Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, May-22-15, 04:17

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
Yeah, you are right about it being random. Three of my allergens have definitely developed with elimination and reintroductions - went from mild intestinal discomfort to throat to Epi moments, so I think I'm particularly susceptible to that pathway to sensitization. I don't have oral allergy syndrome so my allergies are not as dependent on pollen and cross-reactivity as those with OAS but thanks for the list.

Cross reactivity applies within the "families" of fruits and veggies and nuts for anaphylactic reactions too, not just Oral Allergy. If you have an almond allergy, you could be sensitive to the proteins in other foods in that section. After being tested and warned I had allergy to tomatoes and peas, I denied it, continued to eat them with no problem, until the day it wasn't....ate a different variety of tomato imported from Mexico and it was an EpiPen event. After a few years off, I am back to eating tomatoes with no problem (but not peanuts or peas). If you can determine your food allergies through elimination that seems a very beneficial thing, avoiding low levels of inflammation/gut irritation in the future.

Who fan, if it was only your throat and mouth area it may be Oral Allergy Syndrome, and those are even more random than true food allergies, where you would also have hives all over your body, eyes and lips inflamed and swollen, can't see, can't breathe, etc.

Kiwi=Birch family. Wash it well before you peel it so no pollen is left on your hands and try a small bite if you ever want to find out. http://acaai.org/allergies/types/fo...llergy-syndrome

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, May-22-15 at 05:58.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, May-22-15, 08:47

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100

Who fan, if it was only your throat and mouth area it may be Oral Allergy Syndrome, and those are even more random than true food allergies, where you would also have hives all over your body, eyes and lips inflamed and swollen, can't see, can't breathe, etc.
[/url]

I actually am skeptical of this, only because, in adults, oral symptoms are much more common than hives, vomiting, etc than in children who tend to exhibit skin and gastro symptoms more. I didn't realize that for a long time and thought my allergies were "mild" even though my airway was completely cut off and I was losing consciousness. I have since developed other symptoms sometimes (vomiting, hives, nausea) but my worst reactions have involved tongue and throat swelling only. My understanding of oral allergy syndrome is that it is very specifically related to fruits and vegetables, rarely anaphylactic, and is "mutable", meaning it can come and go with the seasons, be outgrown since responses to pollen can change over time and is sometimes remedied by cooking the foods. It seems very different.