Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Quick Meals & Snacks
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-29-04, 14:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/000/165 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 243%
Default psyllium "crackers"

I apologize for not knowing how to find the other thread when I asked the question about cooking with psyllium. Some kind soul posted a recipe she uses to make psyllium crackers. Well I tried it today, and thought I would share my results.

She originally said mix 3 heaping teaspoons of flax meal with 4 heaping teaspoons of psyllium husks and seasoning of choice. Then add 2.5 cups of water and mix. Pour onto a greased baking sheet and bake at 200-300 for three hours.

That is my paraphrase of what she suggested.

I used a tupperware shaker and put the three heaping t. flax meal, and four heaping t psyllium husks along with 1/2 t. of garlic salt.

I greased the cookie sheet with olive oil and baked it at 300' for three hours.

While I was a skeptic before trying this I am now a believer.

The cooking removes the water from the mixture and leaves behind a thin
crispy wafer like substance. The texture is very similar to eating a thick chip and gives the mouth the same satisfaction as crunching potato chips.

Considering none of these things are allowed this is a wonderful find.

I can see breaking these up on a salad as a crouton substitute, or if you are behind on fats slathering them with butter. Since I greased my sheet with olive oil they have that hint of oil, and the subtle garlic taste. I might increase the garlic salt in the next batch.

Keep in mind, while my psyllium lists itself as 5 grams carb with five grams fiber for each rounded teaspoon, being a wash, the flax meal lists six grams carbs and only four grams fiber per 2.5 TABLESPOONS. This leaves a net of 2 carbs for 2 1/2 tablespoons. I did measure my "heaping teaspoon" and it fills the tablespoon measure just about.

So a purist could measure 2.5 T into the mix of psyllium and know the whole
batch would have a total of 2 net carbs.

This recipe makes a whole cookie sheet of "crackers" and I seriously doubt that I would consume and entire tray in a single day.

The entire batch would have 20 grams fiber from the psyllium and 4 grams fiber from the flax meal for a total of 24 grams. I used about a tablespoon of olive oil to coat the cookie sheet, and the flax meal lists 60 calories for a 2.5T
serving.

That gives you all the information you might want to include if you are using fit day.com

Give this a try.
Again, thanks to the person who responded to my original post. I wish I could find you now.
Karen
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-29-04, 15:20

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Glad it worked out for you. Thanks for the elaboration of method and results.

To find your past posts, there are a couple of things you can do.
1. Click on your user name in any of your posts. When the Profile page opens, scroll down to: Find all posts by this user and click on it. You'll get a list of your posts and can look for the one you want.

2. If you can see a heading "Quick Links", I think you can find your Recent Posts there. (I have a Macintosh, not a PC, so I don't have that heading.)
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-29-04, 15:23

Plan: Atkins as a loose guide
Stats: 237/149/135 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:
Progress: 86%
Default where do I find psyllium?

Thanks for the recipe - I've already written it down and can't wait to try it! However, I need to find psyllium first. I bought ground flax seed at my local grocery store but didn't see psyllium. Do I need to visit a health food store?
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-29-04, 16:28
... Pro-Atkins!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 312/274/220 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%
Thumbs up

Hey Karen ... I'm so glad you liked them!

I originally modified a recipe that just used psyllium and didn't care for the results - the 'cracker' shrunk up to 1/2 it's original size and got very thick and sharp, hard to eat. The flax seems to help make it into a proper crisp cracker - tastes much better and has health benefits of it's own.

I've used Mexican seasonings and made nachos - yum! But you've got to eat them pretty quick - the cracker turns limp much faster than a corn tortilla chip. I'd imagine adding them to a salad as a crouton would have the same effect.

Also - another variation is the Sweet Psyllium Cracker ... replace some of the water with a SF syrup - like DaVinci's or Atkins. I've used Vanilla syrup, cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg to make a lovely cracker - by themselves with a cup of tea is wonderful, but with a bit of sweetend cream cheese on top it makes a decadent (and fiber rich!) dessert.

I've also used Peanut Butter syrup, but since I think I was hoping for something like Nutter Butter cookies, it just couldn't live up to my expectations!

geauxleaux: Some grocery stores will sell psyllium as 'Colon Cleanse' or some such name - but be sure to look for 100% psyllium husks with no additives. I buy mine at the Health Food Store. They charge about $4.00 a pound - much, much cheaper than the grocery store version. I can make about 10 cookies sheets per 1/2 pound, so that's a good bargain.

Some other thing to note:

* Drink *plenty* of water when you eat them, or they can make you constipated.

* If you haven't been taking psyllium previously, don't have more than 1/4 of a sheet at a time. (Let your body get used to the extra fiber.)

* Take medication 1 hour before or 2 hours after injesting a fiber supplement.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-29-04, 16:33
... Pro-Atkins!

BF:

And ooops ... Karen,

For the record I used heaping Tablespoons of both flax and psyllium. But it's good to know it worked out your way, too!

And if anyone else tries making this - know that 3 hours may not be enough time to completely dry out the crackers. Often I'll leave my oven at 200 overnight and wake up to a nicely crisp cracker.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-30-04, 11:20

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by geauxleaux
Thanks for the recipe - I've already written it down and can't wait to try it! However, I need to find psyllium first. I bought ground flax seed at my local grocery store but didn't see psyllium. Do I need to visit a health food store?

psyllim husk powder is the same thing as Metamucil plain. I did buy my powder in a GNC store, but psyllium is the ingredient in Metamucil, just read the label to make sure it hasnt got additives in it.

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-30-04, 16:10

BF:

I set the oven temperature to 300' and the cracker was done after three hours.

Plus I used a heaping silverware teaspoon, not a measuring teaspoon.
After making them I wanted a more exact measure of what I mixed so I took a teaping teaspoon (silverware teaspoon) and dumped it into a measuring tablespoon. They were about equal.

So I used about three tablespoons flax meal to 4 tablespoons psyllium to 2.5 cups water.

I just finished up the second half of this batch and cant wait to try making them with a different variety of seasoning.

I ate them today with my salad for lunch. Had a nice crunch. I did not put them in the bowl with the salad but ate them at the same time. That way they did not get soggy.

Karen
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-30-04, 16:14
... Pro-Atkins!

BF:

Karen

I pass the crown ... You are now the Queen of the Psyllium Crackers!

You go girl!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-01-04, 09:44
Contributing Member

Plan: lowcarb .
Stats: 160/141/127 Female 5'6"
BF:it"s for SALE!
Progress: 58%

Off to the store I go...

what a great post!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-01-04, 09:48
Contributing Member

hey...I was just wondering, do you think a person could add a tad of shredded cheese to the uncooked mixture to make cheese crackers?
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-01-04, 13:39
... Pro-Atkins!

BF:
Smile

Cinderella ~

You'll have to test out adding cheese to our recipe, but if you want a sure thing, try Ruth's (RGale) recipe for Flax Crackers:

Flax Crackers
1/2 cup water
2 T. Butter
2 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 cup flax meal
2 T. Vital Wheat Gluten
Seasoning of choice (I use a home-made seasoning salt with lots of garlic and onion powder)

Bring the water and butter to a boil. Add the cheese, and stir until it melts, then add the flours and seasoning. Stir until it forms a ball (or at least a uniform mass -- I never see an actual ball in the bottom of the pot.) Turn it out on a cutting board, and spread it as thinly as you like with a spatula. I can usually get it to about 9 X 10 inches or so -- I've never actually measured. Then cut it into slices. I usually get 18 per batch, but you can cut them any size you like. It may be a little tricky to get the slices off the board, and onto a greased baking sheet, but if they tear a bit, you can just push them back together. The dough is very elastic, and sticks to itself nicely.

Bake at 400 for 15 minutes, then turn the heat down to 300 and bake another 15 minutes. Let cool, and keep in a tin.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-04, 19:58
Contributing Member

thanx
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-04, 07:12
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 110/110/&;100 Female 152 cm
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Heaping TBS

Hi,

I would like to make the phyllium cracker..but i have a question.

When u refer to heaping TBS, do u mean the heaping spoon that comes with the protein powder or round measured T?

Thanks,
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-04, 20:53
... Pro-Atkins!

BF:

Hey Chutatip_t ...

I made mine with a rounded tablespoon, not the protein powder scoop.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy them!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Oct-28-04, 07:17
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 110/110/&;100 Female 152 cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Monika,

Can i confirm that it is a tablespoon and not a teaspoon? I looked at the recipe above and i saw that the recipe said heaping teaspoon which is roughly = measured tablespoon.

a bit confused now :-(