Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-15-11, 15:54

Plan: ProteinPower/WAPF
Stats: 163/163/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Lowcarbing & Breastfeeding...

I know this has been discussed before, but I can't find the old threads. I am a breastfeeding an almost 3 month old infant, I have about 35lbs to lose. I don't really follow a specific low carb diet, but rather have my own philosophy from all the different low carb diet plans I've read. I'm shooting for 100 carbs a day as a breastfeeding mom, that includes some moderate exercise each day. Do you think this is low enough to lose weight, if all my carbs are "good" carbs (ie. little to no bread, no white sugar or refined foods)?

Are there any other moms who have been breastfeeding and followed a low carb diet plan and had success reaching their goal weight? What did you do to reach your goal?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-16-11, 08:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 232/208.8/154 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyScott
Do you think this is low enough to lose weight, if all my carbs are "good" carbs (ie. little to no bread, no white sugar or refined foods)?

Are there any other moms who have been breastfeeding and followed a low carb diet plan and had success reaching their goal weight? What did you do to reach your goal?

I think it's a good goal to start with. See how your body and baby handle it, and adjust accordingly.

I had trouble dropping below 50 carbs while BFing because it seemed to change the taste of my milk and bring on nursing strikes.

Here's the only other thread I can find: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=418366
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-16-11, 22:55

Plan: turtle style atkins
Stats: 202/166.4/145 Female 63 inches
BF:35.8%/29.5%/25.7%
Progress: 62%

I am having a hard time thinking how you would get 100 gms carbs without those things, assuming you are including pasta when you say excluding "bread". Maybe you are into high carb beans - but some tend to make babies gassy in my experience.

Sorry I don't have any answers, but want to encourage you in both the BF and the LC! Would have to agree with Katzue - adjust accordingly.

DRINK A LOT OF WATER!!! & Good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-17-11, 11:56

Plan: ProteinPower/WAPF
Stats: 163/163/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I drink a lot of fresh milk about a quart a day.