Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Mon, Nov-13-06, 18:03

Plan: Pesco-vegetarian
Stats: 145/130/115 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress:

Thanks so much for the advice!!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Feb-08-07, 14:26

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 175/167.7/139 Female 5'6''
BF:
Progress: 20%

I'm so glad there are other vegiterian low carbers!! I'm not vegetarian but I don't eat a lot of meat until I started the LC diet again. I think this thread will be very helpful!! thanks everyone!!
  #48   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-07, 14:48
Registered Member

Plan: SBD
Stats: 356/200/125 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%

I eat alot of Quorn products. They are good for protein and low in carbs depending on what product.

http://www.quorn.us

I also eat alot of channa dal. It is low in the GI chart and good for diabetics (which I am).

Carol
  #49   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-07, 08:35

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 200/180/155 Female 5foot  7inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Vegetarian lifestyle

Hello Karen,
I am new to this site and really appreciate all the information.
I do eat meat but sometimes I prefer to go without for a time but to still eat low carb.
This article is very helpful.
  #50   ^
Old Tue, Nov-20-07, 16:53

Plan: Vegetarian Low GI
Stats: 188/179.8/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmango
I am looking a low carb high protein shake any suggestions!! no milk mixtures, don't like milk. I knew A lady who mix hers with diet coke what do you think!!

Sweetmango,
I went on a search for just the thing you're looking for a while back and came up with Nature's Plus Energy unsweetened, unflavored protein powder. I'm very picky about taste (don't like the aftertaste of some of the powders) and I found this one is great - no aftertaste and also it makes a shake very thick and rich (so you might need to add more water). It's also lowcarb and nondairy - 1 scoop is 2 carbs, I think.

It is made of soy, so anyone who is sensitive to soy might not be able to use it. Also, check the can to make sure that it really is unsweetened and unflavored and 70 calories/2 net carbs per scoop. I bought a can without lookin at it and it turned out to be 160 calories and something like 18 grams of carbs!

Hope that helps!

Tam
  #51   ^
Old Thu, May-01-08, 08:01

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/210/185 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress:
Default Low Carb Tofu Sauce

anyone have any ideas for seasoning and coking tofu?

also - can i eat tofu in induction?

thanks
  #52   ^
Old Thu, May-01-08, 08:03

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/210/185 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress:
Default What About Induction

hey karen - your threads are AMAZING. thanks.

i still can;t seem to find a straight forward answer ont he induction phase for vegetarians. what can i eat/substitute and what can i not? for example, can i eat quorn products, can i eat tofu? so far, all i have eaten is salad, eggs, cheese and atkins bars.

would be great to change things around a bit, but i will do all cheese, eggs and bars if i have to for 2 weeks...

any help would be incredibly welcome!

thanks much,
vic
3thirty3~gmail.com
  #53   ^
Old Sat, May-03-08, 17:32

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

South beach is a lot more veggie friendly at least for the early phases and without getting calories from meat you can be a little more liberal with the non low fat cheese and such. Check out those forums. I know I found it pretty helpful when I wasn't eating meat at all. (tofu, beans, and soy products are allowed in limited amounts even on phase 1)
  #54   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-08, 08:28

Plan: Organic, Raw Foods
Stats: 176/138/117 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default Organic?

First of all, Karen your help and advice is nothing short of amazing! Thank you for all you do!

I have played the weight yo-yo game yet once again and have now settled on an organic diet as much as possible. I found eliminating as many chemicals as possible from my diet has been the key for me. However, anything organic is hard to find and sometimes as much as triple the price of regular food. Meat is seemingly impossible to locate (without special ordering, shipping, etc). And when I now eat any kind of meat with growth hormones or antibiotics, I am sick. My body really revolts and begins throwing it off any and every way it knows how!

So, I have become vegetarian (mostly) by default. This thread is most appreciated and the support most welcomed.

Kathy
  #55   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-08, 08:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 130/130/100 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress:

Hi! That TVP sounds pretty good, would it be ok on induction??
  #56   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-08, 19:17

Plan: UD2
Stats: 195/180/175 Male 68 inches
BF:15%/8%/7.0%
Progress: 75%

FYI I've never found any low-carb diet that couldn't easily be adapted for vegetarians.
  #57   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-08, 12:03

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 155/125/125 Female 62 inches
BF:21
Progress: 100%

Omigosh! I am sooo grateful to have found this post!

I'm a former vegetarian (long story on why I'm former), but I still don't like making meat a huge part of my diet. I sometimes get really sick of eating meat. Thank you for showing me how to eliminate a bunch of meat from my diet! Cool thread.
  #58   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-08, 19:23

Plan: UD2
Stats: 195/180/175 Male 68 inches
BF:15%/8%/7.0%
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevaboo
Omigosh! I am sooo grateful to have found this post!

I'm a former vegetarian (long story on why I'm former), but I still don't like making meat a huge part of my diet. I sometimes get really sick of eating meat. Thank you for showing me how to eliminate a bunch of meat from my diet! Cool thread.

No problem. And remember, you can always become a former former-vegetarian.
  #59   ^
Old Fri, Jul-16-10, 06:25

Plan: Vegetatian Low Carb Plan
Stats: 200/183/160 Male 168
BF:
Progress: 43%

I struggled with doing Atkins as a vegetarian as I was determined to include the induction phase.
I found this very easy once I bought the two excellent vegetarian low-carb books by Rose Elliot.
Both are cheap on Amazon and the recipes are so good that my (non-veggie) housemate who was on Atkins started using those in preference to the Atkins recipes because they looked tastier.
Buying those books would be my biggest tip to anyone, particularly if you're wanting to do a 20g carb induction phase as a vegetarian.
  #60   ^
Old Fri, Jul-16-10, 08:17

Plan: Organic, Raw Foods
Stats: 176/138/117 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default Green Smoothies

A life saver for me has been the green smoothie. I have never been one to eat my veggies, and now I'm eating more greens than ever. They are low carb and over the top with nutrition. Here are two websites that have fantastic information and recipes: http://www.rawfamily.com/recipes http://www.greensmoothiegirl.com/