Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-02, 16:31

Plan: Neanderthin
Stats: 269/176/165 Male 68"
BF:55+%/23%/15%
Progress: 89%
Talking I make no excuses

I just tell it like it is..."Yeah, I'm on a low carb way of eating and plan to stay on it for the rest of my life. What plan? Oh, it's called 'Neanderthin'. It's the diet our ancestors ate before everybody started getting sick with cancer, diabetes, MS, lupus, obesity, and arthritis. I think it has something to do with not eating grains and beans, and stuff. Feel great! Maybe you ought to try it. Might help you with your arthritis/lupus/ms/cancer/ obesity/etc. (chose one). I really don't care what "they" think. I know I'm doing myself a big favor and am going to outlive a lot of them, so what "they" think is of little consequence. I'm beginning to think there is merit in being "selfish," and not so "altruistic" as to worry about everybody else's feelings but my own. What has being the "nicest guy" ever got for me except a lot of selfish people using me to get what they wanted? Am I bitter? Not really...Because I've gotten to the point of not caring any longer about the mythical "them." It's been a cleansing healing. It's time I look out for ME. Many people could care less if you succeed or fail, but they will often give you advise that will assure you of failure. It's time to start thinking on my own.. If something makes good sense, I'm going to try it! I feel better than I've felt since I was a kid. I look better. I can wear clothing I haven't been able to wear since the sixties...not that I want to wear them, now! I'm going to the High Sierras to hike into an area that I consider the most beautiful place on the planet that I haven't been to since I was 16. How can I do this? By not weighing as much as a tub of tar!
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Thu, Apr-04-02, 12:26
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/210/205
BF:
Progress: 92%

thanks for the congrats ... i look forward to you all reaching your goals also
  #63   ^
Old Sun, Apr-28-02, 05:50

Plan: Go-Diet
Stats: 188/164/145
BF:
Progress:
Default The word "Atkins"

Telling people you are on the Atkins diet can start a real argument. Usually involving how it will kill me. So I don't tell them anything. I just watch them getting fatter and fatter, being sick, often, and eat what I eat with no apologies. People's conception of the Atkins diet is derived from the media. I got so mad last week when Katie Couric was interviewing Dr. Atkins that I had to turn off the TV. Why did they feel it is necessary to show hugh pans of bacon and grills full of hamburgers/hot dogs over and over while they were talking to him?? Anyone that doesn't understand Atkins think vegetables never cross your lips and that you drink butter to wash down two lbs. of bacon! I also use coconut oil, coconut milk, and eat fresh coconut. THAT reallly gets people crazy!!

GrannieKat
  #64   ^
Old Sun, Apr-28-02, 13:53

Plan: mix of IF and Keto diet
Stats: 283/256/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 20%

I wonder how many of our friends & family will feel the need to protect us even more now that the news of Dr. Atkins' cardiac arrest is out? We could get some really interesting 'interpretations' coming our way. Is everybody forearmed?
  #65   ^
Old Mon, Apr-29-02, 11:44

Cool Yeah, Granniekat!

I agree with you! I tried for the longest time to defend my WOE, but finally I make no apologies and don't try to convince anyone of the rightness of my WOE. If they say something about how bad it is for me, I just look at them and continue to eat the food I eat. I didn't hear about Dr. Atkins cardiac arrest! How did that happen? When did it happen?

Another piece of ammo for the people who continue to get fat and don't want to go on a "diet." Oh well, their "loss." I've learned that people are going to do what they are going to do, and there's nothing any of us can do about it in a free country. For example, my wife was complaining about her arthritis and the doctor for not giving her more medication to ease the pain. I suggested (for the hundredth time) that she might consider the same diet I was on because it relieves the symptoms of autoimmune disease. She reminded me that I had told her that before and decided to be quiet after that...however, she has made no attempt at changing her eating patterns and is frustrated with me because I won't eat some of the food she likes to prepare. We are at a standoff. It's very troubling to me because I can see her becoming less and less healthy and I can do nothing about it. I love her and want her to feel better, but she will not do it the way I think is best. This is with my own wife!
  #66   ^
Old Mon, Apr-29-02, 12:50

Plan: mix of IF and Keto diet
Stats: 283/256/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default I didn't hear about Dr. Atkins cardiac arrest!

see if this short-cut works to read news of Atkins' cardiac arrest. This is just one of many threads:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=41787

maybe try this one too:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=41715

Last edited by Schwarz : Mon, Apr-29-02 at 12:59.
  #67   ^
Old Mon, Apr-29-02, 15:17

Talking Thanks!

I decided to go back to the main page and found a lot of stuff about it. Thanks. Dr. Atkins probabaly wouldn't be with us today, if it weren't for his diet.
  #68   ^
Old Wed, May-29-02, 10:50
Registered Member

Plan: paleo
Stats: 166/131/115
BF:
Progress: 69%

I'm impressed with the quality of answers posted on this thread. And they make for interesting reading too.

We were at a relative's home, who knew about my efforts to lose weight and eat healthy and who also knew that chocolate candy has been my downfall at times. A large box of chocolate candy was passed around to everyone in the room. And after it made the rounds, the our hostess walked clear across the room to set the box on the end table next to me. It appeared to be an effort at sabatoge.

But, on the other hand, in the apartment house where we live many of the residents get together for coffee and sweet desserts once a week. My DH and I go for the social time. He carries in his cup of herb tea and I my glass of water. We pass on the treats that everyone else is eating. And that group has been so supportive of our efforts to build health and lose weight. Last week one of them said we were looking good. And they were interested that my DH's medical test showed improvement. They continue to enjoy their fast-acting carb desserts but are not the least critical of our efforts -- which I appreciate.

Dandi
  #69   ^
Old Wed, May-29-02, 12:23

Thumbs up Way to go!!

Dandi, I think it's great that you and your DH can go to a place like that and "abstain." Of course, because you're on a paleolithic version of LCing, your cravings go way down...more and more as you stay on the WOE. One of my big problems with Atkins is that he allows you to eat a little of the "forbiddens," which keeps the stuff in your system and the cravings stay...somewhat. Even Atkins, though, cuts the cravings tremendously, over time. I can go with my wife to a mexican restaurant or a pizza parlour and eat a salad and be prefectly satisfied. People on Weight Watchers and Atkins don't believe me, and think I have great will-power. Not true! One day of eating the forbidden foods and I'm back to the cravings, just like the worst dieter in the world. So, I stay away from the "poisons and forbiddens" and enjoy myself without feeling deprived, at all! I love this WOE!
  #70   ^
Old Fri, May-31-02, 22:02
Registered Member

Plan: paleo
Stats: 166/131/115
BF:
Progress: 69%

captxray,
When my DH and I ate fast-acting carbs, our appetites were never satisified. I was worse than him in an absolute need to eat in order to keep functioning. When we cut out the fast-acting carbs, that changed. It is really quite amazing. It truly is like becoming free.

I think the fast-acting carbs are poisons in our systems. But they also set up a demand response for more of the poison. Crazy, isn't it??!!

It's interesting that now we can eat all we want, feel totally satisfied when we do eat and still keep losing the excess weight.

Dandi
  #71   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 00:15

Plan: a bit of everything LC
Stats: 141/129.9/123 Female 5'2
BF:still a bit
Progress: 62%
Talking :agree: I've got the same problem

Hi Bailey5225
I've got the same problem just here in Switzerland (even here in Zurich) nobody heard of Atkins and if I tell them that I only eat meat and cheeses - they all look shooked and tell me: But this can't be healthy so I just tell them that I don't like bread and pastas!
I've tried to explain but if you can't read the book you won't understand then at be beginning I was skeptic too!!
Greetings from switzerland the cheese country (let's forget the chocolates!)
  #72   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 22:42

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I just received wonderful results from my blood work. Whenever I get negativity, I will whip out my results for the naysayers to read.

Black57
  #73   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 23:33

Plan: Modified Atkins for Diabetics.
Stats: 401/240/210 Male 73"
BF:
Progress: 84%
Default Negativity...

I don't get much in the way of negativity anymore, when I get any push back at all I pull my photo out of my wallet and aske them if they can see any difference. Then I tell them that "By the Grace of God and Dr. Robert Atkins, I have lost 160 pounds in only 9 months and have kept it off for 2 years. That I was a insulin dependant diabetic with numbers well over 200 before and now my average daily blood sugar is 102!!! Without any medication.

Then I ask them what they would like to know about keeping a low carb lifestyle for health and for life. It is truly a powerful witness and as in all things attitude is everything.

As a Southern Gospel Singer I have been able to give my testamony to hundreds or even thousands of folks during our concerts over the last two years, and many of the regulars remember when I weighed 401 pounds.

I have also been blessed to have many folks come up and tell me that they have lost "X", "Y" or "Z" amount of weight since they heard my story. I simply love that.

Negativity, I can't rent them space in my mind. I know the truth and the truth has set me free. Nothing anyone can say can change the facts or the truth that this lifestyle can work for most people, if they simply apply the principals laid out in the books and I also refer them to this site as well. It's all up to you.
  #74   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 10:22

Plan: atkins
Stats: 220/190/160 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 50%

when people give me a hard time about atkins being "dangerous" i usually ask them if a bag of chips ahoy and a glass of milk would be safer for me? it's maybe a bit of a smart-alecky approach, but honestly, i wasn't eating anything healthy before, just junk and more junk--how bad is that? then i proceed to tell them that i am eating more vegetables and more berries than ever before. i think they are just a little uninformed, that's all