Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Quick Meals & Snacks
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-02, 11:42
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile Tuna or Salmon Patties

Tired of bacon and eggs for breakfast? Bored with sliced chicken breast on salad greens for lunch? Limited budget?
Try:
  • Tuna (or Salmon) Patties

1 can tuna or salmon (6 - 7 oz/ 170 - 200g)
    1 egg, lightly beaten
    1 Tbsp each butter and olive oil for frying
    optionals:
    minced green onion (scallion), celery, bell pepper etc
    fresh or dried herbs - dillweed, parsley, fennel etc

• Mash the fish, then stir in the beaten egg and desired seasonings.
  • Heat fat in skillet over medium to medium-high till bubbly. Drop the fish-egg mixture from a large spoon to make mounds ... press them flat with the back of the spoon. Use a large pancake lifter to gently turn the patties over when golden brown underneath. Brown the other side, then serve hot ... or cold.
  • for the whole recipe:

Tuna patties (using water-pack light tuna): 431 cal, 31g fat, 1g carb, 34g prot.

Salmon patties (using sockeye red salmon): 622 cal, 50g fat, 1g carb, 40g prot.

** Note** .. the nutrient counts may vary depending on the type of fish used, and if seasonings are added.
These are awesome with the low carb "HomeFries / Hash Browns" recipe I posted in the Breakfast Ideas section, in the Kitchen forum ( click here ). Those are made with radishes, and so good, they taste BETTER than the potato version.

For garnishing, I like to use flavoured mayonnaise ... Add some chopped capers, olives or dill pickle, dijon mustard or prepared horseradish to a couple Tbsp mayo.

Enjoy!

Doreen
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-02, 11:45
Forum Founder

BF:
Lightbulb

The fish-egg mixture is very soft, unlike ground meat which you can shape with your hands. The secret for keeping the patties from falling apart is to use lots of fat. Resist the urge to only put a dot of oil in the pan. Truthfully, using olive oil alone will work fine ... I just happen to like the taste of butter. However, using butter alone increases the risk of burning.

I made tuna patties one time with an egg plus 2 Tbsp mayonnaise, and one can of tuna (plus seasonings) ... it was more like a batter, but they fried up nicely, good flavour and moistness. Soft in the middle and crisp on the outside.

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-02, 11:48

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 220/205/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

this really sounds good and no filler to hold it together.

Can't wait to try it!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-02, 11:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Smile I will try these..

I'm so silly sometimes...
...I never would have thought to try these cold. I'm sure they would be delish. I like lots of foods cold, and you're right Doreen, this would be a nice way to shake up the morning menu.

Thanks!

Donald
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-02, 12:07

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

Thank you for posting this, Doreen! I just made them for lunch -- not sure about them cold, but hot, they were wonderful! (I added a bit of celery.)

Anything is better with butter.

Just curious -- why sockeye salmon? (I'm ignorant of kinds of salmon. I've only bought filets -- it's the only fish I'm brave enough to cook -- and I have a choice between Icelandic and something else. I get the Icelandic )
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-02, 12:25
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Just tried them for breakfast , they're really good!

Wa'il
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-02, 14:43
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by alto
Just curious -- why sockeye salmon? (I'm ignorant of kinds of salmon. I've only bought filets -- it's the only fish I'm brave enough to cook -- and I have a choice between Icelandic and something else. I get the Icelandic )
Any type of canned salmon or tuna will do, whatever you have in your cupboard is fine I only used those as examples for the nutrient counts ... and because it's what I used

You make a good point .. I'll go back and add a *note* that the counts may vary depending on type of fish used. The carb count may also vary a bit too, depending on the seasonings used.

Alto, I still remember my Home Ec. classes in highschool, and the whole chapter on different types of fish. At home we had tuna, and we had salmon, there were no "types". My mother was ready to throw me out of the house because I was coming home from school with my textbook open, pointing out that we should've been eating different types!

Check out this article from allRecipes.com for a quick and easy read about the different varieties of salmon.

Doreen
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-02, 13:26
Forum Founder

BF:
Lightbulb

A new twist ...

It was one of those days where I kept going back and forth from pantry to fridge, peering in at the contents, hoping beyond hope that something would leap out and prepare itself for me. Well, since THAT wasn't about to happen, I decided on tuna patties. But alas, I only had a dinky little 3 oz (90g) can. Oh well, mix it up anyway, I'll eat anything Hmmm .. the tuna and egg mixture was pretty soupy looking. So I had this brilliant idea to add some grated cheese .. so I added about 1½ oz (45g) grated swiss ... well, then it was too dry ... So , I added a Tbsp mayonnaise. Perfect. Fried 'em up ... they're delicious. I will be making this again.

I strongly recommend that you use a non-stick pan! And definitely keep the heat down to medium .. the cheese browns quickly.

carbs = 1.5g

enjoy!

Doreen
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-29-02, 13:29

Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default Salmon croquettes

I made salmon croquettes with salmon, egg, mayo, mustard, Mrs. Dash, and my secret ingredient--crushed pork rind for a binder. This way I could shape them with my hands.

Tastey too!

Carol
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-22-02, 19:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 311/272/200
BF:
Progress: 35%

Thanks for the recipe Doreen. I made some this morning. I used a Little Essence (thank you Emeril) and some fresh garlic. BAAMMM
They were great. It's just awesome to have these great LC recipes. It helps to have so many that are good in order to prevent boredom.

Thanks again
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jul-09-02, 07:53

Stats: 181/156/150
BF:
Progress: 81%
Default Great tip

I love salmon and tuna and forgot about making them into patties. Haven't had salmon patties in years. Man, another item to add to my grocery list <grin>!! These are wonderful cold too so they would make a great take along lunch for work.

Karin
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Aug-23-02, 21:26
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 300/247/150
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default fish patties! can't wait to try 'em

I am going to have tuna patties for breakfast tomorrow and buy a can of salmon next time I'm in the store.

Great idea. It reallly IS great to have lots of yummy lc recipes: helps keep me on the path
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Sep-18-02, 10:53

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 265/258/129
BF:48/48/20
Progress: 5%
Lightbulb Hmmmm...

I used to make salmon and tuna patties with leftover mashed potato. I wonder what they would be like with the faux mashed potato instead? I'll have to make a triple batch because last time my friend (who is not on l/c) and I ate ALL of the faux mashed spuds up!

I'll let you know.

Alena.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-03, 02:15

Stats: 221.8/221.8/155 Female 5’7”
BF:
Progress: 0%
Thumbs up Thanks!

Doreen this was so good! I had run out of ideas for dinner as the meat I pulled out of the freezer wasn't good anymore. I browsed through the recipies, and hey, I had all the ingredients and it sounded delicious! Scott did up some seasoning for me (I'm terrible at that stuff) and we sprinkled some Essence on top while cooking. Very very good!
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-03, 15:43

Plan: South/Atkins/Ornish/etc.
Stats: 275/260/190 Male 5'10"
BF:lbs&in. first, ok?
Progress: 18%

I had to fix them for breakfast this morning. Well, lunch. I didn't exactly roll out of bed early...

For seasoning I added small (1/8 - 1/4 t.) amounts of thyme, marjoram, celery seed, savory and parsley. A little bit of black pepper as well. (Same seasonings I did for Caitlin's batch last night.)

I did use a bit more Essence, because I wanted a slightly "blackened" flavor on the crunchy outside.

Topped it off with a caper and dill mayo (1 tablespoon capers, drained and a couple good pinches of dill, in about 3 tablespoons of mayo), and it was delicious!