Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-05-12, 08:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 216/186/140 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default Keratosis Pilaris - caused by Gluten?

I'm now six weeks into LCing and feel amazing. In addition to losing weight, I'm noticing that a skin condition I've had since around puberty is amazingly going away.

At 12 years old I noticed these little red bumps popping up all over my thighs and on the backs of my arms. I was having severe symptoms of IBS at the time, and was seeing a doctor regularly. My Mom took me in to have the doc check it out. She thought, at the time that it may be some sort of allergic reaction. The doctor diagnosed it as a common and largely untreatable skin condition called Keratosis Pilaris. He recommended exfoliation and moisturization, and said I could use prescription creams if I wanted. I took the prescription - I was 12 and would do anything to not have this all over my body. But within 6 months my skin became resistant to the creams and no matter how much I used, the bumps kept coming.

As I grew older I became more accepting of myself and just lived with it. But, yesterday I noticed that the backs of my upper arms are completely bump free, and my thighs have started to clear up as well. I'm beginning to think that the KP may be (at least in me) caused by gluten - a reaction to my gluten intolerance (that I never knew I had until 2 weeks ago). Which in essence would mean my mom was on the right track when she thought it may be an allergic reaction.

Does anyone else have KP, and has it improved with LCing? If not, does anyone have more knowledge about it? I've read lots of conflicting things online.....
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-05-12, 08:59

Plan: <50g a day, gluten-free
Stats: 202.8/180.6/145 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hey that's great! I had this condition (just on the back of my upper arms) also more or less since puberty. I remember it being particularly bad around the time I was finishing up undergrad, which was also when I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's.

I wish I had been paying closer attention to when the rough patches went away! I don't have them anymore, but can't say if it's because of cutting out gluten (which I grow more and more disgusted by with each passing day), or adding thyroid meds, or what. Either way, isn't it nice to wear a t-shirt or tank top and not have to worry about gross ruddy arms? Yay!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-05-12, 09:21
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I've heard of other people saying that, too. It might be gluten or possibly highish blood sugars.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-05-12, 09:51

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Most definitely! I had KP on my arms only, and it was about 3 months later when starting to apply more skin cream in winter, it hit me that it was totally gone. What cleared up even sooner was eczema on my hands, and I had eczema since I was an infant! Different places over the years, but usually had some patches somewhere. After about a month of low carb, it was gone, never to return. I think it was the gluten (esp, after reading Wheat Belly), because the four years previous I was pretty much a sugar free vegetarian.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-05-12, 10:38

Plan: LC Paleo
Stats: 211/177/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 48%

I have it on my upper arms, and it has improved somewhat but not gone away. Still holding on to the hope that it will continue to improve. However, my face is clearer than it has ever been!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-18-15, 08:41

Plan: atkins diet
Stats: 118/110/100 Female 5
BF:
Progress:
Default Low Carbing Helps

I agree, it maybe is gluten that caused your KP. I am keeping Atkins diet right now to avoid too much carb in my diet. I wasn't sure about gluten being a KP trigger in the past, but I have heard from a lot of people telling me about it being the cause of their flare-up. Just like you I am having a teamed up treatment program, ATKINS plus Cream called SR Lotion. I have managed my KP very well through low-carbing and exfoliating-moisturizing it everyday with SR Lotion.