Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 07:29
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%
Lightbulb Questions to/answers of Carbohydrate Addicts (CAs)?

I would like to start a thread that Carbohydrate Addicts (CAs) can read to validate their feelings and to tell them they are not alone. I would also like to tell them that there is hope through CAD/CALP and that those feelings will go away and they CAN have a normal relationship with food. Would you join me?

If so please answer relating to these questions:

1. How did you feel when you were out of control? Hunger levels? Physically? Mental/Emotionally? What are carb cravings like?

2. How many other "diets" have you done? Name them. Did any of these successfully control your carb cravings? What were the ultimate results? How did you feel when/if you regained the weight? Did you regain even more weight than you lost?

3. How did you find CAD/CALP and how did you feel when you did?

4. How long on CAD/CALP did it take for the cravings to go away? How many times did you have to restart (not a day or two off plan and right back on but giving in to the cravings and/or binging and having to restart)?

5. Where are you in your CAD/CALP journey? Has your relationship with food normalized? Somewhat? Are you still at the "Kid in the Candy Store Syndrome" stage? Do you feel in control?

6. What is the "Kid in the Candy Store Syndrome"? Did you go through it? How long, if ever, did it take for you to get past it?

7. Is CAD/CALP for life to you or just until you lose the weight? Do you feel you can do it for life?

8. What has CAD/CALP done for you and would you recommend it to others?

I realize these are a lot of questions and require detailed, honest and sometimes emotionally wrenching answers and I thank you for your honesty and willingness to share if you choose to answer them. If so, I suggest that you print out the questions, think about them, type them into a Word document with your answers, and then copy and paste the document here.

Ultimately I would like to have this thread made into a sticky.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 15:20

Plan: Weight Watchers
Stats: 264/136/146 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress: 108%

This is a great idea Zule. I know it would have been really, really helpful to me in the beginning and will probably find it to be so now as well. The journey never ends and there is always something new to learn or a new perspective to think about.

I think I'll tackle one question at a time as I have time so....

#1. I didn't know what carb cravings were until I read CAD/CALP and had them defined for me with the test. I always felt I was battling myself inside. One minute I was in control of my eating and the next I was like a crazy person stuffing food in when no one was looking and then feeling the guilt and shame. When Heller's described the "addiction" I felt like someone else out there knew what I was feeling and understood and then they offered hope for a normal life.

I never didn't feel hungry. I could eat a huge meal and always have room for "a little something" in a very short time. I often felt embarrased that I always had a clean plate at a luncheon or gathering of other women. I just never really felt full....ever. I could follow diets for long periods of time, but eventually.....the three day binges came and after enough of them the three days turned into weeks before I could regain control and move on. Of course the extra weight came too that I had to lose AGAIN.

I couldn't identify this behaviour as carb addiction just glutinous, stupid behaviour that I should have been able to control. I ate secretly all the time. I was ashamed all the time. The weight and the process of losing it have dominated my life since I was 10 when my mom put me on my first liquid diet. I have felt hopeless and ruled by the unhappiness I have felt about being fat all my life unless I was literally starving myself as I did often through high school.

Carb cravings feel like you have no control, hope of control or a life beyond food.

To be continued with #2....

Deb
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 00:57

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 188/185/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 6%

I agree, Zulekia - these are excellent questions.

#1 I am in lockstep with Deb. I dieted and dieted and didn't lose. But then the other side came along - with the food obsessions and secretly eating. And never feeling like I had enough to eat, even when I felt physically stuffed - like how can you be stuffed and still hungry? Anyway, I really felt like I was "bad" for not being able to control my eating. I didn't really recognize cravings as cravings. I just thought wanting cookies 24 hours a day was normal.

#2 I went on Weight Watchers after my first baby, and lost fairly well. But then I had another baby & WW didn't work quite so well. Eventually it quit working all together, but for many years I kept working at the low-fat diet with plenty of good low-fat fruits, veggies, whole grains, etc. This is basically how I gained my weight.

5 years ago I started eating higher protein (at the suggestion of a personal trainer) and felt better immediately & my weight pretty much stabilized - I didn't lose but felt better & still had some cravings.

Then I started Atkins just before a wedding in 2000 & that was the ultimate kid in candy store experience. Tartar sauce on fish! Full fat dressing! Omelette with sour cream & real cheese! Peanut butter! Real mayo - things I had not had in years. Feeling full & satisfied for hours between meals. After about 8 months on Atkins and no weight loss, I ran out of energy & my hair loss was getting noticable. I didn't know how to figure out my 'critical carb level for losing' if I wasn't losing.

Then I bumped around with some different diets BFL, Schwarzbein, Fat flush & Zone. I just couldn't stick to them, and will not settle for feeling "bad" anymore.

Way more than anyone wanted to know... Later!

Lila
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 13:26

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 191/189/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Oh, dear, yes!
Progress: 5%

Excellent idea, Zuleika!

#1. When I was out of control, my blood sugar was also out of control -- way too low. I felt hungry all the time; edgy; shaky; sometimes cold sweats; migraines; exhausted. Everything seemed like too much to cope with. I could be done with a substantial meal, and still feel hungry.

#2. I did a low-fat diet about 12 years ago for high cholesterol, and it only made it worse. I did lose weight. I began gaining weight after being diagnosed with hypoglycemia 1 1/2 years ago, and obviously was eating the wrong way for my body. I started with Atkins, but it made me really sick -- my blood sugar was dangerously low, I had a migraine the whole time, and had severe digestive problems. I went from Atkins right into CAD, and began losing weight immediately; then I switched to CALP. On New Year's, I tried Protein Power, and lasted only 1 day -- my body reacted poorly to it, and my blood sugar dropped quickly. So, I was back to CALP.

#3. I found CAD/CALP because a good friend is on it. It impressed me as a plan that I could stick with for my life -- it doesn't exclude any food. I tested as a moderate carb addict, but the book described a lot of what I was going through. I felt hope. I read both CAD and CALP, as well as several other books which I've listed in my profile. CALP sounded like the best idea for me.

#4. It took a week for the cravings and hunger to go away. Every once in a while, I still get some. I only restarted once, because I took a "holiday" from Thanksgiving to New Year's. It wasn't difficult restarting.

#5. I started CAD/CALP about 6 months ago, and have lost ~20% of what I want to lose. My relationship with food has normalized -- I don't "medicate" or "comfort" myself with food. I feel like I'm more in control. I'm pretty good at balancing my RM and eating a variety of foods. I've learned to listen to my body better than before, and I have been able to identify unexpected craving triggers (onion was one!), which also happen to be hypoglycemic inducers. If it's not my RM, I'm capable of passing up that birthday cake or ice cream - the temptation passes.

#6. For me, "Kid in the Candy Store Syndrome" never hit. I think the KITCSS is when you eat everything you want in the 1-hour RM with no balance. I've had to watch my foods for hypoglycemia, so I never went overboard in my RM. I've been thrilled that, once a day, I can now have fruit or a little ice cream or a little pastry -- all this without throwing my blood sugar into a tailspin. I work hard at planning my meals, and at balancing my RM. I feel more in control now.

#7. I plan to stick on CAD/CALP even after I lose the weight. I'm working at avoiding Type 2 diabetes.

#8. CAD/CALP has given me a new outlook, and a balanced WOE. It has my blood sugar normalized, and that feels really good. My migraines have lessened in severity and duration. I'm not constantly starving. I highly recommend it for anyone with carb addiction or insulin "issues."

I tried to be as concise as possible!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 13:28
Fitday PC's #1 Fan

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: 310/151.0/152.5 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 101%

Question #1

Normal hunger: "I'm hungry."

Carb craving: "I'm HHHUUUNNNNNNNNGGGGRRRYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Sure sign it's the carbs: "I just ate, but I'm HHHUUUNNNNNNNNGGGGRRRYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

To get the full effect you need to read the word HHHUUUNNNNNNNNGGGGRRRYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! in sort of a gravely monster voice.

Lynda
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 23:49

BF:

#2.
I started dieting at the age of 10. I had 13 pounds to lose and went on Metrecal 4 times a day. I earned $1 a pound and bought a fishing pole with the money. High school brought laxatives and day in a row of no eating....water only. This allowed pizza out with friends on Friday nights. Don't know how my mom didn't notice I wasn't eating. We always ate as a family. Maybe enough commotion to cover my moves. WW was next....countless times. After my 4th child I did Optifast for 9 months. Lost over 100 pounds. WW again and again. Everything worked temporarily, but when I would stop losing the frustration would set in and the eating would begin. I have been up and down the scale so many times I've probably lost 1000 pounds.

I didn't know what carb cravings were. I just know my mom took me to many doctors who said that if I wanted to lose weight I should keep my daily calorie intake around 500 a day. Diets and doctors have made me what I am today. My diet mindset has controlled my life for as long as I can remember, but that's getting better. CAD has been a turning point. I think my body is healing as well as my spirit.

Deb
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 00:35

BF:

#3.
I had heard the Heller's speak on various talk shows when they first became popular, but laughed them off as being ridiculous. A long time later I started on Atkins and found this website. I kept my eye on one or two CAD people, saw they were actually losing and became intriqued. I bought the books and gave it a whirl.....best thing I EVER did for myself!

#4.
It took about 3-4 days for the cravings and headache to go away. The headache I'm pretty sure was from the reduction in diet sodas (still a bit a tough piece for me), I have never had to re-start CAD. I've had 3-4 days that didn't go perfectly planned due to being out of town and a little over relaxed, but I jumped right back on and didn't suffer any craving problems.

Nearly all the time I feel in control. It has been really wonderful. I had a bit of a little shake up recently when out of town and feeling like I wanted to rebel a bit, but that was the first time I had that feeling in over a year. My relationship with food feels much more normal, even different, as things I thought I couldn't live without have become much less important. My tastes have changed and I really think about what I want for RM. There is no more thoughtless eating. I hate a messed up RM so they are carefully planned to be good for body and soul. No more hiding out.....I eat my treats in public and enjoy them completely.
There are times when my RM sneaks back to the KITCSS, but because I fill up fairly rapidly, there is really only so much damage I can do! Sometimes I just want what I want.....and I have it.....in my hour...never, never over.

#6.
Pretty much answered in previous question.

#7.
I can absolutely see this as a lifetime woe. I have never been on a plan so easy to stay on. I don't feel deprived or angry about not being able to eat like a "normal" person all the time. I would stay on CAD even if I never lost another pound. While my weight loss is slow I believe CAD is unraveling all the dieting damage I've done over many, many years. I'm starting to feel a great deal of harmony with my body, my weight, and my food. It's a wonderful feeling.

#8.
I realize the CAD is not for everyone, but I wish everyone would give it a try. I feel like I want to recommend it to every overweight person I see struggling through life, but I know that's not my perogative. CAD has brought some sanity and happiness back to my life. I'm eating with my family again and they love it. They love that I'm cooking again and even enjoying it from time to time! I don't think about food all the time (except when I'm planning the perfect RM!) I'm hopeful again. I really believe that I'm having a normal relationship with food again and am a better role model for my last DD than I was for my first 2. I want to lose more weight, but I am content to know that it may be a long journey. It's ok because I know that anything I want/need to eat is never more than 24 hours away and often when the 24 hours have passed I don't even want it. I don't overeat and I don't obsess and best of all.....I don't hide!

Deb
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 11:49

Plan: CAD from day 1
Stats: 327/304/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default My Answers

Sorry to take so long to do this, Zuleikaa!

1. Before CAD, I felt terrible all the time. Either I was on a diet and suffering horribly to try and stick to it, or I was bingeing and feeling disgusted about it. I was always thinking about food, either way. Carb cravings for me were a "drive" to eat... I didn't realize then that it was always carbs, but it was. They were stronger than any part of me that I tried to use to fight them.

2. I have done sooo many other diets..wasted sooo much money. WW, at least 20 different re-joins, 8 years in Overeaters Anonymous, Diet Centre, Weight Loss Clinic, Dr. Berenstein (well, a clone of him), Tops, hospital nutritionist, and a million different diets out of magazines and books. None of them ever controlled my carb cravings. I always caved, sometimes sooner, sometimes later. I lost 60 lbs twice with WW, but couldn't stick past that. I also lost 70lbs one time when my marriage broke up but I sure don't recomment THAT diet! I always regained more weight and felt like an out of control loser when I did.

3. I heard about CAD on another forum... and also in a magazine. It took months for me to get around to giving it a shot. As soon as I heard the name of it, something told me it would be the plan for me.. but I had a hard time getting my head around the idea of no carbs for 2 meals a day. That seemed impossible to me.

4. My cravings were mostly gone after a week on CAD. I have never had to restart as the only time I have really broken it was with wine that went well over the hour.

5. I feel I am still a bit in the KITCSS stage. I must have dessert every night. I would like that to stop..but nothing indicates it will. I have lost 60% of the weight I need to lose and am pretty satisfied with my progress so far.

6. After being on diets for so long where any 'treat' is forbidden, it is only natural to go a little crazy with CAD at the beginning. It is so freeing to be able to choose whatever food you want for your carbs. It is learning to balance your RM that curbs this..something I am still working on

7. CAD is definitely for life for me. I will never go back to my old way of eating because then I would be a slave again. I am free right now, in control and nothing could make me give that up.

8. CAD has taken away my drive to eat compulsively. I have a normal relationship with food now and I don't obsess about it all the time anymore. I LOVE it and I would recommend it to anyone who feels that they cannot stop eating.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 05:13
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Update post.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 20:01

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 210/161/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 82%

Good idea Zule!

1. How did I feel? I felt out of control and shaky. I didn't really eat because I was hungry, but more because of the ill, light headed feeling I had after going a few hours without food. Carb cravings for me.. are the feeling of my blood sugar dropping soon after I ate, eating more carbs because those were my comfort foods and dropping again.

2. Nothing else controlled my carb cravings. I have been on many diets mostly low fat.. and high carb. I was thin for most of my life because I lived on diet pepsi and a few carbs.. and then my low blood sugar problems set in and I could no longer go without eating and then the weight came on. I was on Phen/Fen and was exercising and could not lose weight.

3. I can't remember how I heard about the program, but when I bought the book I knew they were talking to me.

4. One year on CALP.. my cravings went away after about a month, but they are back because for some reason I keep cheating. I have not binged since starting a year ago.. I would say I have never had to entirely restart. I go a couple of days of cheating and then get serious again. By cheating I mean.. not having balanced RMs or eating a little after the hour.

5. I am about half way through my journey of weight loss.. but realize this is for life. I am not in control right now.. but nothing like I was before.. and no shaky feeling.

6. Never had the kid in the candy store syndrome.. if you mean stuffing myself with sweets and such at a RM.

7. Definitely for life.. I like not being shaky and don't ever want to start the yo-yo diet thing again.

8. I do recommend it to others, but understand that everyone has their own journey and they need to listen to their bodies.. but do something. Life is too short to be out of shape and feel uncomfortable.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 15:47

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 233/192/145 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 47%

How in the world did I miss this thread when it first got started. These are great questions, Zule. Thanks for creating it.

#1 I also, didn't know what carb addiction. I just knew that I felt hungry all the time. Years ago I use to sneak food, like candy bars, cookies, etc. all the good high carbed foods. I didn't want anyone to know that I ate foods like that. I never realized that certain foods would set me off. When I first started dieting in high school, I did discover that if I went for a couple of days without anything sweet to eat, like candy, cookies, etc, that I didn't crave them anymore, but I didn't know why that was. That was way before Atkins came along. I never really ate a whole lot at meals. It was the in-between snacking on chips, sodas, sweets, that was my downfall.

#2 I have been on so many diets over the years, I can't even begin to count them. I will name a few.. When I was in high school, my weight was 133 lbs. I was considered over weight. My boyfriend was on me all the time to lose weight. I went to a Dr. who gave me diet pills to take. I did this for 3 months and got my weight down to 110 lbs. Everyone thought I looked great and at that age I guess I probably did, but I could not keep it off. It came back on just as quick. I was on various other diets after that. I think that started my Yo-Yo dieting. After I married my first husband my weight went up to 145 lbs. He was always on me to lose weight. So, I heard about a diet where you didn't eat anything. It was a fasting diet and you had to go to a Dr. to be monitored and given special vitamins. Of course I lost rapidly because I was young and went down to 110 lbs again, but there again, I gained as fast as I lost. After that I just went from one diet to another. I even tried Nutri Systems. I did lose, but could not keep it off. I still craved carbs terribly and of course that was my downfall with these diets.

#3 Oct 2000, I went on Atkins and was amazed because my appetite was under control for the first time ever. I didn't have any cravings and it was wonderful. The bad news for me was after being on Atkins for 5 weeks, I had not dropped even a single lb. Nada, nothing. I was so disappointed because I loved the fact that I wasn't hungry. I felt full all the time and so content. I went off of Atkins right before Thanksgiving. My sister-in-law had sent me the CAD book because of the Low Carb recipes in there. She thought I might be able to use them on Atkins. It sat on my coffee table for a couple of weeks. One day I picked it up and started reading it. It sounded really interesting, but I was very skeptical, but I figured, I didn't have anything to lose. I thought if CAD would do what Atkins had done and keep my hunger at bay, then maybe this would be a better program. I started Dec 26 2000 and within the first 2 weeks I had lost 10 lbs. I could not believe it. Of course after that the weight loss slowed down, but I was averaging 4 lbs a month. I was so happy.

#4 It took about 3 days for my cravings to totally disappear. It was about that amount of time also for the headaches to disappear too. Once they disappeared I was just amazed with CAD. I was totally in control of my eating just like I had been with Atkins, only this was even better.. I felt so in control and in general felt wonderful.

I stuck with CAD for 7 straight months and lost 40 lbs. I never went off of it even once in that time. I never had a desire to go off of it.. I went camping with my sister, brother and their spouses. I went off of it for 2 weeks, but I was not worried as I knew how much I loved CAD that I would be able to get right back on. I had gained 8 lbs, which I was not happy about. I did get right back on track after vacation and the 8 lbs were right back off within the first couple of weeks, but then something happened. I could not get beyond that point. For the next 1 1/2 yrs I stuck to CAD like glue with the exception of another vacation with my brother and sister. I still could not lose anymore wieght. Out of frustation I went off of it to try WW, thinking if I could lose the weight on WW, than I would go back to CAD to maintain it. Nope, I didn't lose on WW either. After 2 months on WW the carb addiiction started sneaking back up on me, so I jumped right back on CAD Over the past couple of years, I have tried various other Low Carb diets, only to come back to CAD. I feel the best on CAD.

#5 My relationship with food has defintely normalized. I am not obsessed with food as long as I stick to CAD. CAD is the only plan that I have tried where I don't even want to snack. All other low carb plans, I find myself needing or wanting to snack.

#6. I find that if I have a dessert every night at my RM that my body sort of expects it at every RM. I feel very deprived if I don't have something sweet to eat. I have found I can break myself of this habit by just not eating anything sweet to eat for at least 3 nights, than I don't crave them. I sometimes try to eat just fruit or yogurt instead of candy or ice cream. I am not always successful, but that is alright, because at least I know that if I do have that piece of cake etc, that my eating won't get out of control.

#7 CAD is definitely for life. There might be times when I feel like I need to try something different in the way of LC-ing. I just get so flustered when the scale won't budge for me, but I always come back to CAD.

#8 I would recommend to anyone who has an addiciton to carbs to try CAD. I know it isn't for everyone and some people find that they have a hard time controlling their RM and it turns into one big carb feast. I think for most of these people if they were to follow CAD/CALP the way it should be followed then they would find that it works for them too. CAD has done miracles for me. I don't know how many times I have been on diets and lost weight only to regain it back as fast. I could never last longer than 3 months on any other low cal diet, then it was back to eating out of control again. I might be in a stall right now due to my age (at least that is my guess) but I haven't gained back the 40 lbs that I lost to begin with.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jun-23-04, 12:08
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Update post.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Aug-20-04, 06:09
Finding the Pieces