Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-19, 12:58

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%
Default Wake up Call- are our Children too fat???

THis really scared me. As a mom of 2 teens, this drove home the childhood obesity issue--- kidney's are damaged LONG before reaching middle age. My kids are trim BUT is that enough ???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPMaJONLXH8
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-13-19, 10:32

Plan: Atkins/General LC
Stats: 240.0/167.2/155 Female 5 '9"
BF:36/29.5/25
Progress: 86%

*disclaimer* Not yet watched vid. (Can't have sound right now, so waiting.)

I'm a mom of 2. The youngest inherited the "skinny genes" from my grandfather/mother/cousins. She's long and lean, and athletic (ballet dancer), like all of them.

My firstborn inherited the "diabetic genes": Always a little chunkier, less inclined to exercise.

These are 2 distinct types in my family tree, and I've seen them over and over.

SO....

I talk with my kids. When the firstborn started needing "husky" sizes, we discussed their genetic heritage, and the ugly realities of what living with diabetes meant... and that weight gain (particularly OUR type of weight-gain) would help cause that.

We talk about food all the time. Bread? Potatoes? Noodles? Corn & other starches? No nutritional value. Meat? Veggies? #1 nutritional priority, and a good way to stop being hungry.

I don't limit their food, but I encourage good choices. If we go out, YES, they can have pancakes if they really want them.... BUT. They have to order and eat enough fat and protein FIRST. Because otherwise, they'll be tired, grumpy, and sick-feeling in an hour, and the whole world will be treating them terribly. (ie: their blood sugar will have bottomed out.)

They don't drink milk or soda, juice only occasionally. My eldest likes iced (not sweet -- ew!) tea once in a while. My youngest will ONLY drink water unless she has a sore throat. (Then, pineapple juice is a special treat.)

I don't condemn "fat".... but I do point out things like genetic tendencies and body-shape warning signs of developing disease, and try to teach how to AVOID those long-term consequences. Belly-fat = diabetes risk... and the fact that I was diagnosed this fall brings that risk home.

Recently, the kids & I were traveling for the better part of a week... and I made sure they ate regularly, but wasn't eating myself. (Fasted from Sunday evening - Thursday morning.) I simply wasn't hungry. (I drank like a camel, mind you... but food didn't even sound good to me.)

My eldest teen couldn't conceive of this, so we discussed the biochemistry behind it, and they became more determined than ever to try to eat like me, simply over the concept of not being hungry.

(And when I did become hungry, on Thursday morning, I ate, and the kids saw that, too. I was hungry all day on Thursday, so ate meals "like a normal person". (Meaning 3 meals total, instead of my usual meal-and-maybe-a-snack)

I set an example, I talk about what I do and why, and I encourage my kids to consider their HEALTH (not their weight)
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-13-19, 13:11

BF:

A mom in the same boat as I am. The one caveat is that "skinny" in no way equates to healthy.

We are trying to eliminate all wheat products again. School vaca week is a good time to trial low carb sweets, low carb meat pies, lc icecreams. All those things that hiccup a low carb diet.

Keep up the good work.....we are teaching the next generation how to eat better.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-13-19, 21:37

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Speaking as a former fat kid myself, I don't think there was any lack of awareness by those around me that I was overweight. I got all the extra attention from the doctors, dietitians, PE teachers and everybody else throughout my youth. I got plenty of advice. The problem was just that the advice itself was all wrong.

So it's all very well for anyone to want to highlight the dangers of obesity and insulin resistance in general, but I don't think that's the real issue. Everybody "knows" that this a problem, the real issue in my view is that not everybody "knows" the solution, least of all our respective policymakers.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-14-19, 02:51

Plan: LCHF, no breakfast.
Stats: 256/178/140 Female 5ft 3"
BF:
Progress: 67%

My boys are little, oldest is nearly 5. I talk to him/them about healthy eating, growing and nutritious food versus cheap food that fills you up but won’t make you healthy or grow. He gets ice cream and pizza occasionally, and lots of his meals are sans bread/carbs. I’m not as anti carb as I used to be, so oats, rice, fruit I think are ok, but processed food is limited to meals out, parties, etc.

Is it enough? I ask myself every week. Probably, just.
I’ve been aware of Western A Price work for years and note with interest that DS1 has the distinctive wide facial structure promised by their followers.
He’s tough with regard to pain, cold, illness and currently has perfect teeth, which is also noted by WAP in children brought up on traditional diets. He might be a touch chunkier than I’d like, but is also very strong and enjoys movement, exploring, etc,. It’s probably enough.

Of all the families I know, only one is stricter, they follow a low meat/unprocessed, crunchy, organic lifestyle, the children are always ill with colds and skinny, narrow faces. This is what I see in other families who ‘try’ with baking their own bread, using pulses instead of meats and drink alternative milks. Lots of overlapping teeth.

Most children here seem fairly unhealthy to me. I genuinely worry about the health of the nation, children and the next generation.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-14-19, 06:56

BF:

About a year ago, I stumbled across Weston Price . Then every tv program visiting tribal groups I looked for thier smiles and teeth. Gobsmacked! Big beautiful straight aligned teeth YET never seen a dentist. Then I found Dr Lin's book The Dental Diet.

My frustration is that despite my efforts early in my babies lives, the medical field worked against me. With tongue tie, no fix until 6 mo old for one and two years for the other. Proper breast feeding was not possible and the lack of that physical experience for a baby's jaw and airway can never be replaced. And there was push at the hospital to feed formula. And later, jaundice developed and skin rashes yet pediatrician couldnot tell me why. It was the formula!!

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Sun, Apr-14-19 at 09:21.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-14-19, 07:47

BF:

It’s horrible the traps. I struggled to feed first with his tongue tie for about a month before it was picked up. Second I saw had it at birth and tried to refuse to leave hospital but since they’d already done some top up formula feeding were happy to send us home because we knew he’d take formula if bs didn’t work out. I moaned and cried on the phone to all of them and got it snipped a few days later.

I asked for frozen donor breast milk top up feed instead of formula but they said, no, it was only for prem babies. My friend worked on the ward and said the donor breast milk almost never gets used at all and just gets thrown out after a few months in the freezer. :-(

DS2 is full of food allergies, gets ill and barely grew for 8 months. I’m still bf him, he’s over 2. I’m scared to stop in case his symptoms return.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-14-19, 09:32

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

It's tough as SAD is pervasive and has become an accepted way of life in most developed countries. That means processed convenience foods are now the "go tos" in the mainstream, and it means children have unhealthy foods served to them and available at every corner. Pizza, ice cream, sweet yogurt, and soda are now normal and frequently consumed during the course of a typical week for children and adults. Parents must become aware, knowledgeable, and authoritatively assume the unenviable position to be food police for their children, as the abundance of unhealthy food choices is so pervasive, unusual controls must be taken. When the children become teenagers, good luck! They make their own choices based on what they've learned and how they've consumed to that point. The new normal.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-14-19, 09:34

BF:

You dont need to stop feeding him. I know of two children that continued until 3-4 years old.

Can u find a support group for breast feeding?? Bet they could advise you.

Can u do some research on introducing foods?? As I remember we are supposed to intro only one food at a time. ANd look for reactions.

Also a delay in exposure to peanut butter causes MORE peanut allergies in the population. You can check, the age maybe back to 2 years old. Also I probably ate peanut butter while I was "breast feeding."

Dairy cattle have a protein that is very close to a protein in the human pancreas that makes insulin. An auto immune reaction causes our body to attack the dairy protein AND the protein in the pancreas. Killing it and resulting in T1D. Research goat milk as a substitute.

My kids did not get much cows milk after about age 10. BUT dropping milk caused problems. IT was the primary source of Vitamin D !! There is a new product on the market, A2 milk, that might avoid the insulin- killing problems of standard Holstein milk.

Keep up the battle fighting for better health for your child!! Im with you!!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Apr-14-19, 11:45

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I once new a lady with 2 girls. She had them eating a low fat diet their whole lives and when they were about 4 and 7 I touched one of their heads, patting it and was horrified to feel nothing but cranial bone, no fat on their heads whatsoever. They were both skinny and frail and lethargic too.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Apr-14-19, 12:29

BF:

He’s allergic to dairy, eggs, nuts, corn, gluten and soya. And all derivatives which is just about all additives, preservatives, etc,. He can’t even take most medicines as they contain sweeteners and stuff.

He eats meat, fish, veg, legumes, rice, gf oats and fruit, olive oil and coconut oil. A good diet. But limiting.

I’ve reintroduced A2 raw milk to my diet this week and he’s ok with this. Previously he reacted to my milk if I ate even tiny traces.
He can drink raw camel milk but he doesn’t like it much and costs a fortune!
In the last few weeks I’ve tried goats cheese on his skin and he hasn’t reacted, so planning a trial soon.
Think we’ll leave egg , corn and gluten for a year or two yet.

Nuts: he had a fully anaphylactic reaction to cashew nut milk so I ruled out all nuts from both our diets. But I’m close to having another go with some unrelated nuts, need to look up the charts again. I had eaten lots of different nuts prior to stopping them.

Thanks for your suggestions. I’ll just keep feeding him till something stops us, people routinely ask when I’ll stop now, even dentist and dr, health visitor are surprised when I tell them. I feel awkward feeding in public, but don’t care much. It’s been a fight to get him this far, watching he never picks up a dropped crumb or wrapper which will make him ill, don’t care what other people think or say.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Apr-14-19, 13:16

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

One of my DDs is allergic to eggs but it's only the whites which is albumin. She can eat the yolk.
She is also allergic to tree nuts but can have peanuts which is a legume.
Have you tried goats milk?
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Apr-14-19, 19:39

BF:

Allergues are a funny thing. And combine that with a young immune system....that creates challenges.

One of the best things is to let kids play in garden dirt. None that dogs and cats can access. It develops the immune system. My boys were always in the dirt. Lol

My brother developed a nut allergy as an adult. Some nuts are more related than others, who knew, so he had a list he could eat and a second list that made his tongue tingly. Then suddenly a few years later he was fine to eat all nuts.

My kids got nuts rarely, more of a choking hazard. But i think dr atkins idea of now and then not a daily fare is spot on.

Imho your milk is a better choice, cheaper and the right species.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Apr-14-19, 19:50

BF:

Imo kids should be fat enough to have reserves if they get sick and dont feel like eating for a few days.

My kids can eat! Including fats!! I used to make a pile of homemade minute dinners. Bake up a dozen chicken thighs, pack into square tuperware. Add frozen mixed vegies and a scoop of mashed piratoes. Put on lid and into freezer.

Great to pull out when a tired mom is too tired to cook. Pop out onto china plate and microwave.

My kids drank whole milk, and still do if tgey get milk. I hated that sweetened chocolate milk was an option so i stopped paying for milk at school.Imho milk is over rated.

Many kids have limited food options but if meat is doable, that is a real plus!
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Apr-15-19, 02:03

BF:

We live on a farm, I got goats because of the negative relationship between them and asthma/allergies and children. There’s a lot of mud, dirt, I don’t clean much, don’t really use chemicals. Since I realised DS1 was developing allergies have been stroking all animals and dirt and putting it on his face and mouth to develop him. I let them drink out of streams (not in the summer) and eat soil and chew sticks or whatever they want to do.

I know this all sounds extreme, but So far, none of this has led to illness whereas visiting nursery, soft play centres, cafes or people kissing him has. DS1 used to drink the most horrendous filthy, muddy water (before I could get to him to stop him!) and never got ill from any of this. Obviously I don’t let him do this anymore! He’s never has sickness or diarrhoea.

So I don’t really believe dirt is problematic and am already cross with the system which says wash hands or use antibacterial gel after stroking pets or playing outside.

DS2 was floored with antibiotics when he was tiny, this and his vaccinations which came when he wasn’t thriving, I believe ruined his immune system. I do what I can. I’ll try goat milk soon, but a trial comes with such a big risk it takes a long time for me to work up to it. It could be fine, or mean a bit of a rash and an upset tummy or an emergency ambulance to hospital and weeks of vomiting, diarrhoea and sleepless nights.