would burn if anyone already has damage to esphogus, more for mild occasional heartburn. We didn't use Vinegar for my DH either, There are other home remedies to use in conjunction with 1. Most important removing all grains from diet 2. Cutting down PPIs very slowly (rebound effect if just try to stop it cold). Things like DGL (deglycyrrhizinated licorice), aloe juice, probiotics, digestive enzymes, almonds, etc. http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2013...tural-products/. This same website has many reader comments about PPIs and rebound. Heartburn is a frequent question over the years.
But Chris Kresser's ebook has remedies that seem to have more scientific backing, than folk lore.

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Jul-31-14 at 02:15.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-14, 08:02

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud
While I know that a lot of people have found that apple cider vinegar has helped their acid reflux, it did not help mine at all. Quite the opposite!
I don't mean to play devil's advocate here, but I do feel it only fair to give my experience. The vinegar simply burns. So much so that I had to drink what seemed like gallons of water to flush the pain away.
The only thing that has helped my reflux has been eating low carb plus PPIs. Must make another attempt at weaning off the PPI again soon...
The rule is if vinegar eases acid reflux, then you have too little stomach acid. If it burns, you have too much stomach acid. It doesn't burn me and I was diagnosed with too little acid.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-14, 08:03
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyHW
My diet has been pretty high in gluten for most of my life, but GERD only became a problem a couple years ago.

I don't think I'm sensitive to gluten, but honestly I don't know if I am or not. My hunch would be that gluten was not the issue though.

It can take years or decades for food intolerances to show up. I know of lots of folks that got rid of GERD by going gluten free.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-14, 20:11
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAnn
The rule is if vinegar eases acid reflux, then you have too little stomach acid. If it burns, you have too much stomach acid. It doesn't burn me and I was diagnosed with too little acid.

Exactly. I was just making the point that not everyone has too little stomach acid. And despite still needing a PPI, my reflux is still miles better on low carb.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, May-06-15, 08:55

A new theory on Heartburn:

http://chriskresser.com/is-heartbur...eaky-esophagus/

Partial Quote:

Quote:

One theory gaining traction in the scientific community to describe this phenomenon is the idea of impaired epithelial barrier function. In other words – GERD might be a result of “leaky esophagus.”

What is “leaky esophagus”?
You’ve probably heard of “leaky gut” before. Cells in the epithelial lining of the intestine are held together by tight junctions, and if these tight junctions are disrupted, particles that wouldn’t normally be absorbed make their way through the lining of the intestine and into the bloodstream. This can cause a host of problems, from food allergies to autoimmunity and more.

“Leaky esophagus” is a similar concept. It’s actually normal for acid and stomach contents to reflux into the esophagus occasionally. (5) In a healthy esophagus, this acid can’t penetrate the cell membrane of the epithelial cells, and tight junctions prevent it from getting in between the cells.