Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-24-11, 06:37

Plan: low carb/high fat
Stats: 179/154/135 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 57%
Default Losing weight

I'm just curious as to if anyone is still losing weight?? I'm still losing and sometimes I get worried. I know I'm eating enough. Won't my body kinda balance out on it's own and I'll stop losing weight?? Or, do I need to up my carb intake?? I read the article that Walnut put in her "ketosis" thread and the doctor's wife on there followed strict low carb/high fat with under 20 carbs a day.

Here's my food diary from yesterday.

Breakfast: cup Greek yogurt with heavy cream, 2 tbsp mixed sunflower seeds, unsweetened coconut, crushed walnuts and pecans.

Snack: 2 boiled eggs

Lunch: BLT Cobb salad from Wendy's with avocado dressing.

Edited cause I forgot to add coffee in the morning with heavy cream.

Dinner: Grilled boneless chicken breast topping with one slice swiss cheese and sauteed onion and green pepper. Broccoli for my side.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-24-11, 15:13

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

hi

you're not overweight at all right now (your profile says you weigh 132 and your goal weight was 135) so you dont have a lot of fat stores to draw on. you're also about halfway thru your pregnancy when your baby's growth is really going to take off.

it seems like you probably need more calories thru fat or more carbs to stop from losing weight and to have enough cal's on board for your baby to grow. also, do you have enough energy? getting enough calcium? etc? there are so many variables. it's still possible to eat a healthy lowcarb lifestyle and to increase your carbs to keep from losing weight. if you werent pregnant and were just at maintenance levels right now you'd probably need to be eating more to maintian. something like the bradley diet is really similar to atkins maintenance levels of eating: http://www.bradleybirth.com/Diet.aspx for a point of reference.

on the other hand, if you have problems with gestational diabetes or pregnancy induced hypertension, you might want to steer more towards what some of the articles in the 'benefits of ketosis' thread are suggesting. it's a really personal decision and i think you need to listen to being worried about losing weight as you have posted.

i'm only at 10 weeks right now and i feel fine with losing weight at this point, but i'm still about 50 lbs overweight, not at goal like you are. i think probably around 20 weeks, i will reevaluate and probably start eating more (either fat or carbs or both, i will have to figure that out in a couple of months!!)

anyways, good luck, i'm sure you'll figure out what's best for you and your baby!!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-27-11, 05:53

BF:

Thanks, Walnut, for that info. I decided to up my carbs and now I'm going in the opposite direction. Haha I've gained 2 pounds in 2 days. Not quite sure what I'm doing wrong or if I should just throw my scale out the window. I'm leaning towards the scale. LOL

Here's what I ate yesterday......

Breakfast.......coffee with heavy cream, 1 cup greek yogurt with 2 tbsp mixed sunflower seeds, unsweetened coconut, walnuts, and pecans.

Snack......1 1/2 celery sticks with 2 tbsp natural peanut butter

Lunch.......raw broccoli with low carb blue cheese dressing

Dinner........2 egg omelet with butter, heavy cream, spinach, and a little feta, 3 slices bacon, and 1/8 pkg of sf jello for dessert.

I felt like I ate very healthy so I'm not understanding the weight jump. This morning I was up a whole pound. Also, I should add that I drink one cup of coffee in the morning and decaf, unsweetened, home-brewed tea the rest of the day.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-27-11, 06:08

Plan: NANY
Stats: 503/405/175 Male 72 inches
BF:plenty :)
Progress: 30%

I think some people are just naturally thin, and that for them, thinness is not an indication of unhealthiness.

As long as you are healthy, and there are no other reasons to change your diet (pregnancy might well be a good reason), my inclination is not to change things up all that much.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-27-11, 08:21

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

i think it's likely that you are gaining water weight right now. Big jumps like that arent usually fat or muscle gain.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-29-11, 05:18

BF:

Soooooo, I made the decision to put the scale up and not use it the rest of my pregnancy. I allowed myself to eat a chinese dinner that hubby got me the other night. That night I was up all night with horrible anxiety. I'm obsessing about it and I recognize that it's NOT good. I've got to accepted the fact that I'm not a perfect eater 100% of the time and that I'm gonna gain weight cause I'm pregnant. I'm gonna eat healthy, low-carb, high-fat with a "cheat" meal or dessert every once in a great while and do my best not to worry about it. Seriously, I was weighing myself about 15 times a day. Thanks for listening to my vent. lol
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-29-11, 05:22

BF:

Guess I should add that I went to midwife on Tuesday and had gained 5 pounds. 5 pounds in one month!!!!! I did talk to her about it and she wasn't worried. She said that I look healthy and I need to stop thinking about the pounds. That no matter how much weight I gain, as long as it's from healthy foods and not junk, it's not an issue. So, I'm gonna do my best to NOT think about how much I'm gaining and concentrate on having a healthy baby via healthy food and momma.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-30-11, 02:43
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 241/211/145 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 31%

Hi Eriksgirl,
I think you should stop worrying about that 'initial ' weight gain.When you have been very lowcarbing,and then you add a little carbs to your diet,you will initially gain about 5 pounds or so in a week,and that's just your glycogen stores filling out plus some water.
But once you continue at that level,you will see that weight gain slows off,unless you do something drastic,say eat a whole b'day cake in one sitting;-)
I was stressing about my own weight bcoz I am overweight by 40 pounds and bcoz of my nausea(yep,still have it),I am unable to return to low carbing.but I am now eating much healthier than i started off,and I eyeball carb portions.no carbs are off-limits for me now,including treats,I have them if I want to,but I keep an eye on portion sizes.I found that I am gaining around 4 pounds a month average and thats not bad compared to 10 pounds a month gain for last pregnancy.adding the fact that I am not even lowcarbing!
A typical day I have:
lower carb toast(helps with morn nausea for me)
cream cheese/all fruit spread/hazelnut butter/melted Gouda cheese plus tea,no cream
snack:apple
lunch:chicken salad,broiled squash/broccoli/spinach/sauteed cabbage,sometimes brown rice with it
snack:eggs/yogurt/kefir/low carb homemade desserts/fruit like orange,grapes,1/2 banana with almond butter/pomegranate
dinnerven-roasted veggies(onions,peppers,leeks,turnips,beets,carrots,sweet potatoes),brolied salmon
glass of low carb milk

I also eat dates/watermelon/mangoes occasionally and found no problem.as long as I keep eating every three hours with portion control.
when I indulge,usually its garlic bread,fried rice,pancakes etc and I try to use low carb versions.
You should expect a weight loss of 20-30 pouds postpartum,10 more if you breastfeed.factor that in and you will know how much you should gain/lose/maintain.
my goal was to maintain/lose about 10 pounds,I need to lower my carbs a little more,and I plan to add more veggies and cheese to my diet.I have found that when I eat 90% healthy fiber-filled foods,I don't really crave absurd things.well,there are some days I take it likely,I don't want to be too hard on myself,as long as I eat a clean diet most time.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Sep-30-11, 10:58

Plan: low-carb/high-fat
Stats: 324/184/150 Female 5.5 feet
BF:
Progress: 80%

I'm on board with your midwife - eat healthy, and don't worry about the weight. If you'd gained 5 pounds because you decided to eat bags of Doritos, then I'd be concerned :P

I'm only 14 weeks 3 days now, but I was about 187 when I found out I was pregnant (had just returned from vacation!), and now I'm holding steady around 175-176. My OB said they will do additional growth scans (ultrasounds) later on to make sure the baby is growing and developing well because she's not sure I'll gain like a normal patient, but as long as the baby is healthy, I'm not going to fret
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Oct-01-11, 06:23

BF:

Thanks, Primrose and Jillybean, for your advice. This is my 6th pregnancy, but the only one that I have made a concerted effort to eat healthy. With my others, I gained between 45-50 pounds and lost very little afterward. My last pregnancy I went from 135 to 180 and my weight "settled" at 167. That has been my whole thought with this pregnancy is that I don't want to weigh 165-170 after having the baby. For whatever reason, my body does NOT lose any weight at all 'til I'm completely done BF'ing and my hormones have gone back to "normal". I went back to LC after weaning my daughter and it took 2 months to lose a single pound. sighing However, my husband thinks that I'm going overboard with gaining weight and should just relax. So, that's what I am trying to do. I'm eating LC, lots of fat, veggies, but no fruit. I take my vitamin every day as well as calcium and DHA.

Primrose, it sounds like you are doing GREAT!!!!! I'm glad you're morning sickness isn't as bad as it was. Jillybean, I am praying that you have a very healthy baby.