Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-29-11, 15:02
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 241/211/145 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Low Carb Pregnancy and Weight-Facts and Fallacies

I have been doing my own little research in this area for past few months,i thought it would be nice to post it here for anyone wanting to know about it more.I gained awful lot weight with each pregnancies and was wondering if there is better healthier way.I was overjoyedand amazed to find that women who actually low carbed throught pregnancy had:

little or no nausea
good energy levels
entire absence of nausea/vomiting
no puffiness
no swelling/edema
no bloated feeling
increased level of well being
very little usual pregnancy complaints like heartburn,cravings,headaches to
name a few
easier birth and recovery
healthy weight babies

I am sold!These same women reported all kinds of crappy symptoms for their previous pregnancies when they did not low carb.

There is very little info on the net on low carb pregnancy,and it is a pretty unchartered territory.I found that women who lowcarbed mainly fell into three categories:some started with good intentions,then fell off the wagon due to nausea,pressure from family memebers/friends,unsupportive doctors and/or lack of knowledge how maintenace works(details in a moment)
the second category actually fought thru it all,keeping the net carbs around 65-75 range ,gained very little pounds(10-30) and dropped them all in a snap.
the third category though very rare,actually armed with info from theirs and others experineces went onto eat healthy low carb,but managed to actually drop some extra unwanted pounds during prgenancy.
For women in the first category,some of them ,in order to increase their net carbs ,ate pasta ,rice and baked junk foods,bites off their kids plate etc,and though they kept their carbs in the range,they still either gained too much or totally fell off.one woman whose blog I was following happened to gain 100 pounds,yes you read that right,while she strugggled with trying to keep everything in control.
From what i have learnt so far,my own experience with weight gain,when we do maintenace,we need to eat low impact carbs.
We need to eat low GI fruits like berries,peaches,apples,plums and eat whole grains with lot of fiber and still stay away from white junk food.
If we absolutely must have desserts and treats,they should be low carb versions so they don;t raise our boold sugar sharply.Plus we need to eat protein with every meal,like meats and fish or cheeses and nuts to curb the insulin rise.We also need to eat frequently every 2-3 hours so or bood sugar is stable.Plus we cannot have more than 20-30 net carbs at a meal.If we don;t follow these golden rules of maintenace phase,we simply create a lot of mess for ourselves.
Pregnancy is not a licence to gorge on white flour junk foods and high carb fare.I am pretty guilty of this for my last preggs.Next time I need to ask myself,what is that huge piece of cake or that big bowl of icecream doing on your plate ,mom?Aren't you supposed to be eating healthy nutritiuos stuff for your growing baby?Or do i fool myself that I got my veggies today bcoz I had carrot cake and pumkin pie ?
Hope this makes sense ,many of us THINK we are low carbing,others ARE low carbing,hope all this makes some sense.
More on this later...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-29-11, 15:14
Registered Member

BF:

There seems to be some doubts surrounding whether ketosis is safe during pregnancy,but everyone seems to be ignoring the fact that high insulin in the body is much more dangerous .Obese moms are at increased risk of complications,both for mom and baby.
the old wives tale of eating for two does not mean eating the calories required for two people,but eating more nutritiously,making each bite count.in other words,taking in more nutritious choices enough for two people ,one for a developing baby.But if moms-to-be eat icecream and cookies and cakes and pizzas all day,nutrion wise very little is gained,while mom puts on a lot of unwanted pounds that is harder to take off later.
I gained 60+ pounds for my first,bcoz i thought i was doing the right thing,eating whatever food came my way,not thinking for a moment about they are needed or it was just my wanting to eat them.
during preggs,we are unusaully hungry,so it makes perfect sense to do a low carb diet,getting enough protein and veggies to fill us up and that also curbs hunger.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-29-11, 16:23

Plan: atkins
Stats: 313/266.4/195.0 Female 5ft 8
BF:
Progress: 39%

Thanks Primrose. I just (like JUST) found out I'm pregnant (my first and still quite early on) and I've been trying to do research about this particular subject so thanks for the infomation, it's helpful. I just have to do a little more research on maintenance and doing it correctly. I want to leave all "white" out. I know I'm at increased risk for so many things with this pregnancy I have to be cautious, so I think this is the best plan. Research here I come. LOL.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-29-11, 17:09
Registered Member

BF:

Congratulations!!!
I am also TTCing and hope for a miracle soon.I did lose weight on atkins couple years back,but when I found I was preggs,I threw the diet out the window.Part of it was due to the fear that I would hurt my baby.I have come a long way low carbwise after that.My mom died of cancer last year,dad died of heart attack,and only bro was diagnosed with diabetes at age 30.he is also obese,I am in the process of educating him on low carbing.
There is plenty of misinformation out there,you need to ignore the false prejudiced info,and that is harder than it sounds.
keep checking this thread often,as i plan to post a lot of info that i found,if it could help someone.
I plan to post a menu/diet that is maintenace which combines Atkins-phase 4(maintenace) and IR diet,brewers preg diet,MM diet,somersizing and low GI.
You can tell I read a lot
I also plan to post some info on weight gain in preg which i was surprised to learn.My only obstacle is time,I need time to type all this.
One reasearch you can do is to find as many low-impact carbs that you can eat and fill your pantry with them,that you are not tempted when you crave something.And believe me there will be big time cravings,and hunger enough to eat an elephant!!
So you need to plan these,and not to mention nuasea some women have ,which throws all good intentions out tthe window too.happened to me twice.But I believe I have found a remedy,not sure until i actually try it myself though.The secret is to keep your blood sugar stable by eating every 2-3 hours mini meals that have less impact on you blood sugar.I believe it will definitely tame that animal.Not sure about the smell-realted nausea though-I think that is hormonal.

The dangers of gaining too much weight in pregnancy
gaining too much weight can put the mother and baby at several risks,increases the chances of c-section ,increases the chances of gestational diabetes and poor sugar balance in the newborn due to high sugar.
The mother also has higher risks of developing full blown diabetes down the road.
A low carb diet with veggies,low GI fruits,whole grains in moderate qty,eggs,low GI diary like yogurt and cheeses,nuts and seeds and plenty of water and low impact exercise if possible seems to me the best way to approach pregnancy.If need be,have low carb desserts that are homemade and be careful to choose a safe sugar substitute for special occasions.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-29-11, 17:12
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

There's been a slew of research lately that shows Mom's high blood sugar in pregnancy is programming the baby to be predisposed to diabetes and obesity.

IMHO it's vital to keep the carbs in control during pregnancy. I'd probably go more for starchy carbs like yams and squash than grains though, to have a slightly higher carb count than Atkins induction.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-29-11, 18:18

Plan: Paleo/atkins
Stats: 289/155/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 96%

I'm hoping to become pregnant soon. what would a "safe" sweetner be?

I'm 38 so I know there are higher risks for me as it is. I've gotten off my bp meds. But I have to continue to exercise to stay off.

I gained over 90lbs with my first and 70 with my second. I lost almost 100 before having my second one. I can't do that again to myself or my child. LC is the only way I will attempt to have another one.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-29-11, 19:17
Registered Member

BF:

kaylakala,
good for you that you decided to try this path.
The answer is I really do not know which sweetener is safe.but i would stay away from aspartame and sacharin.the maltitol/xylitol causes too much bloating and gas and the discomfort is too much on top of preg symptoms.so my only choices are splenda,Low GI agave,erythritol and stevia.
I really don't care about stevia bcoz of the aftertaste.I am still researching on the other three,but nobody gaurantees they are 100% safe.So I think we have to go with our gut feeling on this one.If nothing else,I plan to add some fruit purees to my treats that i will make,and if I can really afford a little more carbs,maybe eat mangoes/dates etc in limited quantities.Still they have to be watched cautiously.i would suggest yu do some research and settle down with one that you like.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-29-11, 19:21

Plan: atkins
Stats: 313/266.4/195.0 Female 5ft 8
BF:
Progress: 39%

I'm excited to see how this thread progresses, we've told few people, my immediate family, and a couple close friends. I have one friend in particular that has already told me I need to start eating better now. Arggg. It's frustrating. I have been craving fruits, which I've eaten sparingly (I live in Jamaica so fruit I have access to is different), but I think fruit and veggies are what I want to up my carbs with. Possibly some sweet potato, etc. but once I add any rice or regular potato I'm done for.

Right now I'm still in shock that I am pregnant LOL, and just hoping it sticks around, but I want to do the best things I can to ensure that. Thank God I've been doing Atkins, because I know all my numbers are down where they are supposed to be, I've also been walking about 2-3 miles today so that's a great thing for me too, not to mention the weight that's been lost (not that I still don't have a LOT of weight on me, but hey it's still 45lbs lighter, so therefore 45lbs healthier).
  #9   ^
Old Sun, May-29-11, 21:16

Plan: Paleo/atkins
Stats: 289/155/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 96%

I'm sooo excited for you. I know I was reading for older women that are pregnant you should be able to walk 3 miles every other day.
As far as sweeters go. I don't like stevia either but if I could mix it with splenda that would work.
I will be eating the extra fruit when the time comes. No rice or potatos that is a downslide for me.
Plenty of flax and stuff like that. Up my dairy intake too.
I ate gallons of ice cream with my oldest and she is VERY heavy at 11. Alot of that does stem from stress from my ex.
My new husband is so awesome to my 2 a baby with him would be wonderful. A real experience I didn't get before.
Can't wait to see where this thread goes too.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, May-29-11, 21:24
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaicame
I'm excited to see how this thread progresses, we've told few people, my immediate family, and a couple close friends. I have one friend in particular that has already told me I need to start eating better now. Arggg. It's frustrating. I have been craving fruits, which I've eaten sparingly (I live in Jamaica so fruit I have access to is different), but I think fruit and veggies are what I want to up my carbs with. Possibly some sweet potato, etc. but once I add any rice or regular potato I'm done for.

How about plantains? They're pretty starchy aren't they? I tend to think starch is better for us than fruit, because of the fructose in fruit.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, May-29-11, 21:39
Registered Member

BF:

Plantains,mangoes,bananas etc are higher on the GI(glycemic index)Even higher are dates,prunes etc..I would eat them cautiuosly,if at all.most tropical fruits are higher in GI.
Best fruits for low crab include all berries-strawberry,blueberry,raspberry,blackberry,etc and slightly higher ones like peaches,plums,nectarines and then apples,grapes etc.But we also need to have portion control on them.most women who had success low carbing in preggs,I noticed they ate the berries and the like for fruits.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, May-29-11, 22:32

Plan: general LC
Stats: 191/140/133 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 88%

Is there a reason to up carbs with fruit or starches just because of pregnancy? If you were LC'ing without them before, I'm not sure I get why adding them in would be beneficial if just to add them for the sake of upping carbohydrate intake. Even amounts of low GI carbs are going to spill glucose into the bloodstream and raise insulin levels. I think lower carb fruits are simply a better choice.

This is something I had a hard time wrapping my brain around at the beginning of my recent pregnancy, everything that has been drilled into our heads is all about eating "balanced" and including "healthy servings of fruit and vegetables." With all of the reading and research I did I was able to come to the conclusion that there was no reason for me to add carbs into my diet just for the sake of doing so because I was pregnant. But for me to have intentionally eaten fruits or starches would have dramatically increased my carb intake, since my diet was mostly meat, eggs, some cheese, and occasionally some vegs or berries for a bit of flavor. I kept my daily carbs less than 30, closer to 10, and I was able to enjoy a most wonderful pregnancy free from all those usual pregnancy symptoms. I couldn't have made a better single choice for myself and my baby, and am thankful I was armed with this info prior to my pregnancy .
  #13   ^
Old Sun, May-29-11, 23:16
Registered Member

BF:

I agree about adding only lower carb fruits,and also even fruits can cause rise in blood sugar levels.But i also wonder about the antioxidants and phytonutrients that fruits have to offer.Unless we could find equivalent substitutes in veggies.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, May-29-11, 23:30
Registered Member

BF:

I had put off TTCing for 3 yrs bcoz I thought I needed to lose weight first.I didn't want to gain too much on top what I already have.And I knew the risks of that.Then I found that time was running out for me,so I wondered if I can do low carbing in pregnancy.To my surprise I found several forums where women actually did exactly that.But further research revealed another important study.I was even more amazed why this study did not get the publicity it deserved.I feel like I wasted so many yrs to TTC.Only if someone had told me about this before.that is my whole reason for starting this thread.So that anyone like me might be able to make use of this info.the foll: article has appeared on this forum (in one of the archive files),but i am re-posting it here.
Many obese women are told to hold off being pregnant,but what if they cannot reach their goals and time runs out on them?There is hope for such a situation....read on.
Obesity risks
Birth brings more difficulties. The fetuses of obese women are often too large to fit through the birth canal; their mothers are about twice as likely as normal-weight women to need a Caesarean section. Longer surgical instruments are required, as are extra-wide operating-room tables, reinforced to support hundreds of additional pounds.
To head off such problems, patients at the bariatric obstetric clinic at St. Louis University in Missouri are counseled not to put on any pounds at all during pregnancy, and are even encouraged to lose weight. Dr. Raul Artal, the chairman of the ob-gyn department and the clinic’s director, acknowledges that the notion of weight loss during pregnancy can be startling. “It goes against everything we were taught in medical school, everything we’ve always told our patients,” he says. Some scientists warn that we still know little about the potential dangers of this approach. Emerging evidence, however, suggests that obese women who maintain or lose weight during pregnancy experience significantly fewer complications and deliver healthier babies.
We know that children have sensitive vulnerabilities that are quite distinct from adults. Their exposure to chemicals in our environment is more potentially damaging than the same exposure at a later age. It is important to realize that the diet a woman eats during her pregnancy and even before her pregnancy effects the adult health of her future offspring. For example, a recent study shows a strong association in children who develop brain tumors with the mother’s consumption of hotdogs during pregnancy.1 Scientific evidence suggests that cigarette smoking during pregnancy is associated with testicular cancer in sons thirty-five to fifty years later.2 We may get away with risky behaviors when we imbibe in our later years, but when we gamble with our children, the stakes are much higher and the damage more profound.
Many rumors surround the effects of breastfeeding on women’s bodies, from saggy breasts to stretch marks, but breastfeeding is a foolproof way to lose weight, according to Dr Artal. “Breastfeeding is probably one of the main interventions postpartum that not only benefits the newborn but also the mother,” he says. On average, women who breastfeed can burn up to an extra 600 calories per day.
Dr Artal recommends feasting on nutrient-dense foods, such as vegetables, lean meats and complex carbohydrates.
The conventional wisdom holds that a mom shouldn't be losing weight while pregnant because there is an implicit assumption that the mother would be restricting calories; she would be semi-starving herself, therefore she would be starving the fetus, which would obviously be a problem, for both mother and fetus.
Pregnancy has its perks — taking it easy and indulging in cravings like gorging on ice cream.

But those long-cherished traditions are challenged at one St. Louis clinic, where overweight pregnant women are maintaining and even losing weight through a closely supervised diet and exercise program.

"The assumption was that no woman should lose weight during pregnancy," said Dr. Raul Artal, director of the SLUCare Pregnancy Bariatric Clinic, one of just a few in the country dedicated to treating overweight mothers-to-be. "Over the years I noticed that obese women that didn't gain weight do better in pregnancy."

It's estimated that 50 percent of women are overweight when they get pregnant and go on to gain even more during pregnancy. Obesity during pregnancy is known to raise the risk of gestational diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea and gallbladder disease.

For the babies, the risks are higher for stillbirth, premature delivery and birth defects such as spina bifida. Babies of overweight moms also tend to be heavier at birth, with half needing to be delivered via C-section.

And studies increasingly show that children of obese mothers are more likely to become obese themselves.

Concern for their babies helps make pregnant women especially motivated to change unhealthy behavior.

"We look at pregnancy as an opportune time to intervene to get maximum cooperation and impact," Artal said. "What we have demonstrated is that changing the lifestyle is not only safe but also desirable."

The goal for the patients is to come out 25 pounds lighter after delivery than they were pre-pregnancy. That means the mother must keep her weight steady for nine months after factoring in the gain for the baby's weight, extra fluids and other pregnancy-related pounds.

The idea of losing weight during pregnancy is not an easy sell, Artal said. Some balk at the notion that a baby can grow even as the mother shrinks.

But "the baby is a parasite," Artal said. "There is always preferential transfer of nutrients to the baby even under the most adverse conditions."

Kim Rurack's twin boys were born strong and healthy five months ago after she lost about 30 pounds while pregnant.Rurack followed the clinic's low-carb diet and exercise plan throughout the pregnancy."Of course I was motivated because I wanted healthy babies," said Rurack, 38, of Belleville. "I was eating what I knew was good for me and them."None of Rurack's pre-pregnancy clothes fit when she came home from the hospital a total of 60 pounds lighter.

"Afterwards, I felt like a completely different person," she said. "You look like you lost weight overnight almost."

Women who enroll in the clinic must have a body-mass index of 35 or above, which qualifies them as obese. For example, a 5-foot-5-inch woman who weighs 210 pounds would be eligible.

The patients come once a week to the clinic at St. Mary's Medical Center in Richmond Heights, where they meet with a nutritionist to review their eating and workout schedule. The pregnancies are considered high-risk, so the women receive more frequent ultrasounds to monitor their babies' growth.

Dieting during pregnancy has long been thought to be dangerous for the baby. Weight Watchers, for example, bans pregnant women from its program.

But the notion of pregnant moms needing to "eat for two" is a myth, Artal said. Women require just 300 extra calories a day in the later stages of pregnancy, according to the American Dietetic Association.

Women on the clinic's program typically eat 2,000 to 2,500 calories a day.

"We are talking about normal diets sufficient to sustain a normal-weight person," Artal said.

The increase in obesity in the U.S. has raised questions about the standard amount of weight a woman should gain during pregnancy. Because many women gain too much or don't lose the weight after giving birth, it's thought that pregnancy has contributed to the obesity epidemic.

The Institute of Medicine, a national nonprofit group that develops guidelines for health, currently recommends that women of normal weight gain 25 to 35 pounds during pregnancy, overweight women gain between 15 and 25 and obese women gain at least 15.

But those guidelines were written nearly 20 years ago with the goal of reducing the number of low-birthweight infants. Now, the institute is reviewing the guidelines and could make changes as soon as the spring.

Artal hopes it approves lower numbers, particularly for obese mothers.

"Fifteen pounds is 15 pounds too many in my opinion," he said.

EXERCISE BENEFITS

As one of the first advocates of exercise for pregnant women, Artal has long been at the forefront of challenging conventional norms for pregnancy and health.

It took him 20 years to convince doctors and patients that exercise in pregnancy was safe, he said, and expects it could take another 20 years before people believe that overweight pregnant women can drop pounds and still deliver normal, healthy babies.

His most recent research should help his cause.

A study of 120,000 Missouri women found that overweight and obese women who gained less than 15 pounds during pregnancy had lower rates of C-sections, high blood pressure and large babies. Artal and his colleagues previously found that exercise during pregnancy cuts the risk of gestational diabetes in half.

At 27 weeks pregnant, Penny Cooley shows no signs of diabetes. She developed gestational diabetes during her first pregnancy four years ago. And after having trouble losing weight from that pregnancy, Cooley eventually developed type II diabetes.

"You think you can eat whatever you want and you can gain as much weight, but in the end it is so much harder to lose all that weight," said Cooley, 23, of Collinsville. "I wouldn't have to do this if I would have lost the weight and exercised and buckled down."

Now Cooley has lost 4 pounds in her second pregnancy under the care of Artal. She said she was shocked by the idea of not gaining weight during pregnancy but excited to give it a try.

Each week Cooley goes over her progress with a nutritionist. They review her daily menus and exercise routine, which typically involves long walks, plus housework and playing outside with her young son and their puppy.

Instead of ordering out for the chicken wings she craves, Cooley makes them at home, baked in the oven. She has substituted turkey burgers for hamburgers, and carries sugar-free gum and candy.

At a recent appointment, Cooley's blood sugar levels were normal.

"I want to be a good example for my son and my little one on the way to eat healthy and everything," she said. "My children deserve to have me in their life as long as possible."
  #15   ^
Old Sun, May-29-11, 23:32
Registered Member

BF:

In a small 2007 study, Artal and his colleagues followed 96 obese pregnant women with gestational diabetes who either self-enrolled in a diet-and-exercise program designed to help them control their weight gain, or followed the diet typically prescribed to women with gestational diabetes.
The researchers found that women in either group who maintained or lost weight were less likely to have a larger-than-normal newborn. And there was no evidence that weight loss harmed fetal growth.
Artal, who was also the lead author on the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists current guidelines on exercise during pregnancy, contended that obese women “can safely maintain or even lose weight, under close medical supervision.”
Artal has been critical of the IOM recommendations that obese women gain 11 to 20 pounds during pregnancy, arguing that such weight gain not only raises the odds of pregnancy complications like pre-eclampsia, but also contributes to women’s lifetime weight problems and the associated health risks. Obese women commonly retain excess fat that they gain with each pregnancy.
In an article published earlier this year in the journal Obstetrics & Gynecology, Artal and colleagues at Yale University and Duke University also criticized the IOM guidelines for not considering the different classes of obesity when advising pregnant women on weight gain.
So with the messages on weight gain differing, what should obese pregnant women do?
Artal said his general advice is for women to eat a “nutrient-rich” diet — which would include plenty of fruits, vegetables, legumes and high-fiber grains — and to aim to take a 30-minute walk everyday as a form of low-impact physical activity.
He also advised all obese pregnant women to manage their weight only under the guidance of their obstetrician — if possible, one with experience in managing high-risk pregnancies.
Diet

Most pregnant women have a misconception of pregnancy as a period of indulgence. According to obstetrician-gynecologist Dr. Raul Artal, indulging on food high in calories such as sweets can pose a danger of pre-eclampsia, high blood pressure, or diabetes. “Eating for two" during pregnancy applies more to the amount of nutrients that a pregnant woman should consume rather than the amount of calories. Foods that are high in nutrients such as vegetables, fruits, nuts, lean meats and low-fat dairy products are more recommended. The top 5 nutrients that pregnant women actually need are calcium, folate, iron, protein, and vitamin C. Eating healthy can also decrease the feeling of tiredness and fatigue. Finally, avoid skipping meals during pregnancy. According to Dr. Laura Caufield, the risk of having premature labor increases among those who habitually skip meals. Eating breakfast is also important to avoid feeling lightheaded, famished, and sick to your stomach.