Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-03-12, 00:16
Registered Member

Plan: Carbohydrate Addicts Diet
Stats: 172/159/130 Female 67ins
BF:
Progress: 31%
Question Pure speculation about CAD & marketing

After seeing posts here about how the Heller's (BLESS them!) don't update the site, and how this has ended up a kind of "orphan plan" with no dedicated forums on its own site, I found myself wondering whether it's because it can't really spawn any merchandise, in the form of dedicated snack bars and whatever?

Because your RM can include anything (in CALP within reason, and CAD is a lot more liberal "Have two desserts if you wish." p.122 CAD) there's simply no ROOM for special frankenfood soy methylated-glycolated blah bars that are almost like food....

Every plan from the old F-Plan to Atkins & paleo have endless marketing capacity, but CAD & CALP? Not so much.

Because the unique selling point is "normal foods once a day" that exact USP can't be turned into profit and so probably, the Hellers didn't get the interest from food mnaufacturers to make tie-ins, and so the whole commercial bandwagon never got started, which is what then keeps a diet in front of people's eyes in the shops & media, and makes it a talking point.

Even the "Carb, Calorie & Fat Bible" books that come out yearly are made by an organisation with ties to the aspartame and AS industry, so a key tool in supposedly neutral calorie counting tends to be funded by industry, and not motivated by ideals (which after all won't usually pay the bills!).

Just a theory, I think the Hellers did a great thing there (their thinking informed and improved my choices for years) so obviously no disrespect meant.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-12, 10:18
Registered Member

Plan: Carbohydrate Addicts Diet
Stats: 172/159/130 Female 67ins
BF:
Progress: 31%

Hope it's not against the rules to reply to oneself - if so, apologies - I just wanted to make the seperate point that I believe it's possible that CAD as a practice mutated towards intermittant fasting, which does have the additonal authors, pundits, and so on to make it a commercially viable force.

While I'm not sure if nutritive products will come out of IF, there seems endless room for debate and discussion of eating patterns (eg eating windows vs. one meal per day, macro nutrient proportions, and use of caloric drinks while fasting) enough to last several lifetimes...

Right now, what I'm doing seems to fall somewhere between both, but in light of the popularity of IF I am finding more useful stuff written under that search term, given the relative lack of info on CAD these days.

For example, I found this link about the clear measured benefits of eating LESS frequently by searching IF, and I think it's as useful to those of us doing CAD, CALP, etc:

Better Blood Glucose with Lower Meal frequency

Last edited by MrsSnape : Wed, Jan-04-12 at 10:44.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-12, 13:10
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 159/143/130 Female 161 cm
BF:
Progress: 55%

You make very good points and I totally agree

If you look into any 'diet' plan whether it be Atkins, the Zone, weight watchers, Jenny Craig etc

They are all hyped up and the companies continue investing because there is something to 'sell'. And I'm not saying this is good or bad because for many of the people on the weight watchers boards or whatever they will totally accept the fact they pay a monthly subscription and it's working for them and thats why they do it. But something is still being sold - subscriptions, tracking devices, atificial foods, protein bars or desserts

I also think the IF thing is really interesting and I've looked into it myself (eat, stop, eat and the warrior diet) - I know myself that if I have to eat 5-6 x per day i find it much harder to stay on track because as a person with carb sensitivity there are so many times a day where I have to make sure I get it 'right' not to send me off balance and craving more carbs.

With CAD/CALP there are only 1-2 x and then I get to have something I want every day.

I've had my own demons to deal with with this plan and I have nowhere near stuck to it the way the likes of Eno or Hoppin have but it's somthing i always come back to
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-10-12, 15:07

Plan: Ketogenic Diet Dr Westman
Stats: 267/243.6/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Hmm...interesting theory. I bet you're right.

All I know for sure is it works for me.