Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1111   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-19, 09:31

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Edit: Appears teaser and I were typing at same time. Ditto everything teaser wrote!

Brandy,
Somewhere (and I'll never be able to find this) but related to Dave Feldman's work on Cholesterol as an energy transport system in this forum: https://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=48 When I Fasted about 24 hours before the blood draw, results were my highest LDL-C and total ever. Not horrid by what I know about cholesterol, but out of range. My advice is before the draw, do as directions ask. If it says fast 12-14 hours...do it, or you risk falling out of "Normal Lab Ranges" which means nothing for a low carb eater, but why go through the hassle?

For a really short version of cholesterol, read Uffe's "Cholesterol is our Best Friend" at above link. Longer version Nina Teicholz interview.

Second Edit: Standard Comprehensive blood panel in the US does not include ketones. If yours does, just note you eat low carb. Dr. Westman always questions these "normal lab values" that are based on carb eaters for those of us not. https://www.facebook.com/AdaptYourL...82593915316501/
There may even be differences in your lab ranges which I assume are based on Japanese people eating the typical Japenese diet??

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Jan-13-19 at 11:08.
Sponsored Links
  #1112   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-19, 10:18

Nice!

Free weight loss resources from IDM
https://www.dietdoctor.com/free-wei...ources-from-idm

Quote:
Happy New Year to everybody! I took a couple of weeks off from the blog to spend with family and friends. I ate more than I should have, and definitely ate many things better left on the table. Now, like everybody else, I’m looking to lose some of those holiday pounds. This happens every year, but luckily I plan for it, and will increase the amount of fasting I do to compensate for those dietary indiscretions. For me, fasting is not particularly difficult, but for those new to fasting or low carb diets, it can be a daunting task.

We’ve developed these resources over the course of the last year, but released them mostly towards the end of 2018, so many of you may not be familiar with them. The most important components for weight loss, in my opinion are to have the proper knowledge, and then be part of a community that encourages you to follow through. In many cases, people don’t understand fasting and even if they do, they are surrounded by people who sabotage their progress. So the most important part of starting on the road to using fasting for weight loss is education and being part of a community that supports you. Luckily, the IDM program has free resources to help you.

12-week introduction to fasting email course
The idea of this course is to provide some basic information about fasting and how it can help with weight loss. You simply sign up on our home page, and you will receive a weekly email that provides some basic education. The topics covered include:

Fasting history
Fasting vs calorie restriction
Physiology
Fasting and weight loss 1
Fasting and weight loss 2
Autophagy
Fasting and muscle loss
Growth hormone
Exercise
Fasting and cholesterol
The #1 rule of fasting
Fasting regimens
This gives a very brief overview of topics and you are then free to explore the rest of our free blog for more related topics on fasting. You simply need an email address to sign up for our free introductory email course on the home page of the IDM program website.

For this reason, the Intensive Dietary Management (IDM) Program, run by myself and Megan Ramos provide a number of educational programs that can help with fasting. There are paid programs but also a number of free programs that I encourage you to take advantage of. In this post, I’ll highlight some free resources that I think can be very useful. You can sign up for both the 12-week introductory fasting program and the fasting community (Facebook) right from the home page of www.IDMprogram.com.

The second important component of weight loss is to find a supportive community. For that, we’ve put together a free Facebook Fasting support group called ‘The Obesity Code Network’ Anybody and everybody is free to join. Facebook is kind of a Wild West sort of place, but our moderators hopefully make it a little more inviting and supporting.

Podcast
Starch structureFinally, check out the new Low Carb MD podcast with Drs. Brian Lenzkes and Tro. This podcast, will feature both myself and Megan on a regular basis to discuss clinical aspects of fasting and practical tips to help you along the way. Megan is scheduled to be on once a week to answer questions about fasting.

IDM Physician’s Network
If you need a physician to oversee, check out our IDM Physician’s Network which lists doctors that support the therapeutic use of fasting.

Best of luck to everybody!
  #1113   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-19, 10:30

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Brandy, here's a link in case it helps:

How to Lower Your Cholesterol Fast in Time for Blood Tests

And it sounds like it might not mess you up in other ways. What a minefield seeking medical help can be.

For instance, I would up getting a medical ID bracelet because I'm gluten free, and doctors of my acquaintance recommended it. When I think of how accidental glutening makes my stomach feel, and multiplying that throughout my body - YIKES! I ordered it the next day. (Lauren's Hope has the prettiest ones, IMHO.)

Another illustration is last week's extreme autoimmune flare crisis. I know from past attempts to get medical help they would only do things that remove symptoms in the short-term, in exchange for bigger problems in the long-term. So I did my own research and decided to go Keto instead. Working so far!

Last edited by WereBear : Sun, Jan-13-19 at 10:43.
  #1114   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-19, 23:29

Plan: Atkins & IF
Stats: 260/213/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Great resources!! Thank you! And like I mentioned, my glucose and cholesterol has been stellar, but if that were to change, my doctor would freak. 😂
  #1115   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-19, 04:58

A top trending story on my news feed this morning:

Fasting diets are going mainstream — ahead of the science. Here’s why.
Some people lose weight fasting but many others can’t stick to it.

By Julia Belluz in Vox

Long article, leans heavily on Dr Valter Longo's work, balanced, though conclusion that it works ..if you can stick to it, rather obvious no mention of combining it with very low carb diets to make the "sticking" part easier.

https://www.vox.com/2019/1/14/18177...t-fasting-diets

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Jan-15-19 at 06:22.
  #1116   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-19, 07:43

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Well duh, the ones who can’t stick to it won’t lose weight!
  #1117   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-19, 08:31

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Given that a common claim made for fasting is that it will be easier to stick to, that is sort of a valid caveat, though. Sure, anything works better if you do it than if you don't do it. Using people randomly assigned to Longo's style of fasting isn't really generalizable to other forms of fasting. Especially when they're not being controlled to another restricted style of eating, the control there was people eating whatever they bloody well pleased, and still ten percent dropped out.

Some things are difficult to look at by scientific method. Randomization is a good thing--but how then do you study the effect of self-selection of a plan on individual adherence?
  #1118   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-19, 08:34

ooohhh... a new book by Dr. Fung and Dr. Salt Fix, Dr. James DiNicolantonio

The Longevity Solution

https://www.amazon.com/Longevity-So...g/dp/1628603798

Quote:
Getting older doesn’t have to mean experiencing more pain and illness, becoming less mobile, or developing disease. Renowned cardiovascular research scientist and doctor of pharmacy Dr. James DiNicolantonio partners with leading physician and bestselling author Dr. Jason Fung to deliver The Longevity Solution, a groundbreaking new book that unlocks the secrets of healthy aging. Using evidence drawn from their years of medical research and clinical practice, Dr. DiNicolantonio and Dr. Fung lay out five simple, easy-to-follow steps you can take now for a longer, fuller, healthier life.

The Longevity Solution explains how to incorporate time-honored wellness traditions while doing away with fads, unnecessary supplements, and unsubstantiated wellness practices. It investigates the dietary habits and other practices of the healthiest, longest-lived humans on the planet, who live in regions known as Blue Zones, as a model for what and how we should eat. It teaches the benefits of intermittent fasting and calorie restriction, which have been shown to slow the aging process, while consuming proper ratios of protein and healthy fats. It also looks at how red wine, tea, and coffee play key roles in optimizing health and why salt is an ally, not an enemy, in the longevity equation.

In this comprehensive guide, Dr. DiNicolantonio and Dr. Fung unveil cutting-edge science in an approachable format that is easy to understand and can be put into practice immediately. Simple dietary changes can help you break the cycle of carbohydrate dependence, kick your metabolism into high gear, and jump-start your longevity genes. The Longevity Solution puts healthy aging back in your control!
  #1119   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-19, 09:08

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

^ Thanks Janet! Put in my request for our library to purchase.

#1120   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-19, 09:30

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releas...90129124800.htm

Might seem a slight stretch putting this here, but maybe not. They're going after the idea from Newcastle etc. that a sort of short-term modified fast reverses diabetes more reliably than "slow and steady."

Quote:
Faster weight loss no better than slow weight loss for health benefits

Losing weight slowly or quickly won't tip the scale in your favour when it comes to overall health, according to new research. Health researchers at York University found that people who lose weight quickly versus those who lose it slowly don't get any additional health benefits and it's the amount of weight lost overall that can have an impact.

In the study led by Jennifer Kuk, associate professor in York University's Faculty of Health, researchers looked at the data of over 11,000 patients at a publicly-funded clinical weight management program and found that those who lost weight quickly had similar improvements in metabolic health with those who lost weight slowly. Moreover, the rate of weight loss matters less for overall health benefits than the amount of weight you lose.

Normally, individuals are recommended to lose weight at one to two pounds per week, as faster weight loss is related with a slightly higher risk for gallstones. However, there are reasons to believe that faster weight loss may have better effects for cardiovascular disease and diabetes risk factors.

The study is the first study of its kind to look specifically at risk factors for cardiovascular health and diabetes.

"With the same pound for pound weight loss, there is no difference in terms of health benefits if you lose weight fast or slow," says Kuk. "However, given the risk for gallstones with faster weight loss, trying to lose weight at the recommended one to two pounds per week is the safer option."

The study looked at 11,283 patients who attended the Wharton Medical Clinic Weight Management Program between July 2008 and July 2017. Researchers found that patients who lost weight more quickly tended to have a bigger reduction in obesity and better health improvements than patients who lost weight slowly. However, these improvements in health associated with faster weight loss were abolished after adjusting for absolute weight loss.

"The results show that we really need to look at interventions that focus on long-term weight management that can achieve sustained weight loss at the recommended one to two pounds per week," says Kuk.

An important caveat, even if you take things as they want you to--weight loss being equal, benefits were the same. Except blood pressure, that still improved more with the faster weight loss. Weight loss itself--quicker weight loss only resulted in greater benefits when it resulted in greater overall weight loss. Something that might be true if you accept all this, is that quicker weight loss resulted in greater weight than slow and steady.

I suspect something again slightly different. Suppose I eat 2500 calories a day, and am in maintenance at that intake. Now, I eat in such a way that my appetite is satisfied at 2300 calories a day. Pretending that all else is equal--I'll slowly lose weight, until I hit a slightly lower weight, a new equilibrium. A plateau is just an unplanned maintenance here.

Or I eat in a way where my appetite is satisfied at 2000 calories. I'll experience more rapid weight loss--and the new equilibrium is reached at a lower body weight than in the first scenario.

Suppose I experience more metabolic benefits in the second scenario. And someone comes along and says, yeah, well, it's because you lost more weight. Well that's fine, but the first scenario doesn't actually get me there. Sorry if what I'm illustrating here seems too obvious, but if professional obesity researchers don't get this, maybe it's not as obvious as it seems.
  #1121   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-19, 12:02

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Losing weight slowly or quickly won't tip the scale in your favour when it comes to overall health, according to new research. Health researchers at York University found that people who lose weight quickly versus those who lose it slowly don't get any additional health benefits and it's the amount of weight lost overall that can have an impact.

Possibly, this is true when you look at the end result, but you do get some of the benefits more quickly--lower blood pressure, less stress on joints, etc., and I think there's an argument to me made that this is an "additional" benefit. Not to mention the motivational benefit of rapid results--dieters may be more likely to keep going when they see what they're doing is having an effect, and for CICO dieters, that they will not have to endure the struggle for as long, so they're likely to summon the will-power to continue. So they may be more likely to get to a healthy weight than someone on a long slog.

Dr. Fung and Megan Ramos have said that sometimes when a patient presents in their clinic in an extreme health crisis, they will immediately start that patient on extended fasts to rapidly respond to their situation. Though the goal there is rapid metabolic repair not necessarily rapid weight loss--the patient isn't getting health benefits of weight loss, but rather getting the health benefits of metabolic repair, one of which is weight loss.
  #1122   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-19, 06:03

Hi CityGirl, how are you doing back on PP? Adding fasting now? Did you recently find the Dr Fung/secret fasting thread? The resources he freely shares are so helpful even without diabetes.
  #1123   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-19, 12:14

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Hi CityGirl, how are you doing back on PP? Adding fasting now? Did you recently find the Dr Fung/secret fasting thread? The resources he freely shares are so helpful even without diabetes.

Hi! Yes, I found the secret thread when I was searching the forum. I'm experimenting with some IF. I've always tended to be a breakfast skipper (at least until 10:30 or 11:00); when I'm really focused on eating right, I've always made myself eat breakfast, because I thought I was supposed to.

Anyway, I started doing 16:8 a week or so ago and I'm going to start throwing in some 24s. I'm working from home these days, but typically when I've been in an office occasionally I'd miss breakfast and be too busy for lunch, so I'd only eat dinner. I remember that not killing me. My plan is to try some 36- or 40-hour fasts, eventually. I don't see the appeal or benefit for me right now of doing any extended fasts, but who knows?

My goals or the benefits I see for me (as a 'woman of a certain age') are boosting human growth hormone and collagen, autophagy, and boosting weight loss. In the past, if I lost a pound a week it was a celebration, so I'd like to see if this helps keep things ticking along above 1.5 lbs. a week. I also have a long history of diabetes in my family. Although I generally eat a low-ish carb diet (even when I'm not truly eating on plan), my glucose tests have all been around 97-99 the last few years with and A1C of 5.5 (and estimated average glucose of 111), so I'm just staving off pre-diabetes. God knows what it would be if I ate a traditional SAD.
  #1124   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-19, 15:21

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I have mixed feelings about skipping meals. When I weighed the most is when I skipped breakfast. When I began eating breakfast of eggs and all meat sausage or bacon is when the weight was just falling off left and right. I literally lost 30 lbs in 6 weeks.
  #1125   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-19, 07:16

I now consider an extended fast of 3-5 days as something to do once a year for the possibility of autophagy, as a cancer survivor, but not particularly helpful for weight loss. The Obesity Code FB Page has lately been focusing on the benefits of alternating 36-42 hour fasts, basically not to get in a rut of OMAD, which can morph into a type of continuous calorie restriction. This recent interview with Megan was good explaining that extended fasts were saved for dire medical situations, more but shorter fasts are advised for weight loss. But fasting is so flexible, do what comes to you naturally. https://www.dietdoctor.com/diet-doc...t-7-megan-ramos